When is an airport not an airport?

Reaction score
There's a location I'm checking out and AirMap indicates there's a private airport within 5 miles. So I look a little closer and AirNav.com lists the airport in question as "CLOSED INDEFINITELY" -- What does that mean?

On the one hand the airport is still listed and is defined with a 5 miles radius, but the statement about it being closed indefinitely begs the question of whether or not it needs to be treated as an airport at all. The airport is listed as having a single aircraft and dirt strip 4000 feet long.

AirNav: 15AZ - Quail Mesa Ranch Airport

Now I could call the number given if I actually go there but I have to question the need given the status.

Brian

If your not commercial & under part 107 don't worry about it. Just use common sense & fly lower & keep a look out for Aircraft !!!!

There's a location I'm checking out and AirMap indicates there's a private airport within 5 miles. So I look a little closer and AirNav.com lists the airport in question as "CLOSED INDEFINITELY" -- What does that mean?

On the one hand the airport is still listed and is defined with a 5 miles radius, but the statement about it being closed indefinitely begs the question of whether or not it needs to be treated as an airport at all. The airport is listed as having a single aircraft and dirt strip 4000 feet long.

AirNav: 15AZ - Quail Mesa Ranch Airport

Now I could call the number given if I actually go there but I have to question the need given the status.

Brian
I would just call them and ask what the status is.

I would just call them and ask what the status is.
Airports never seem to be removed from the directory. I have a couple of grass stops listed in my area that are now corn fields, one is part of a housing development. And they still show up in apps. You might check a sectional, but "Closed Indefinitely" means just that. There is no activity on it, no planes are taking off from it and no one is landing there unless it's an emergency. So just ignore it, manned pilots do.

If your not commercial & under part 107 don't worry about it. Just use common sense & fly lower & keep a look out for Aircraft !!!!

It does not matter if you are a part 107 pilot or not, airspace rules still apply. This is horribly irresponsible advice. If it is closed then it is class G airspace and requires no prior authorization.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: hidefdiver

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20