Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

You folks have to look at the yellow zone situation for Croatia. Wow!
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Mind boggling. As of now at one of the places I live, I would require unlock to take off from a model airfield. Ridiculous. Anyway, I just finished downloading the current DJI go app and saved it in case my tablet updates to some new undesired version. Good to have. Same for all previous firmwares. I might just start dusting off my p2v+.

No one is "forcing DJI" to do this. And just because you have a cellular capable tablet and are willing to pay monthly for a plan doesn't mean others want to do the same thing.

At this point, DJI is the only one putting these garbage maps and restrictions in their software.

No one is forcing them. But they can be blocked from entering the country if they don't comply.
Pretty strong argument. DJI has no choice. The phantoms are autonomous drones. The new breed.
The others will be forced into it. Just give it time.

Reactions: sticky photography
"Comply" with what in particular? Warning zones that take up most the world? "Authorization" zones that make no sense-worldwide?
And none of these zones created by, sanctioned by, or overseen by the United States FAA (including all the DJI "zones" in the United States)?

I would definitely write the head of the DJI GEO effort, Brendan, at:
[email protected]

Tell him what ******** this is.
Just did. Besides, most of what the yellow covering this model airfield consists of are a few farms and mostly cattle. Hell, our total population at the densest part is about 4 thousand people. Sure there is an airport a few miles away but we're talking about a 1 Cessna 172 or another every few hours. Maybe a glider getting towed up. This piss ant airport wasn't even a no fly zone for the phantom 2.

Anyway, some guys in Poland are up at arms about the yellows. The guys in Germany, if they don't have enough to be pissed about already with other ********, are pissed about their yellows. But Croatia, wow. Where my second home is in, Lignano Sabbiadoro, Italy I'm clear. Thank god. Besides, I mostly fly over ocean there. But if I were Croatian I would be fuming.

Last edited:
Excellent. I hope more and more people will write him about the compete botched implementation DJI is seeking. I understand that their intent may be good. That doesn't obfuscate the fact that their maps are a mess, and the current implementation in removing all spontaneity frankly ruins this hobby significantly.

Just did.

I look at the DJI map for my house and I am inside the circle of authorization. I am 7km from a small airport. I want to learn to fly in my back yard.
But I will need authorization. Who is going to give it to me. JDI? not likely. DOT (FAA in US) rules state I must be 9km from airport.
But DJI will authorize me. All DJI is doing is telling me you can't fly but if you want to you can. But it is at your own risk and if the DOT asked we will tell them you flew in a restricted area and you knew it.
Flight rules do not change. That is the whole idea of rules. Every one is on the same page.
Some people have told me they will not have manpower to petrol that. They don't have to. They just hang a few as an example. The rest get the idea.
Go by your DOT or FAA or what ever. DJI does not make these rules. In the US get your FAA app. That is the absolute authority.
I don't like this any better that the rest you. Opinions may vary. But I think I am looking at this realistically. It is a hard pill to swallow.

Sorry- DJI's error-ridden maps are not accurate. There are many "yellow zones" which should not be there according to United States FAA rules. And this doesn't take into account all the worldwide locations which are error plagued In the maps not under jurisdiction of the FAA. The algorithm used to generate the third party map zones which DJI uses is total ********.

I look at the DJI map for my house and I am inside the circle of authorization. I am 7km from a small airport. I want to learn to fly in my back yard.
But I will need authorization. Who is going to give it to me. JDI? not likely. DOT (FAA in US) rules state I must be 9km from airport.
But DJI will authorize me. All DJI is doing is telling me you can't fly but if you want to you can. But it is at your own risk and if the DOT asked we will tell them you flew in a restricted area and you knew it.
Flight rules do not change. That is the whole idea of rules. Every one is on the same page.
Some people have told me they will not have manpower to petrol that. They don't have to. They just hang a few as an example. The rest get the idea.
Go by your DOT or FAA or what ever. DJI does not make these rules. In the US get your FAA app. That is the absolute authority.
I don't like this any better that the rest you. Opinions may vary. But I think I am looking at this realistically. It is a hard pill to swallow.

You know, I would be happier with an absolute 400 agl limit and the phantom 2 no fly zones. Mix those two and a lot of problems would be solved. Want to go higher, take off from a mountain. While that would present a little annoyance in my situation where I fly pretty high but still below the tops of a mountain from the valley below, I would take an absolute 120 meter limit in stride. But these yellows are a different ball game entirely.

Anyone concerned should write [email protected] as he is the one who seems to be making and implementing the whole DJI GEO system.

You should write him and make him aware of these issues. The more people He hears from with these valid concerns, the better.

Here is Croatia folks. No, I won't be taking my phantom there the next time I drive over. If a Croatian is in the market a phantom, this photo should be disclosed prior to purchase.
20160111_030723.jpg

How long before its implemented and enforced? Any ideas on ways around it? Like not updating firmware?

I think that the more people express their outrage at DJI's attempt to implement this, the greater the chance that they Will make some significant modifications.

No one knows. It could be tomorrow, it could be a month. Seriously, have you written and expressed your concern to the person who seems to be heading this DJI project?

How long before its implemented and enforced? Any ideas on ways around it? Like not updating firmware?

Not yet. I will. I believe it's a market changer. Most people burdened with a remotely grounded drone would not want one at all.

No one knows. It could be tomorrow, it could be a month. Seriously, have you written and expressed your concern to the person who seems to be heading this DJI project?

Yep. Amazing that DJI didn't seem to look at these maps and think about consequences before they entered into an arrangement with the company that makes them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West