Ugh, should I really update firmware?

Reaction score
New to flying drones and quickly got the bug...I own a Phantom 3 standard & have been using my old cell (Samsung Note 3) to operate the app. It doesn't have internet access (obviously when it's connected to the controller) and thus I'm still running out of the box firmware.

The drone flies great, no issues with camera...Is there any reason I should update the firmware???? I'm terrified it's going to break *something*

And also, if I were to update, I understand you can load the firmware onto an SD card and update that way. Is that the ideal method? I don't like the idea of using what is essentially WiFi.

if I were to update, I understand you can load the firmware onto an SD card and update that way. Is that the ideal method?
No. You should update it directly from the firmware update available prompt in DJI GO.

No. You should update it directly from the firmware update available prompt in DJI GO.
Are -certain- this is the most reliable method?? If it is, then okay I'll do it asap. Raining here today anyway :(

Also, I calibrate IMU every other flight, and compass every flight. Is this the recommended procedure?

Reactions: Mmm Anarchy
just got my P3S used, love it, but it has v1.6.8 and i am hitting some flight distance issues (basically loses signal at 300ft., in clean air. redundant question here, but should i upgrade to the latest v1.7.9 as prompted in the DJO GO app?
I've been reading some horror stories of folks that upgrade to this version and their drone can only fly 40 ft. away, etc.

thanks! i am new to this stuff, but i do have the bug also.

just got my P3S used, love it, but it has v1.6.8 and i am hitting some flight distance issues (basically loses signal at 300ft., in clean air. redundant question here, but should i upgrade to the latest v1.7.9 as prompted in the DJO GO app?
I've been reading some horror stories of folks that upgrade to this version and their drone can only fly 40 ft. away, etc.

thanks! i am new to this stuff, but i do have the bug also.
This is what I'm reading...Forget that, I'm not updating until these threads disappear. I can get much farther than 300ft now...

If its flying fine, I would leave it alone!!! I tried to update mine, has issues and had to send it out. Now I'm getting low signal warnings.....have not had a chance to fly it much to trouble shoot but I really wish I left it alone!!

Hey, its me, The anti firmware guy. ;)
Yes, I will probably add something like that in my signature. :rolleyes:

@DanD2
Welcome to the forum!

If this was a firmware related problem?

What happened?

"has issues and had to send it out" ?
For repair?
and it is still goofed up?

Rod

@RodPad , thanx for the welcome. I could not sync the remote with the bird after FW upgrade. I did a quick flight the other night when I got it back and I kept getting low signal warnings. It was only 90' feet up, never had issues before. I need to trouble shoot a bit as soon as the weather turns.

So, You had to send it out for repair, because you couldn't link the remote to the Phantom after a firmware update?

Then, you got it back, and now your not getting good distances?

Low signal warnings?, Image, telemetry or (remote, it wants to RTH)?

If you did send it in for repair, did you send the remote with it, and did they give a list of what was repaired?

and was it under warranty?

Details man, Give us some details. ;)

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers