flying near airport question

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4 pro that I just started playing with, I understand that this thing will not take off near an airport. My question is, my brother lives near Dulles Airport.... I was going to show him how this drone works when I go up to visit. Is there a setting that I can make so this drone will not fly more then ten feet off the ground that will allow me to fly this thing within the 5 mile radius. Or is a restriction just what it says, no flying period within 5 miles no matter what the settings are

Why do you think that you cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport? Have you read Section 336 or the FAA's regulations on this matter? Have you read DJI's Geomap information?

DJI's software will not allow you to fly within a mile or so of a major airport. It will give you a warning from that distance out to 5 miles. FAA states if you fly within 5 miles of an airport that you must call the tower "and" owner of the airport to let them know you will fly.

I'm guessing your Phantom is registered with the FAA? If so, you agreed to these terms at that time.

Is there a setting that I can make so this drone will not fly more then ten feet off the ground that will allow me to fly this thing within the 5 mile radius.

If you want to take off in your brothers backyard and fly no higher than 10 feet, just do it. I did that in my MIL's backyard, and she lives within the 5-mile radius of a large controlled airport.

If for some reason your motors won't arm, c'est la vie

The OP will need to consult the map at: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

This will show if the location is in:

Warning Zones - Can fly
Enhanced Warning Zones - Can fly when unlocked, does not require a verified account
Authorization Zone- Can fly when unlocked, does require a verified account
Restricted Zones - Cannot fly. Mostly (but not limited to) from an airport official datum location 1-2 miles for Class C & D airports and about 2-6 miles from a Class B airport, going by a few I looked up.

I have a Phantom 4 pro that I just started playing with, I understand that this thing will not take off near an airport. My question is, my brother lives near Dulles Airport.... I was going to show him how this drone works when I go up to visit. Is there a setting that I can make so this drone will not fly more then ten feet off the ground that will allow me to fly this thing within the 5 mile radius. Or is a restriction just what it says, no flying period within 5 miles no matter what the settings are

This right here should help answer most of your questions:
Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

For the record, if you're within 5 miles of an airport (as a hobby operator) you are required to notify the tower of your intentions. It doesn't matter if you're flying 10' off the ground or 200' the rules are in place to be followed.

Reactions: Falcon900

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20