Upgrade from P3S to Mavic. Any one did it?

Reaction score
I have been happily flying my P3S since last 8 months now. Was thinking to upgrade to a Mavic Pro some time soon. The main reason for update will be compatibility, I had come across many situations where I could not fly P3S just because I could not carry the drone till the location from where I want to fly. Did any one make similar decision to jump from P3S to Mavic Pro?

had considered it and just decided to buy a drone backpack so I can take it anywhere I want I don't personally like the RC on the Mavic it just reminds me of a play station remote If I upgrade in the future which I plan to do I will see what's available at that time but right now my heart is set on the P3P as an upgrade

Did any one make similar decision to jump from P3S to Mavic Pro?
I own both and like to take my Mavic with me when I need to pack something that's a bit more portable. It's a great aircraft.

I saw some ebay sellers are selling refurbished mavic for 799 probably will try to find out some deal. As I already have a back pack loaded with slr, lenses gopro etc another back pack for drone will be touch to handle.. :D may be I will give a try to those back pack mounts for drones..

I saw some ebay sellers are selling refurbished mavic for 799 probably will try to find out some deal. As I already have a back pack loaded with slr, lenses gopro etc another back pack for drone will be touch to handle.. :D may be I will give a try to those back pack mounts for drones..
I have the Ultimaxx version of the Manfrotto backpack and it works great for lugging a Phantom around. When I go on a trip, I can bundle up everything I own that is drone related into a single bag. It's 22x14x9, which is usually the max size for airline carry on luggage.

Pros
You'll have enough space for the Phantom, extra batteries, charger, extra props, camera, water bottle, tripod, laptop, DSLR and lens, rain cover

Cons
It's a big bag, you'll look like you are going camping

Reactions: KentA
Just finished mine and was out flying it last night

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Reactions: Neon Euc
Your thoughts?

Fun little project if you have a spare P3 to convert. it flies completely different IMO. Just something to mess around with not a daily driver at all.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Fun little project if you have a spare P3 to convert. it flies completely different IMO. Just something to mess around with not a daily driver at all.
"Good" different, "just" different, or "what did I just do" different?

I have been happily flying my P3S since last 8 months now. Was thinking to upgrade to a Mavic Pro some time soon. The main reason for update will be compatibility, I had come across many situations where I could not fly P3S just because I could not carry the drone till the location from where I want to fly. Did any one make similar decision to jump from P3S to Mavic Pro?

Same here - just got my Mavic - switched from P1. Great Drone, so many times in the mountains and stuff
could not carry the P1 (traveling by train) - now I can I take the Mavic everywhere I go...

"Good" different, "just" different, or "what did I just do" different?

Its way more twitchy with the controls, moves around a bit more. Fun to fly but again, not something I would probably go any distance with at the moment. It moves when it hovers more than with the original shell did. Like I said its fun project if you have a spare one, its different.

Feels like I'm in constant sport mode flying my P4 with this thing when cruising around. Need to see if I can adjust the gains or exp to not have it be so fast on the controls.

Hover test after conversion

Last edited:
I haven't flown either of my P3S in about almost a year now. Since the conversion I have flown the following

Distance from home point: 900 feet
Total Distance: 16925 feet
Highest Flight: 225 feet
Total Airtime: 38 mins
Max Speed: 24-26 mph
Battery Flight Time: 13 mins is the longest so far

A few pictures and video's shot, they are not as clear as my P4 but not bad either. I haven't tried anything such as waypoints, panorama's etc. Kind of fun just to fly around in front of the house with it.

I have a P3S too and have both a hard case (Nanuk) and a cheap backpack. The Backpack works great when I can’t use my wheeled hard case. When I want to bring my DSLR I just clip a Peak design capture clip to the strap and it holds my camera securely and is instantly ready. I also have a Peak Design shell (neophrene) cover that covers my camera in case of bad weather. I love this setup as it works great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl