Ufo flies towards my drone

I need to quit reading these clickbait threads.

Recent buzz-words include:
UFO
almost whacked me
Over the top
BBC slagging drones
etc
etc

I watched the video in this OP probably a couple of dozen times, couldn't see the "UFO" - went to bigger and bigger screens, from my phone to my tablet to my computer and still couldn't see the alleged UFO. My son, who has much better eyes, had to watch it a few times before he saw it. It stayed on screen for what seemed about one second, and had I seen it in one of my videos I certainly would not have identified it as a UFO... more like a bug.

Maybe I need to exercise more discretion in what threads I click into
Your straight tripping. Like I said I'm not claiming some radical alien out of this world object. I am just asking for an explination. This was not a bug

I am just asking for an explination.
A speck of something? Flying at a high rate of speed with a straight line? Ooook
Actually my 4k version shows much more and it's coming from quite a distance
This is where the confusion comes from.
Is it moving at great speed and coming from a great distance or is that an illusion?
i-kdmxRds.jpg

Here's a screenshot from just after the object (highlighted with the red arrow) becomes visible.
Your eye is suggesting the object is back near those houses 100 metres away and it appears to have flown over their roofs.
Shortly after, the object appears much closer
i-6J45vxd-L.jpg

And here it is exiting the frame
i-zv58MGK.jpg

If it has actually moved from back near the buildings marked in the 1st screenshot, you have something moving at a speed of approx 300 km/hr.
That's too fast for something drifting with the wind and it's kind of hard to imagine it's a tiny powered flying machine.
Or it's an illusion and it's a very small object that wasn't visible until it was just a couple of feet from the camera.
A bit of fluff blown on a light breeze at 1-2 metres/sec wouldn't become visible until it was just a couple of feet from the camera.
It would be so close that it's out of focus, with side lighting it shows up and catches your eye.

What's easier to believe?

I'm not trying to claim some outrageous ****. We have just pulled out all the possib
A speck of something? Flying at a high rate of speed with a straight line? Ooook

As I mentioned earlier, the assumption that it is moving really fast follows from the assumption about how far away it is. You cannot distinguish, in a 2-dimensional image, how far an object is from the camera unless you know its size. Small and close looks the same as large and distant. If it is actually small and close (which I guarantee it is) then it is moving quite slowly.

I suggested a simple check back in post #8 - the flight txt log will enable a fairly accurate calculation of the wind speed and direction, and I have no doubt that you will find that the motion of that object (for which we know the bearing but not the speed) is consistent with something drifting on the wind. Or alternatively, we can continue with the entirely data-free speculation.

TXT log: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

The thing about this that stands out to me is that as it apparently gets closer, the size of the object doesn't seem to dramatically increase as you would expect of an object traveling at high speed but which becomes visible at a meaningful distance away as this one appears to. If it does indeed become visible in close proximity to those houses, I would expect to see it's size grow at a much faster rate as it gets closer to the camera. This doesn't seem to be the case which suggests to me the seemingly far distance at which it comes into view isn't really that far from the camera to begin with and I'm more inclined to think it is a spec of something coming at the camera on an angle that gives the viewer the false impression of traveling at a great speed, a far distance away.

Reactions: N017RW and Meta4
No it is definitely coming from past cherry Ave which is way beyond those trees. I will try and post a higher quality video but some of the suggestions made by you guys is doubting my intelligence. I'm not trying to lure people to watch my video ,and no this isn't a bait post or a host or balloon. What it is is somthing I can't explain scientifically. Even a bullet drops in height and speed. This thing was not stoping or dropping. I understand your doubts but I know what I see .and it's not a spec insect dust or golf ball

No it is definitely coming from past cherry Ave which is way beyond those trees.
If you want it to be appearing in the video when it's >100 metres out, the object is going to have to be large enough to see at that distance.
I'm not sure how far out you think that is but it would have to be about 4 feet across to be visible just past those houses I marked.
If you think it was significantly further away, then even bigger.
So how large is the object where you see it passing below the camera and out of the frame?
Is it 4 feet square or bigger?
And how is it flying at >300 km/hr?
Trying to make it fit those numbers is just too difficult.
What it is is somthing I can't explain scientifically.
But it's going to be a lot simpler if it follows the laws of physics.
Anything else is going to be much harder to believe.
Even a bullet drops in height and speed. This thing was not stoping or dropping.
So what would fit that observation?
How about a bit of fluff, close to the lens and drifting along at 1-2 metres/sec?
I understand your doubts but I know what I see .and it's not a spec insect dust or golf ball
So how can you eliminate a small bit of fluff or something similar?
What makes you so sure it's definitely coming from past cherry Ave and not just a couple of feet in front of the lens?

And the biggest mystery: Why are drone flyers that observe these always so reluctant to believe they have seen something ordinary and so keen to think it's something that doesn't comply with the rather well known laws of physics?

No it is definitely coming from past cherry Ave which is way beyond those trees. I will try and post a higher quality video but some of the suggestions made by you guys is doubting my intelligence. I'm not trying to lure people to watch my video ,and no this isn't a bait post or a host or balloon. What it is is somthing I can't explain scientifically. Even a bullet drops in height and speed. This thing was not stoping or dropping. I understand your doubts but I know what I see .and it's not a spec insect dust or golf ball

It's nothing to do with doubting your intelligence, but you still haven't explained how you think you can distinguish something small and close from large and distant. In all the frames where it is visible it is seen in front of the background of houses and terrain. It's never behind anything, and so there is no reference to determine distance. You are being tricked by an optical illusion.

Also, you still haven't compared the wind velocity calculations from the flight log with the apparent motion of the object. While this is an interesting discussion, your refusal to address any of the geometric optics points made or look at any of the relevant flight data is getting a bit frustrating.

Last edited:
Your doubt is getting frustrating

Not only did you not support nor acknoledge those that had an open mind but you wasted your time with those that do not support your views. What is frustrating is you ignored my request for the 4K footage, and did not say thank you to a single person here.

Why would you do that ?

That comment doesn't make any sense at all. I (and others) have pointed out and explained a number of issues with your assumptions. You have studiously ignored all of them. I've suggested a good way to compare the observed motion with the local wind field to see if the motion is consistent with a small, nearby object drifting on the wind. You have completely ignored that. You have ignored other requests to post higher resolution images that might (though probably not) help to identify the object.

This thread has degenerated into you constantly repeating your original hypothesis, which you are now obviously determined to defend irrespective of whether the video and data support it. You are in the wrong forum if you are just here to have your misconceptions validated.

I am just asking for an explination.
You asked and received a very good explanation.
What's really frustrating is that you've been asked several questions to help analyse your "mystery" but haven't answered a single one.
You've gone out of your way to ignore intelligent explanations without bothering to explain why or even hint at why you dismiss anything logical.
Like I said I'm not claiming some radical alien out of this world object.
By refusing to accept reasonable explanations and insisting on your erroneous interpretation of what you think you see, you are claiming some radical alien out of this world object.

Reactions: N017RW and sar104
That's definitely space junk...with a really low orbit.

You sir are doubting two of the best analytical minds on this forum.

Since you just joined this forum last Thursday, maybe you deserve some leeway. However, go back and follow some of the posts from these two guys and you'll see what I mean.

You can keep beating your head against a wall if you wish, but - you. are. wrong.

I would admit if I was wrong. But this isn't dust ok. You wanna call that an intelligent guess then ok . I will shut up

You guys seem to think I'm arguing or ignoring reasonable explinations. But I'm not. If I could post a higher explinations I would. I was just sharing my experience. No one should be getting upset. If I knew the wind trajectory I would have gladly posted it. U guys think I'm tripping then so be it I apologize for not being able to accept it just bring a figment of my imagination

I would admit if I was wrong. But this isn't dust ok.

You really are simply going to ignore every question, suggestion and request for data, aren't you?
You wanna call that an intelligent guess then ok .

No - you don't understand - it's not a guess. It's dust, or a seed, or some other sub-millimeter-scale object very close to the aircraft. That's the simple, common explanation consistent with the video and with basic physics. It's been seen many times before and this won't be the last time that someone appears on this forum insisting instead that it is a large, supersonic object defying the laws of physics that somehow no one in the vicinity noticed.
I will shut up

At this point, since you clearly have no intention of engaging in any meaningful discussion, or posting any data that one might imagine you would think would support your hypothesis, that's probably your best course of action.

You guys seem to think I'm arguing or ignoring reasonable explinations. But I'm not. If I could post a higher explinations I would. I was just sharing my experience. No one should be getting upset. If I knew the wind trajectory I would have gladly posted it. U guys think I'm tripping then so be it I apologize for not being able to accept it just bring a figment of my imagination

As I keep explaining - the wind data are in the flight log.

And ok if you think that's what it is I'm not arguing it. Sorry to make it seem like I was

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik