Update on my Crash

You were not by chance running the older firmware were you. Because there was a problem with Tripod mode just dropping into atty mode on it own and a fatal yaw error to boot.

Did you not read the whole thread? sar104 has pretty much explained what happened :)

Reactions: Neon Euc
I did , but I did not see the firmware version < i will read it again, Thank you.

I read it again , but somehow I missed the firmware version again.

Reactions: OOO
wow....i can only say i'm glad i got my state farm policy. for 60 bucks you can't beat " if you have a crash, contact us w/ pics, if it's gone,no prob...new replacement is ordered" i hope i never need it, but it beats the dji drama treatment...

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
To the OP, of course a crash is never a good thing. It is annoying, scary...
But, try to look at the bright side and take it as a lesson learned: Never fly between buildings.

My own experience with P3A: after hours of flights (30 or 35 hours), I was full of confidence and I said to myself: look at these 100 m tall buildings. In between, there is a small garden, it might be nice to fly there. I took off with barely 6 GPS. And of course, I lost all GPS signal and I crashed it.
Sent all to DJI and they repaired it. I had to pay of course because I didn't have insurance and it was clearly out of warranty. It costed me around 300 USD, but that's life...

If you have any doubt, take flight data, upload it to Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones and you will see what happened and if there were some GPS disconnections.

In any case, you should avoir flying between buildings...

Last edited:
You were not by chance running the older firmware were you. Because there was a problem with Tripod mode just dropping into atty mode on it own and a fatal yaw error to boot.

Was using the latest firmware

Incredible video. Great flying, and great editing. Well done.

Video looks like crap. Great shots but no experience with production, cinematic shots, it all looks too digitalized like a smart phone. You can clearly tell he was filming at 60 or 120 fps. Shoot at 24fps and this video would of looked like a movie.

Video looks like crap. Great shots but no experience with production, cinematic shots, it all looks too digitalized like a smart phone. You can clearly tell he was filming at 60 or 120 fps. Shoot at 24fps and this video would of looked like a movie.

Are you talking about this video shot here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video is fantastic, maybe your talking about a different video.

Are you talking about this video shot here

This video is fantastic, maybe your talking about a different video.

Yes it looks too digital like a home video. Sorry I run a video production company. I can tell when a video is shot at 60fps/120fps and 24 fps. 24fps will give you the best results both for color grading, bit rate recorded and quality.
The shots are good composition. I'm just criticizing that the quality could of been a lot better.

Thanks for the comment. I have no experience in editing and color grading/correction. In addition I’m a colorblind person. Thus, good or bad, I can’t say anything about cinematic quality of the video and you are probably right if you say so. This video was not about cinematic quality or postproduction work it was about flying in tight spots and I think it is a relatively good example of flying in ATTI mode. BTW please keep in mind, in such places ATTI mode is your best friend. The video was recorded and uploaded at 4K@60 FPS (P4P does not have 4K@120 fps option). Again thanks for the feedback and have a great day.

Last edited:
Can you post one of your videos , so I can see the difference in quality , maybe we all could learn something form that. Im interested now , can you tell me what I shot this video in on the phantom 4 pro?

Thanks for the comment. I have no experience in editing and color grading/correction. In addition I’m a colorblind person. Thus, good or bad, I can’t say anything about cinematic quality of the video and you are probably right if you say so. This video was not about cinematic quality or postproduction work it was about flying in tight spots and I think it is a relatively good example of flying in ATTI mode. BTW please keep in mind, in such places ATTI mode is your best friend. The video was shot and uploaded at 4K@60 FPS (P4P does not have 4K@120 fps option). Again thanks for the feedback and have a great day.
Can you post one of your videos , so I can see the difference in quality , maybe we all could learn something form that. Im interested now , can you tell me what I shot this video in on the phantom 4 pro?

I'm just criticizing the quality not destroying your craft in art. Everybody has their own style. Just like you guys criticized how I need to learn how to fly and need to learn my aircraft. been flying for over 2 and a half year now with the Phantom 3 Pro. I bought the Phantom 4 Pro to take advantage of the Tripod Mode and the Obstacle performance, as well as the stronger motors. So far, my P3P has way more control and reliability as I never had a situation like I experienced with my P4P. Then again people are telling me not to fly in between buildings and to learn my aircraft limitation when posting a video of you flying through a cave or mountain like environment with a much tighter space proved no point at all other than my aircraft had a malfunction and yours didn't lol. Had nothing to do with my flying. The GPS dropped and sent the aircraft into immediate death spiral. Had your aircraft lost GPS while you were flying through those caves / streams. It would have spun out, hit the rocks and crashed into the water with same results lol.

Reactions: Newbieguy
I'm just criticizing the quality not destroying your craft in art. Everybody has their own style. Just like you guys criticized how I need to learn how to fly and need to learn my aircraft. been flying for over 2 and a half year now with the Phantom 3 Pro. I bought the Phantom 4 Pro to take advantage of the Tripod Mode and the Obstacle performance, as well as the stronger motors. So far, my P3P has way more control and reliability as I never had a situation like I experienced with my P4P. Then again people are telling me not to fly in between buildings and to learn my aircraft limitation when posting a video of you flying through a cave or mountain like environment with a much tighter space proved no point at all other than my aircraft had a malfunction and yours didn't lol. Had nothing to do with my flying. The GPS dropped and sent the aircraft into immediate death spiral. Had your aircraft lost GPS while you were flying through those caves / streams. It would have spun out, hit the rocks and crashed into the water with same results lol.

I hear your pain , and there are hundreds that agree with you , that this had nothing , I mean nothing to do with your flying ability. Just because a few **** probes come at you does not mean they are right.

Every day I fly though building, trees, forest, bridges, and so you are 100% correct , there is not a valid reason that you should have not been able to fly through those building except one.

The reflection of the windows may have caused the crash but this is a big maybe.
I also see the commercial and they show the Phantom flying through tighter and harder spaces.
I also would never attempt to fly in atti mode and would also rely on tripod mode to be through the buildings.

The fact is if the DJI phantom 4 cannot fly through buildings than they should state it and the fact is they do not.

As the owner of Phantomrain.org we push the limits of the drone every time we get a chance and that includes flying it around magnetic interference .

By the way there were 3 updates in a row from DJI that caused magnetic interference every time we flew near a telephone pole, and now that they fixed the firmware , guess what we do not get any more magnetic interference from telephone poles or those receptor on the pole.

We can hover right next to it, so keep your head, up, do not let the **** probes get to you.

Part of enjoying the drone is taking chances and getting some great flights, why do you think so many people try to fly as far as they can , its for the joy.

Flying between those building would have been a fantastic shot, its shots like that and others that gave the phantom its name sake.

If i lived close to those building , I would try to repeat the flight myself , because two crashes would make a statement .

By the way where were those buildings ?

I think if you know the limitations of your aircraft, GPS, OA and VPS, the place you are flying may not be a major problem. I shot this video with my P4P.

Holy **** man! What a sweet vid! Superb flying and edit too! Where in the heck is this? Did you shoot all this at 30 or 60fps? And also, did you reverse some of this footage? You rock dude!

Thanks for the comment. I have no experience in editing and color grading/correction. In addition I’m a colorblind person. Thus, good or bad, I can’t say anything about cinematic quality of the video and you are probably right if you say so. This video was not about cinematic quality or postproduction work it was about flying in tight spots and I think it is a relatively good example of flying in ATTI mode. BTW please keep in mind, in such places ATTI mode is your best friend. The video was shot and uploaded at 4K@60 FPS (P4P does not have 4K@120 fps option). Again thanks for the feedback and have a great day.
I think it looks super OOO! I have a film maker buddy that tells me everything should be shot at 24fps too. But I thought 24 was too choppy on the P4P for me. I love how your 60fps looks here man! Especially since so many folks have said that it does not work very well as far as editing 60 goes! Let alone your freaking flying skills here. So you flew this 100% in atti mode? Man it must have been very calm for as smooth as you buttered it. Nice work!

jeez, you really do post some garbage don't you??

You were told why, when and exactly how you lost control yet you still refuse to accept responsibility. May i suggest that you read this next bit slowly (as stuff obviously doesn't sink in when you read at normal speeds)?

1, The crash was your fault not DJI's
2, You lost control flying in a location where more ability than you have was required - this isn't DJI's fault, it's yours
3, The crash was down to your inability to do a proper risk assessment and rely on hard/software that does not work without a clear view of the sky - this is not DJI's fault, this is how GPS systems work
4, If you'd bothered to read the manual you would have been aware of this - it's not DJI's fault you didn't read the manual
5, nobody else is to blame - you lost control of your drone as the flight records show - this is not DJI's fault

As for the video you said looked like crap and how he would have lost control had he lost GPS it seems your reading problems have cropped up again - he was flying in atti :D

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply! In ATTI mode you don’t have GPS signal. Thus, during this flight I had no GPS signal (zero satellite). I usually fly in canyons and tight spots to improve my piloting skills. In such places I usually do not have any GPS signal thus I have to fly without GPS. In addition with active OA and VPS it is almost impossible to fly in tight spots. Thus, I turned off OA and VPS even before the flight. BTW, I crashed my Mavic Pro while flying in one of these canyons.

Crash video:

In summary:
1) Recorded and uploaded at 4K@60 fps
2) No color grading except some color correction work in FCPX
3) In ATTI mode: No GPS signal, zero satellite
4) No obstacle avoidance (OA)
5) No Vision Positioning System (VPS)
6) Aircraft was always in VLOS

Last edited:
jeez, you really do post some garbage don't you??

You were told why, when and exactly how you lost control yet you still refuse to accept responsibility. May i suggest that you read this next bit slowly (as stuff obviously doesn't sink in when you read at normal speeds)?

1, The crash was your fault not DJI's
2, You lost control flying in a location where more ability than you have was required - this isn't DJI's fault, it's yours
3, The crash was down to your inability to do a proper risk assessment and rely on hard/software that does not work without a clear view of the sky - this is not DJI's fault, this is how GPS systems work
4, If you'd bothered to read the manual you would have been aware of this - it's not DJI's fault you didn't read the manual
5, nobody else is to blame - you lost control of your drone as the flight records show - this is not DJI's fault

Its obvious that you fly your drone like a Kite, everything has to be perfect, and that is great, but I fly in my house and its covered in concrete slabs and 4 stories down and all i need for a 26 minute flight is just 1 satellite. So if this really true than I should not be able to fly in such horrific conditions and yet I can.

I also fly my drone down the river while I am inside the house and again, that should not be possible.

Some things do not add up. That is the problem I have, If only the Phantom were to crash in my house, in my building than I would understand it, but for some reason my Phantom 4 Pro has superpowers and that bothers me.

I do hear what your saying about perfect flying conditions , but I want to fly my drone , not dream about flying it.

Thanks for the reply! In ATTI mode you don’t have GPS signal. Thus, during this flight I had no GPS signal (zero satellite). I usually fly in canyons and tight spots to improve my piloting skills. In such places I usually do not have any GPS signal thus I have to fly without GPS. In addition with active OA and VPS it is almost impossible to fly in tight spots. Thus, I turned off OA and VPS even before the flight. BTW, I crushed my Mavic Pro while flying in one of these canyons.

Crush video:

In summary:
1) Recorded and uploaded at 4K@60 fps
2) No color grading except some color correction work in FCPX
3) In ATTI mode: No GPS signal, zero satellite
4) No obstacle avoidance (OA)
5) No Vision Positioning System (VPS)
6) Aircraft was always in VLOS

So I do not understand why you would not use the GPS , and than if it went into atti mode you deal with it . ???

I think it looks super OOO! I have a film maker buddy that tells me everything should be shot at 24fps too. But I thought 24 was too choppy on the P4P for me. I love how your 60fps looks here man! Especially since so many folks have said that it does not work very well as far as editing 60 goes! Let alone your freaking flying skills here. So you flew this 100% in atti mode? Man it must have been very calm for as smooth as you buttered it. Nice work!

Thanks for the nice comments. In the first and last scene I had 5-6 satellite but for the rest of the flight I had zero satellite. Recorded and uploaded at 4K@60fps. Yes, some shots were reversed.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.