Ultimate Flight (Android)-waypoint + save/load RELEASED!

Re: New app for Vision and Vision+ - Ultimate Flight for And

kenargo said:
phalcon51 said:
kenargo,
When flying a Ground Station mission through Ult. Flight can you put the craft in Course Lock mode enabling you to use the yaw function for camera panning on the fly?
Gary

I think you are referring to the ability to tell the Phantom the direction to point the camera while flying between waypoints? If so, that has been removed because the DJI SDK, when the value was set resulted in the Phantom flying forward, even though the waypoint was the other direction. In short, the setting controlled the direction of flight, the Phantom flew that direction and would stop flying the GS mission when it realized it wasn't heading towards the waypoint. I've raised a bug with DJI but until the issue is resolved the setting was removed. Hopefully they will fix it and the setting will be reactivated in a future release.

If this was not what you where referring to please let me know.

Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to Ken. Thanks for the reply. Btw, what is the correct term for this feature? I thought it was Course Lock but I can't find anything about it in the DJI User's Manual.

phalcon51 said:
kenargo said:
phalcon51 said:
kenargo,
When flying a Ground Station mission through Ult. Flight can you put the craft in Course Lock mode enabling you to use the yaw function for camera panning on the fly?
Gary

I think you are referring to the ability to tell the Phantom the direction to point the camera while flying between waypoints? If so, that has been removed because the DJI SDK, when the value was set resulted in the Phantom flying forward, even though the waypoint was the other direction. In short, the setting controlled the direction of flight, the Phantom flew that direction and would stop flying the GS mission when it realized it wasn't heading towards the waypoint. I've raised a bug with DJI but until the issue is resolved the setting was removed. Hopefully they will fix it and the setting will be reactivated in a future release.

If this was not what you where referring to please let me know.

Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to Ken. Thanks for the reply. Btw, what is the correct term for this feature? I thought it was Course Lock but I can't find anything about it in the DJI User's Manual.

I call it GS point-of-interest so not to confuse it with course lock which is a flight mode in the Phantom.

meloyelo said:
No sir I do not.

I have honestly never heard of what you describe happening. The menu is a built-in Android widget and Android places the widget in the title-bar, I do nothing to hide or show it so I wonder if something is hiding it on your device..

Just to be sure we are both talking about the same screen this is an image of the main screen with the menu widget.
Screenshot_2015-01-29-16-31-12.png

Is this the screen you are looking at and that you do not have the 3 dots as appear in the image, upper right corner, just below the time?

kenargo said:
meloyelo said:
No sir I do not.

I have honestly never heard of what you describe happening. The menu is a built-in Android widget and Android places the widget in the title-bar, I do nothing to hide or show it so I wonder if something is hiding it on your device..

Just to be sure we are both talking about the same screen this is an image of the main screen with the menu widget.

Is this the screen you are looking at and that you do not have the 3 dots as appear in the image, upper right corner, just below the time?

Yep that's the screen. Only difference is I'm missing the 3 dots.

meloyelo said:
kenargo said:
meloyelo said:
No sir I do not.

Yep that's the screen. Only difference is I'm missing the 3 dots.

I am at a loss to even guess why you are not seeing the menu buttons; Android places it there so it should just be there. I've never heard nor seen this happen before but I'll keep an eye out for anyone reporting the same issue.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll post up again if anything changes.

^ it's because you have a hardware button for menu on your Android device. Some have recent apps/back and others have menu/back. When there is a hardware menu button, Android will not display the 3 dot menu button on screen in apps.

ilovecoffee said:
^ it's because you have a hardware button for menu on your Android device. Some have recent apps/back and others have menu/back. When there is a hardware menu button, Android will not display the 3 dot menu button on screen in apps.

Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner. That was exactly it. Thanks a bunch for the info!

If it hasn't been mentioned, I'd like to make a suggestion for the GS part of things.

First, the radius - it's hard coded and matches the DJI radius.

I'd suggest the user be able to change that radius or ignore it. That's the way another popular 3rd party app works and it's a feature I'd like to see in this app too if possible. Warnings are fine but hard limits aren't cool.

Next, if the drone is on a GS mission and it feels it doesn't have enough juice it should abandon the mission and return home. Or at least that should be an option.

On the DJI app it just continues on the mission and lands in the swamp when it falls below critical. That's a terrible default behavior. The default should always be "return to home when in trouble" unless specifically told otherwise.

rbhamilton said:
If it hasn't been mentioned, I'd like to make a suggestion for the GS part of things.

I'd suggest the user be able to change that radius or ignore it. That's the way another popular 3rd party app works and it's a feature I'd like to see in this app too if possible. Warnings are fine but hard limits aren't cool.

Next, if the drone is on a GS mission and it feels it doesn't have enough juice it should abandon the mission and return home. Or at least that should be an option.

On the DJI app it just continues on the mission and lands in the swamp when it falls below critical. That's a terrible default behavior. The default should always be "return to home when in trouble" unless specifically told otherwise.
If I'm not mistaking, Your first suggestion is already implemented. At least, it is in the current Alpha release. I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong.

rbhamilton said:

Thanks for your questions. I've answered below:

Limits are configurable: Settings->Flight Control->Ground Station Flight Defaults and Limits . You can increase them, decrease then or turn them off completely.

The other suggestions sound valuable but using the current DJI SDK do not appear to be achievable with some limitation and I'll enumerate that. Once a GS mission starts it is all firmware after that but as long as the Wi-Fi connection is maintained the app is able to cancel a mission and bring the Phantom back home and this functionality I can include in the future (I really like the idea). The caveat is that once Wi-Fi connection is lost so is the health reporting from the Phantom and after that point it becomes a firmware implementation.

Great suggestions and I will add what I can to the list of things to come.

I'm glad your enjoying the app and keep suggestions coming!
Once on a mission

I have a suggestion, is it possible to add Altitude data to EXIF information of jpeg photos? Currently it seems only altitude is recorded in RAW mode. Not sure what controls this, whether it's firmware of the camera or the app itself.

ilovecoffee said:
I have a suggestion, is it possible to add Altitude data to EXIF information of jpeg photos? Currently it seems only altitude is recorded in RAW mode. Not sure what controls this, whether it's firmware of the camera or the app itself.

I will need to look into this and see what the camera portion of the SDK allows but if it does I will add it. I'll include it in the list for additions.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Ken

I have a question before I purchase.
My phantom is a Vision+ that I have upgraded with a H3-3D and GoPro4 Silver. The DJI Vision app works great BUT I have heard that this app crashes when using this combination of hardware.

Is there anyone using this app successfully who has done the GoPro mod? Is it stable? and what features can I expect not to work?

Cheers, TuT

TuT said:
My phantom is a Vision+ that I have upgraded with a H3-3D and GoPro4 Silver. The DJI Vision app works great BUT I have heard that this app crashes when using this combination of hardware.

Is there anyone using this app successfully who has done the GoPro mod? Is it stable? and what features can I expect not to work?

Cheers, TuT

The app includes a setting (under advanced) that will turn off camera interactions that don't work when the Phantom has the DJI Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal modification. Since video and camera don't work when using the Zenmuse mod I worked with a person who flew that specific configuration and was able to disable calls that don't work. I also hide visual elements that don't work like the camera and video buttons and gimbal control giving you more screen for the video feed.

Before you fly open the setting menu, scroll down towards the bottom of the menu and open the Advanced Settings. There is a setting "Camera not Connected, Assume no camera connection (Zenmuse gimbal + GoPro)". Turn this on and you should be good to fly but without the extra stuff on the screen.

Feel free to download and return it if there is an issue or contact me and I'll issue a refund but it should work even a bit better than the Vision app for your configuration.

kenargo said:
TuT said:

Cheers, TuT

The app includes a setting (under advanced) that will turn off camera interactions that don't work when the Phantom has the DJI Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal modification. Since video and camera don't work when using the Zenmuse mod I worked with a person who flew that specific configuration and was able to disable calls that don't work. I also hide visual elements that don't work like the camera and video buttons and gimbal control giving you more screen for the video feed.

Before you fly open the setting menu, scroll down towards the bottom of the menu and open the Advanced Settings. There is a setting "Camera not Connected, Assume no camera connection (Zenmuse gimbal + GoPro)". Turn this on and you should be good to fly but without the extra stuff on the screen.

Feel free to download and return it if there is an issue or contact me and I'll issue a refund but it should work even a bit better than the Vision app for your configuration.

Hi everybody,
I am using Ultimate Flight and Phantom 2 Vision+ modified after accident: stock gimbal and camera replaced by Zenmuse H3-D3 gimbal and Gopro 4 Silver camera. App works beautifully, Ken added special option in Settings to disable stock camera functionality. As compared with DJI Vission app UF has many very useful features: split screen to view the camera feed and map, very useful navigational aids, GS with very easy to use waypoint editor, saving and loading GS missions - and many more (like Follow-me mode - in testing now). It is definitively worth trying.
Regards Mick

Addition: features not working in P2V+ with Zenmuse/Gopro mod: all stock camera functionality. We are waiting until somebody will find a way of controlling the Gopro via Phantom wifi.
Mick

Some one on the Google Group, that also frequencies here asked about the frequent updates to this app and how the release vs pre-release processed work and suggested I post the details here for those who may not fully understand the process...

The pre-release includes waypoint flight (follow-me has been disabled until waypoint is completed and I can focus more time on follow-me). Waypoint flight functionality currently includes the ability to configure waypoint flight restriction limits (or to have them turned off if you want no restriction), the ability to create offline missions and to save then and later load the missions when you are on location or want to fly the same mission multiple times. Drag editing of waypoints as well as ability to configure, per waypoint, speed, stay time and altitude. The icons for the new features are ugly buttons; it's a good way to remind me it isn't finished ;) but there are many people using the waypoint flight with no issues.

Below are the details:

To begin with, yes, I really need to stop using the word crash. When I use it I mean that the app shut down unexpectedly and I need to smack myself into using other verbiage. It’s like using Drone vs Phantom or Quad-copter.

Back to your questions. The official release includes all the camera stuff, flight map, split screen, speech, etc. Basically everything listed in the store listing. If you want the most stable and released quality version of the app then that would be the one you want to use and you should NOT opt-in for pre-release access. The released version includes no flight controls; no waypoint, etc. It is all about camera and map displays.

If you opt-in for testing then Google Play Store will send app releases from the pre-release branch. This branch is fast moving and includes waypoint flight and updates are somewhat frequent.

The way Google manages releases is as follow:

If you don’t opt-in for pre-release access then you will only get released versions and only be updated when the main release is refreshed.

If you do opt-in for pre-release things are a bit different. In this case your device will get the alpha (if available), if not it will get the beta (if available) and if neither alpha not beta is available you get the release.

If you have opted in for pre-release you can opt out using the same link and your device will have the pre-release automatically removed and replaced with the release.

All that said; the pre-release should be no any less stable in the areas of camera and flight image and map display, there is very little difference and unless you turn on ground station you are pretty much running the same code as release.

Even still, if you want the most stable, not being frequently updated version and you have opted into the testing program not understanding how it works and how it affect app updates then feel free to opt-out. At then end of the day you must be comfortable with the version you are running and the update frequency of the app so please do what you need to be satisfied and comfortable with the app.

Ken

Even still, if you want the most stable, not being frequently updated version and you have opted into the testing program not understanding how it works and how it affect app updates then feel free to opt-out. At then end of the day you must be comfortable with the version you are running and the update frequency of the app so please do what you need to be satisfied and comfortable with the app.

Hopefully this makes sense and it sounds like you may have misunderstood how the pre-release programs work on Android.....it did up until that last paragraph... :shock:

Ken

Hey my handle is Moose....what the hell you expect....lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164