Update P4 or Not?

Reaction score
I have been flying my P4 using the Litchi app and am totally happy with my performance. This combination does all I need to do and I don't have any issues. Being an engineer by trade I tend to always have things updated to the latest versions. However, after reading all the horror stories on here I have a simple question.

Since I am happy with my flying is there any reason to update to the latest firmware or should I just stay with what's working for me?

It's really your call. If you're sure you'll gain nothing by updating, then updating is likely not going to improve anything for you.

My upgrade went flawlessly. I did the upgrade when it was first released and no reports of unstable flying brought on by the new firmware had been posted yet.

If I were facing the upgrade decision today, I'd try find the percentage of users who experienced problems.

This way I'd have some idea of my chances of success. If 1 out of 10 had problems I'd be more inclined to upgrade than I would if 9 out of 10 had problems.

Reactions: ifsteve
My advice is not update, I updated and the camera is reset in mid-flight. Go through the DJI forums and you will see all the people with problems and DJI doing nothing, almost a month later.

My upgrade went flawlessly as well, and I have not noticed any of the issues that others are reporting.

In fact, the tilted horizon that has been a constant annoyance since I first got the P4, is now gone. It holds the horizon perfectly straight after this update. I also really like 'Tripod' mode. This allows for some very smooth filming of static or slow moving subjects, and it works great for this.

That said, the issues that some folks are reporting are very significant and can really take the fun out of this hobby, and, there is no straightforward way to revert to any prior firmware.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will just pass on the update. The improvements don't seem to outweigh the risks of a problem. I was more concerned that there was something really needed in the udpates...ie., if I didn't do it I was flying on borrowed time.

Unfortunately or otherwise, you will only see challenges with some folks having problems with any RW or software upgrades posted. I've had a few rumblings about some of the aspects of both but after some help from people on this forum, my P4 performs just fine with both the GO app and Litchi.

I've read a lot of reports on serious issues after upgrading to the latest firmware, so I plan to hold off until these issues are resolved. Right now, my P4/NVidia Shield K-1 is working very well with both GO4 and Litchi, and I don't see the risk of problems as being worth the benefits of the upgrade.

Reactions: ifsteve
I had problems when I tried updating from my Galaxy Tab S direct to the P4. Big mistake. Went to my PC, finally found DJI Assist2, downloaded that, then connected P4 directly to PC to upgrade. Went smooth. However, yes...here it comes....I just flew and it went to about 100 feet up when it stopped and the app said "You have reached max altitude". My max alt set is just under 400 feet. I flew about 100 yards away and it stopped and said "You have reached max distance", which is set for...I think, 8000m. Neither altitude nor distance showed on the bottom of my screen. Both read zero.
I could not find a way to increase either. Kind of useless with those restrictions. If I switched to Litche, would that eliminate the altitude and distance problems? Or is there a way to change altitude and distance settings in DJI Go4?

I had been on Oct 2016 version for a while now with no issues until I had a little crash yesterday. Didn't hurt the bird much but all the sudden it didn't matter what I done it wouldn't recognize the aircraft firmware. I got on here and the dji forum and everything that was suggested wouldn't fix the problem.
So, I started researching and refreshing my memory on the right order to update, (depending on whether or not you use the tablet or DJI assistant 2) and finally decided to give it a try after exhausting all other options. I was afraid to fly if the app didn't know which firmware the aircraft was using. I was afraid it could lead to much bigger problems.
That being said, everything went Great!! One thing that was a little hard to get going after updating was getting a video feed. I followed instructions to a tee but had to reboot everything a few times, sign in and out of the Go4 app.. finally hit the right combination I guess and everything works like it should with no restrictions.
I absolutely love the new functions in Go4. As said above, tripod is Great for the type of flying I do.
IMO, Like others have already said, if you're satisfied as is and nothing is going wrong, nothing wrong with staying on your current version. I will say though that the new features is well worth it. Your choice. Just research if you decide to upgrade, follow instructions, and you'll be just fine.

I had been on Oct 2016 version for a while now with no issues until I had a little crash yesterday. Didn't hurt the bird much but all the sudden it didn't matter what I done it wouldn't recognize the aircraft firmware. I got on here and the dji forum and everything that was suggested wouldn't fix the problem.
So, I started researching and refreshing my memory on the right order to update, (depending on whether or not you use the tablet or DJI assistant 2) and finally decided to give it a try after exhausting all other options. I was afraid to fly if the app didn't know which firmware the aircraft was using. I was afraid it could lead to much bigger problems.
That being said, everything went Great!! One thing that was a little hard to get going after updating was getting a video feed. I followed instructions to a tee but had to reboot everything a few times, sign in and out of the Go4 app.. finally hit the right combination I guess and everything works like it should with no restrictions.
I absolutely love the new functions in Go4. As said above, tripod is Great for the type of flying I do.
IMO, Like others have already said, if you're satisfied as is and nothing is going wrong, nothing wrong with staying on your current version. I will say though that the new features is well worth it. Your choice. Just research if you decide to upgrade, follow instructions, and you'll be just fine.
It's just not that simple. I updated right before making a video of some historic buildings I had previously flown. My first test had the craft being jittery while hovering, and very sensitive to the controls. Took it out for the video and it wouldn't let me fly. This area is close to a small airport but like I said, I've flown there before and this was a low around buildings flight that was in no way a danger to manned flight. I didn't fly for nearly three weeks and was bummed. Finally, I downgraded to the previous firmware. Calibrated and went back...just to see. Guess what! I was able to make my video and now I'm done with that. I will stay with this version until I hear a better update has arrived.

Geo

The old saying; "Live and learn" is true with firmware upgrades. I have found so much good information on these forums, and a lot of misinformation. There is no shortcut to upgrading firmware. I found out the hard way that it should be done via DJI Assist 2; direct from the PC or Mac...not from controller. My P4 is working great now. Time will tell.
Another problem I had was using my Samsung S5 phone and my Tab S 10.5 tablet. After getting map info, I put them in Airplane mode, and stopped downloading video, changed my frequency from Auto to Manual and went to the highest available; and that eliminated the green screen and terrible video lag I had.
There are soooo many companies using Android and each tack on apps. I firmly believe the bloatware added to tablets and phones that are using the Android system is a huge problem. I am biting the bullet and getting an iPad Mini 4 - 128 gig . I really don't like Apple, but at least their system is clean with no bloatware.
Also a good short cable seems to work better too.
Would like to hear if the iPad Mini 4 is a steady platform from those using it.

iPad mini 4 is what I'm using. It's weird that this goes good for some and some not. I actually used both the assistant 2 and tablet. Assistant 2 on the AC and iPad on the RC to update.
Mixed results are always confusing.
Edit: I do however switch to a K1 Shield when I want to screen record Litchi or Go.

Last edited:
iPad mini 4 is what I'm using. It's weird that this goes good for some and some not. I actually used both the assistant 2 and tablet. Assistant 2 on the AC and iPad on the RC to update.
Mixed results are always confusing.

JohnnyB....there are so many factors involved...magnetic and electrical interference, conflict with metal objects around, conflict with bloatware, magnets in phone/tablet cases, cell phone in pocket while using tablet....no wonder so many have problems.
Glad to hear the Mini 4 is working for you. Found one on Craigslist for $250. Will have to check it out.

Reactions: JohnnyB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl