UPDATE WARNING P3A_FW_V01.11.0020.bin

Reaction score
I recently, reluctantly, updated my P3A to the P3A_FW_V01.11.0020.bin because we were told that DJI would ground us if we didn't. Well, I wish I hadn't updated because that was the last day it flew.

I have been in touch with DJI about it and they walked me through instructions twice now but all we have achieved is a dead Phantom that refuses to accept any updates whatsoever. DJI finished up by telling me to send it to them for repair.

So I will be left with a bill for 100s of pounds because I followed DJI instructions, and attempted to update not because I mistreated or crashed my P3A.

I was hoping to buy a Mavic but this has seriously affected my plans and I am now waiting for a more reliable competitor because I don't want this to happen to me again.

B4 you go all negative about DJI give them a chance. I realize this Forum has had a lot of negative comments about DJI but I have had several repair experiences that have gone fine. Have you tried any of the routines to wipe the memory card clean(their were several posts on clearing and reinstalling FW, or going back several versions). I doubt they will charge you if in fact it had an issue with the upgrade, problem is the amount of time you will be without it.

Keep positive I decided to go with DJI because they are one of the leaders in drone technology.

I'm pleased for you but read again what I have said. I consulted DJI and followed their instructions to the letter, twice as yhey walked me through the process. I have wasted a huge amount of time waiting for it to not install updates and the conclusion from DJI is for me to send it to them for a pricey repair. This would be ok if I had damaged it but it was because DJI insisted that I update the software on an otherwise perfect P3A.
If this is what they will want me to do on everything I buy from them, I am not so sure that I want to risk it on a Mavic having burned my fingers on this one.

I've never known DJI not to send pre paid postage when asking someone to send them their Phantom. I'm guessing they did this in your case and you forgot to mention that? What information do you have that it's going to cost you hundreds of pounds? Did DJI specifically tell you this?

I've never known DJI not to send pre paid postage when asking someone to send them their Phantom. I'm guessing they did this in your case and you forgot to mention that? What information do you have that it's going to cost you hundreds of pounds? Did DJI specifically tell you this?
There was no mention of a prepaid envelope. This is an old drone, why would they do it free.
Anyway, I would still be without it all because they insist on fiddling with the software in the first place. That's asking for trouble idn't it?

If it's their firmware that bricked your device then DJI usually does it for free.... That's what I have learned after reading so many posts about bricked updates in the past.

Strange...
Received 2 drones new in space of a month...
The old one because esc errors (2 years waranty)
Second one because it fall due esc errors (again).

Didn`t pay nothing...

One thing we agree : 1.11 is a piece of crap!! Gonna fly now hoping nothing bad happen,,,...

Strange...
Received 2 drones new in space of a month...
The old one because esc errors (2 years waranty)
Second one because it fall due esc errors (again).

Didn`t pay nothing...

One thing we agree : 1.11 is a piece of crap!! Gonna fly now hoping nothing bad happen,,,...
That's a little confusing. I think you mean that you didn't pay anything. Also, ESC errors are normally due to a component failure and shouldn't be anything to do with 1.11.20.
I can't help thinking that there should be a firmware resest that takes the mackine back to a common start point that enables it to receive new software. In my case, I suspect that the update has damaged a piece of software that should have been in the firmware microprogram.
Perhaps I've been unlucky, but it scares me off DJI a little too.

Hello Paul,

I am new to this Forum but after speaking with a DJI dealer here in Australia I have since DOWNGRADED the Firmware of the Phantom 3 Pro for the Controller - it's easy to do but as yet I can't find a copy of the older version of Firmware for the actual copter. Trying to locate someone who does have a copy of that Firmware is easier said than done. Fingers crossed someone will have a copy they can share with all of us!!

Reactions: Paul Wingfield
Hello Paul,

I am new to this Forum but after speaking with a DJI dealer here in Australia I have since DOWNGRADED the Firmware of the Phantom 3 Pro for the Controller - it's easy to do but as yet I can't find a copy of the older version of Firmware for the actual copter. Trying to locate someone who does have a copy of that Firmware is easier said than done. Fingers crossed someone will have a copy they can share with all of us!!
I wish I hadn't updated mine. It was super before, and now it's worth more as parts.

Thanks Paul, I have since been able to locate some older Firmware versions, and have uploaded older firmware via my tablet on to the Controller, but so far loading older firmware on to the copter isn't as easy as it sounds - though one video on youtube makes it look easy. See:
So, i am hopeful now to try again to load older firmware tomorrow and hopefully it will all go back to its old settings, fingers crossed. Dave.

Dave,

I saw that video and tried it. It's good for coupling the controller but didn't work for me. I would be interested in the links for the old firmware if it works for you though.
Could you post them here, please?

I've spoken to DJI again and if it was under warranty there would probably have been no charge but I bought it second hand so it's likely to cost me more than it's worth. I will probably have to scrap it if I can't fix it. I rated DJI highly before all this and was going to upgrade to a Mavic or P4P but this has really frightened me away from them.

Paul

Reactions: brianminkc
I have managed to find a guy who lives close to me who has a Phantom 3 4K, not the Pro model... he HASN'T upgraded Firmware!! Being the newer model which doesn't have light bridge (works on wifi)
it is limited to 1.2km distance but for what I do photographing Real Estate it should be fine. He crashed his so the camera and gimbal broke - but I can use mine on his craft and I should have a working unit!
He wants just $350 for his and the copter body is as new, whereas mine has too many scrapes and dings to count!..., so fingers crossed I'll be back in the air soon!
The Firmware links are on THIS Forum webpage - see: DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Hope that helps,

Dave.

I have managed to find a guy who lives close to me who has a Phantom 3 4K, not the Pro model... he HASN'T upgraded Firmware!! Being the newer model which doesn't have light bridge (works on wifi)
it is limited to 1.2km distance but for what I do photographing Real Estate it should be fine. He crashed his so the camera and gimbal broke - but I can use mine on his craft and I should have a working unit!
He wants just $350 for his and the copter body is as new, whereas mine has too many scrapes and dings to count!..., so fingers crossed I'll be back in the air soon!
The Firmware links are on THIS Forum webpage - see: DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Hope that helps,

Dave.
FYI that the gimbal/camera of a P34K and a P3P are not interchangeable. Many have asked about that here. Unfortunately a few have also tried it before asking here and in the worst cases have reported smoke and melting wires.

Last edited:

Hope that helps,

Dave.
The parts on the 4K and the Pro/Advanced are not interchangable. If you try to put the 4k camera or your or vice versa, you will burn the cameras up. It is all different, wiring, firmware, lightbridge vs WIFI etc.

Dave,
I am envious and hope that it works out for you.
I checked the link and it looks really useful for P3Pro owners. Sadly, mine is a P3Advanced.
Good luck,
Paul

I checked the link and it looks really useful for P3Pro owners. Sadly, mine is a P3Advanced.
Good luck,
Paul
Paul, the link he sent you went to the P3P tab, but if you scroll to the top you can switch to the P3A tab to find P3A specific info. You can also find links to old FW version and release notes in this post.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj