Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

Reaction score
So I came across this.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Looks like it's going to get very shittttty for us. The zones are terrible. In some cases entires cities will need to be authorized each time you want to fly. An authorization is only valued for 3 days....
I'm so pissed after reading that page and all the trouble we will have to go through the to be able to fly.

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
If you are still below firmware 1.5 on the drone you are not on the "New System".

Who knows whether they will force updates in the future or not.

Wow that is simply ridiculous. I'm in Israel and it appears I'm smack middle between two yellow zones around me for miles. One of those is an airport. So I don't get it. The area I'm at is about 7 miles from the airport so that's not a no fly zone by old definitions. However it is a yellow zone now. It seems there is a very large yellow zone, roughly 15 miles around the airport.
Also, who will be authorizing my request? Now basically I can bypass the airports no fly zone? This is just so unclear.

So how is it going to work for Amazon and eBay drone deliveries coming our way soon?

Needless to say the local postman....

There may not be a future for the recreational flyer. :(

Man. Between our three airports my entire city is off limits.

Wow that is simply ridiculous. I'm in Israel and it appears I'm smack middle between two yellow zones around me for miles. One of those is an airport. So I don't get it. The area I'm at is about 7 miles from the airport so that's not a no fly zone by old definitions. However it is a yellow zone now. It seems there is a very large yellow zone, roughly 15 miles around the airport.
Also, who will be authorizing my request? Now basically I can bypass the airports no fly zone? This is just so unclear.

The system is currently in "beta." The details may or may not change.

Based on the current setup, you will be authorizing yourself. In a green zone, you will get a "fly safe" notice. In a yellow zone, you will have to go online and "authorize." This seems to be a process which is verified by having a credit card on file. You pick your yellow zone(s) and can "unlock" them for a 3-day period which starts up to 24 hours from the time you unlock.

Yes, you can "bypass" any yellow zone, including airports and military bases, That doesn't mean you are allowed to fly there - just that the software will not stop you. Of course, having your "unlock" request on file theoretically makes it easier to find you if you break the rules.You might also expect a knock on your door if someone else broke rules in that zone when your unlock was active.

The system itself seems pretty clear. What is puzzling is the placement and size of many authorization zones. Not to mention the lack of zone "red" zones where there should be some.I think the real fun will start when the trained chimps who created the map start to make adjustments and corrections. It is going to create confusion and bad will as people get locked out of more and more areas.

It is a "cute" idea with a horrible implementation. Wait until the first time the servers go down. Or when hundreds of thousands of people realize that a China based company has all their credit card data on file.

Is this over seas because I can fly almost anywhere with my P3A.

I know the unlock system is in USA, Europe and Australia.It is probably worldwide, but those are the only areas I know of for sure.

It does NOT affect any P3 YET because it is in beta. Those using it have joined the beta program. Once released, it will be included in a firmware update. At that point, it will affect anyone who upgrades. Many people have stated that if you are on 1.6 (or even 1.5) you will have no choice but to be "upgraded" to the new system. I do not know if that is true.

Either way, the system is NOT part of the current software release. It is in beta and "coming soon."

Well it it because of all the idiots out there that are flying near airports etc. We are fooling ourselves to think the good ole days would never end. I am ok with this, it allows us to still fly. If they didn't do something and someone causes a plane to crash, it will be over.. Period! I know it is painful.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well it it because of all the idiots out there that are flying near airports etc. We are fooling ourselves to think the good ole days would never end. I am ok with this, it allows us to still fly. If they didn't do something and someone causes a plane to crash, it will be over.. Period! I know it is painful.

Absolutely. Being objective about it, it's kind of ridiculous that anybody can buy a drone off the shelf and fly it to maximum range absolutely anywhere, out of the box without any sense of responsibility or common sense. Such people are out there in vast quantities - we read about them every day. Very tight restrictions are inevitable.

I'm sure eventually the firmware upgrade will be forced. And there will be no way to avoid it. Some zones don't make any sense and their radius is well over 20km.. But to me , waiting for 24 hrs and then only getting the unlock for 3 days seems to be a big problem. You can always plan a day ahead where you will be flying.

All of this nonsense with having to deal with the DJI no fly zones can be left behind. I switched to the Litchi Software and not only is it much more user friendly, but does not have any NFZ restrictions. Yes I know it is $20, well worth the price for the convenience and ease of operation it provides. Support from the Author of the software is excellent as well.
Just my personal opinion!

Reactions: dysan911
All of this nonsense with having to deal with the DJI no fly zones can be left behind. I switched to the Litchi Software and not only is it much more user friendly, but does not have any NFZ restrictions. Yes I know it is $20, well worth the price for the convenience and ease of operation it provides. Support from the Author of the software is excellent as well.
Just my personal opinion!

Actually, once GEO is out of beta and you update your firmware on the P3 that includes it, even Litchi will be affected since it is part of the firmware. Right now, only people who signed up to do beta for GEO are affected.

So, yes, Litchi is an awesome flight application and I use it primarily too but it WILL be affected once GEO is rolled out and you're on the firmware that includes it.

Also, even in the current non-GEO firmware, Litchi is affected by the existing defined NFZs around airports (though the radius is typically smaller than what GEO shows on their mapping) and others.... just not temporary NFZs since those are transient and pilot responsibility. It's the P3 that knows where it is and is prevented from powering up or flying into an NFZ in current firmware anyway regardless of whether you're using Litchi or DJI GO or other flight apps.

yeh...not looking forward to this at all when it does go live for everyone...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20