Uncharted Airport Curiosity

Reaction score
I would like to "Fly for Fun" in an area that is within 5miles of this airport:

https://www.airnav.com/airport/MN40

I am wondering if i need to notifiy the airport. I dont have a problem doing so but am curious if it is actually required. The DJI app says to fly with caution, unpaved airport within 5 miles, airmap indicates an airport advisory, however the airport is not on the sectional. The airnav listing has a remark that says "DO NOT CHART PER MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION"

I am planning to call the number listed before I fly. But just out of curosity, isnt the sectional the authoratitive source? And if the airport is not on the most current sectional does it "count" for the 5 mile "fly for fun" notification rule?

-N

As a hobbyist if flying within 5 miles of an airport you must make attempt to notify the facility.

My question to you is, "Why would you not make the effort?" It's only a phone call and might open up opportunities for you in the future and it might keep you from being "That Guy" that gives our industry a bad name/reputation.

Also remember sectionals are dated so make sure you're either using an online CURRENT one or your printed copy is current.

Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

Thanks for the response!

As I said I am planning to call whenever I get around to actually flying there; its really just academic curiosity more than anything else.

I pulled the latest Twin Cities sectional (Jun 22 2017) from here: VFR Raster Charts and there is nothing on the chart at that location

That grass strip has been there for years, however there is another grass strip several miles away that IS on the sectional. (Areo-Plain MN98)

So should I take from this is that not all active airports are on the current sectional charts?

Reactions: BigAl07
So should I take from this is that not all active airports are on the current sectional charts?

That's the safe assumption and exactly how I would take it too. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT