P3 Firmware Update Required

Reaction score
P3 Standard. Ordered a new battery, and the first time I used it I got a message on the App under Aircraft Status that a firmware update was required (not available, but required). I ignored it and launched anyway, since I had a Safe to Fly prompt. For the first 30 seconds or so the Phantom flew fine, but then when I took my hands off the sticks, it kept drifting away, I couldn't stop it, and it eventually hit a tree. Fortunately no damage other than one broken prop. I decided I better update the firmware. I had no wi-fi available so I had to download the update over a weak cell phone signal, and it took forever. But I finally got it installed (version 1.8.10). I re-calibrated IMU and the compass, and then flew successfully that evening and the next two days with no problems, and I everything seems fine now.

So, was it the new battery, the firmware update required message, a combination? If the update is really "required," why does the App let you take off anyway (especially since this apparently led to a fly away)? Believe me, I'll take the message seriously from now on. That was a sick feeling when it smacked the tree.

I have a feeling the reason it drifted when you took the hand of the sticks is because you may have had it in ATTI mode. What we really need is for you to upload the log files so we can see

Neon Euc

I have a feeling the reason it drifted when you took the hand of the sticks is because you may have had it in ATTI mode. What we really need is for you to upload the log files so we can see

Neon Euc
Could you direct me to a description of how to upload log files? I would really like to know what those files may reveal about the incident. I'm virtually certain it was in GPS mode when I took off. It went into ATTI mode after it crashed. Also, even though I tried to stop the motors by holding the left stick down once I knew it was on the ground, when I got to it the motors were still running and I had to shut off the battery to stop them. Finally, when I said drifted I should have said it kept flying. It was moving in a straight line at a slow but steady pace. All that said, I certainly agree it could have been operator error on my part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav