Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

Make sure you let Brendan know:
[Moderator edit: email address removed]

Just had a look! I've only had my P3P since Xmas and have only flown it a few times in the UK. I live in a small market town in the cotswolds, Oxfordshire and there's a authorized zone bigger than London over me!! How can this be? There will be nowhere to fly it soon! When does this become live and how can we avoid it?

If this is the case it could be the worlds shortest and most expensive hobby!

:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is KLAS McCarran. Easily solved by a hard 400 foot limit. If DJI truly wanted to chance the picture as far as conflicts with aircraft while upsetting their loyal customer base to far lesser degree, they would impose a 120 hard max altitude. No more 500. Mind you there are those who come in here and *****. But believe me it is a lot less than the bitching and leaving the hobby entirely that will happen if the beta limits go on as is. There is absolutely no reason civil aviation should be cruising around under 150 agl. And no reason we should be higher than 120. While I admit to having done far higher to go up the side of a mountain but still being only 20 meters above the rocks and trees. If DJI made a hard 120 limit I'd say oh well, hike up the mountain on foot and take off higher up. I wouldn't even say one word in complaint here. But to create this bs here while still leaving folks to **** around at 500 meters over flat ground and maybe a metropolitan center solves what safety concern? Hard 120 and smaller yellows would leave far more people happier and safer to boot. Want to keep the yellows as large as they are, then do an inverse cone where the bird would automatically be blocked at higher altitudes the nearer to the epicenter of the yellows. Now as far as the French and Croatian coast, this is a nightmare. I'd get a vortex 250 racing drone and be done with it if I lived there. Anyway, here is Las Vegas. See how a hard 120 with the old phantom 2 no fly zone would take care of most issues there. Issues that aren't completely solved with a three day clearance to 500 meters.
00662r19r.jpg

And for those of you new to approach plates, by looking at the distances and altitudes on aooroach, mixed with phantom altitudes, battery life and all these factors, you start getting a clearer picture of the level of ******** involved in some phantom reports from passenger jet aircraft on approach. Forbes magazine proved this in an article. But when one looks at these plates, realizes the lack of deviation due to the nature of ILS, you start to really scratch your heads as far as sightings of phantoms on approach. While there is some truth out there, a lot is speculative creative ********. And I stress phantoms cause Yunnec doesn't pack the speed and range that a phantom barely packs to do the job of creating this conflict. Sure, few manage maybe, but still, no easy feat. Now an eight rotor copter with custom flight systems is different. But those are flown by folks a hell of a lot more serious than the I crashed and broke my gimbal phantom idiot club. Anyway, limit them to 120, kill most of the problems. Sure there are still helicopters. But that will always be unpredictable in nature as just the other day one flew way too close to our local model flying field. But it was a Huey so we had plenty of warning

And for those of you new to approach plates, by looking at the distances and altitudes on aooroach, mixed with phantom altitudes, battery life and all these factors, you start getting a clearer picture of the level of ******** involved in some phantom reports from passenger jet aircraft on approach. Forbes magazine proved this in an article. But when one looks at these plates, realizes the lack of deviation due to the nature of ILS, you start to really scratch your heads as far as sightings of phantoms on approach. While there is some truth out there, a lot is speculative creative ********. And I stress phantoms cause Yunnec doesn't pack the speed and range that a phantom barely packs to do the job of creating this conflict. Sure, few manage maybe, but still, no easy feat. Now an eight rotor copter with custom flight systems is different. But those are flown by folks a hell of a lot more serious than the I crashed and broke my gimbal phantom idiot club. Anyway, limit them to 120, kill most of the problems. Sure there are still helicopters. But that will always be unpredictable in nature as just the other day one flew way too close to our local model flying field. But it was a Huey so we had plenty of warning

agreed on the bs about near misses(as reported without substantiation).

also thought that if they truly are seeing "drones" at thousands of feet etc.

maybe, just maybe, some of them are operated by some of the 3 letter government agencies vs consumers like us!

Even before I had the tablet I had a smartphone that I used to get the maps when I was in the field. It just doesn't follow that a person who has a $1300.00 quad that requires a smart device to fly would not have a phone with a data plan that would enable them to request authorization to fly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

How about someone on holiday from another country like the UK?

Make sure you let Brendan know:
[Moderator edit: email address removed]
:
Doing good Davphys.;) Still not a flood, but probably starting to make them think. I wonder why some here still haven't emailed him, it's no harder than posting here.

can anyone else see where I might run into problems when travelling around and trying to get a 24 hour authorisation 3 days in advance?
When out on camping trips a week without mobile phone or data is not unusual

Attachments

• optus coverage.PNG
    optus coverage.PNG
    179.3 KB · Views: 461
Let's not harass Brendan please. He's a good guy. He wants it to work on behalf of the flyer. He is not the one deciding how GEO works. He's been involved from the policy perspective but he is only the messenger.

Every time I have flown I have had coverage even when I was in the middle of the dessert. So that's no concern. DJI's servers haven't been down once when I was flying so that also doesn't seem huge. I have noticed that the zones are not well conceived.. But even then I the worst case scenario. It would add one click to my preflight process.

Meh.. Not concerned.

Why were you in the middle of some ice cream? Or maybe it was a trifle?
No wonder you had good coverage - I bet the whipped cream was all over....................

Let's not harass Brendan please. He's a good guy. He wants it to work on behalf of the flyer. He is not the one deciding how GEO works. He's been involved from the policy perspective but he is only the messenger.
I agree wholeheartedly, but....
Polite feedback expressing concern about something that he is apparent connected with directly is the best way to be heard.
I repeat, POLITELY!

Reactions: ianwood
There is a JSON file that is downloaded containing the NFZ data. If one can update that directly, it should be easy. Alternatively, have a hot spot which maps the DNS to an alternative web services interface. There is a token exchange but maybe that can be figured out.

I wouldn't worry too much about DJI seeing this. They will know quickly that people are going to try to undo it.

That JSON is dumped into a standard Android Sqlite database. Almost too easy.

Lots of avenues for attack:

- On server download, redirect to own/other server, return a bogus file with all zones unlocked.

- Directly edit SQlite app db. Could set this up for offline replay real easy too.

- Sniff USB commands/protocol sending "unlock" command to bird, spoof, and send your own

- Direct modification of NFZs in P3 firmware. Given the structured nature of the NFZ data, shouldn't be hard to find. Possibly loaded from the app post firmware update tbh.

Pretty sure they don't even use ssl by default, and even then, there appears to be no hard coded certificates, or actually, any sort of signing/integrity from their app - > dji server at all. At least they hash the account passwords.... But that's about it.

Basically whole thing is ripe to be messed with.

I don't know but hasn't the "No Fly Zone" always been a 5 mile radius of major to medium size airports? I've never flown that close to an airport so what's the big deal now and what really has changed?

His email address was NOT posted to harass him. He is DIRECTLY in charge of implementing GEO and has said so. I also think he is a good guy, but it is important to mobilize and express concerns to him. Thus far, he has responded well to emails and it is ******** that a moderator is editing out his email address here.

Reactions: stuartbp
His email address was NOT posted to harass him. He is DIRECTLY in charge of implementing GEO and has said so. I also think he is a good guy, but it is important to mobilize and express concerns to him. Thus far, he has responded well to emails and it is ******** that a moderator is editing out his email address here.
Look................... he's "already" gotten the message. Give him some time to get this worked out. No need to keep bombarding him with hundreds and thousands of e-mails saying the same thing. Enough already.

Reactions: sticky photography

Brendan is a member of this forum. Posting a member's personal information online without their permission is a personal attack and not allowed. If he wants to provide his email address publicly, he can do so.

And please note, foul language is not allowed. As is open criticism of moderation. I suggest you visit the community guidelines page and read it. End of discussion. If you have anything more to say about it, take it up with me privately.

How about someone on holiday from another country like the UK?
Yeah it is an inconvenience. I would find a way around it. I think the whole thing stinks. I think the implementation is awful. I also think DJI will get us some workable options. I guess I'm just an optimist. I also think that people that jump off bridges for other options will regret it.

g
Doing good Davphys.;) Still not a flood, but probably starting to make them think. I wonder why some here still haven't emailed him, it's no harder than posting here.

Well I did email last night and got a prompt reply! He did say that the 'Beta' mode is just in the testing phase but didn't comment whether if you upgrade you have to log in to the 'authorised zones' in order to fly? My major concern is that here in the UK the proposed authorised zones cover nearly half the country's airspace!! He did say that most of these zones will be reduced in the final draft of the Geo System, but seeing is believing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but within these 'authorised zones' will it stop your P3P actually taking off if you haven't logged in to the Geo System? Also if you do log in and get your 3 day 'flight plan' clearance can they track your activities via the app, or is it more along the lines of it someone reports illegal/suspicious drone/quad activity in your area they then assume its you, and if so whats the punishment?

Who are or will be the quad/drone police? If its the national police force (in the UK) they don't even come out for your burglar alarm going off let alone random drone pilots flying over someones back garden, as they are short staffed and over stretched according to our national news!!

Finally a thought! If these regulations are in order to stop either near misses with aircraft or over flight of sensitive areas, surely if someone was really up to no good and wanted to do it they would just launch the drone without using GPS or the app and fly it manually? Provided thats possible, which I think it is?

Anyway the more information we can find about this the better I think. Keep it coming :)

Here is KLAS McCarran. Easily solved by a hard 400 foot limit. If DJI truly wanted to chance the picture as far as conflicts with aircraft while upsetting their loyal customer base to far lesser degree, they would impose a 120 hard max altitude. No more 500. Mind you there are those who come in here and *****. But believe me it is a lot less than the bitching and leaving the hobby entirely that will happen if the beta limits go on as is. There is absolutely no reason civil aviation should be cruising around under 150 agl. And no reason we should be higher than 120. While I admit to having done far higher to go up the side of a mountain but still being only 20 meters above the rocks and trees. If DJI made a hard 120 limit I'd say oh well, hike up the mountain on foot and take off higher up. I wouldn't even say one word in complaint here. But to create this bs here while still leaving folks to **** around at 500 meters over flat ground and maybe a metropolitan center solves what safety concern? Hard 120 and smaller yellows would leave far more people happier and safer to boot. Want to keep the yellows as large as they are, then do an inverse cone where the bird would automatically be blocked at higher altitudes the nearer to the epicenter of the yellows. Now as far as the French and Croatian coast, this is a nightmare. I'd get a vortex 250 racing drone and be done with it if I lived there. Anyway, here is Las Vegas. See how a hard 120 with the old phantom 2 no fly zone would take care of most issues there. Issues that aren't completely solved with a three day clearance to 500 meters.
View attachment 40165
Yes you are right, IMHO if DJI can produce system which allows me to take 2sec exposure night photo it knows the 3D coordinates.
Let's think about this solution: (figures used are example)
yellow zones are warning zones with reverse cone shape
you can load the map of the area you are interested to tablet/phone
Once you are in the yellow zone according to GPS coordinates you get a message that your max altitude is limited to:X
no need for any silly preauthorization
flying in the direction out of zone will increase the max alt and vice versa
in the middle of yellow zone is mostly airport
IF you are 1km from airfield you cannot take off
IF you are 2km from airfield you can take off with 50m ceiling
IF you are 5km from airfield you can take off with 100m ceiling
You simply get a warning before take off the max alt is limited according to the actual position in yellow zone
I am sure this can be programmed in the app and DJI should decide whether to improve the app and have satisfied clients or annoy the owner who cannot start from his own yard 5km from the airport to 50m alt.
No need to wait 24h and pray for good weather in next 3days not mentioning all the other troubles listed so far in this whole conversation

Reactions: bighi

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164