Two controllers, one aircraft

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought the Alfa antenna kit to mod my P3S controller, but I'm having second thoughts as for most of my flights the stock configuration is perfect, and more compact/versatile than the Alfas. So I was thinking to get a second RC, but there's a couple considerations I'd like inputs on:
1. How do I handle future firmware upgrades? Should I do the upgrade with one RC, don't format the SD card so the BIN file stays there, then link the second RC? Will it upgrade automatically once it detects an older firmware on the RC, similarly to what happens with the batteries?
2. Any potential issues that could arise by keep alternating (linking, re-linking) the two controllers?

As a side note, I also bought some omni antennas that would plug into the same RP-SMA connectors where the Alfas go, so I would have a short-distance setup (omnis) and a long-distance one (Alfas) with the same RC. But I like the idea of a second RC anyways, as a backup.

Last edited:
I think you don’t need any updates on RC. Just stay with what you have.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
If DJI releases a new all-in-one firmware and I decide to install it, it might update the RC that is connected at that time. The question is: how do I update the second RC? I recall seeing some posts about errors caused by RC and AC having different (incompatible) firmware versions. I can't quite find them via search, but I'm pretty sure I saw them.
Another scenario: the second RC (which I will buy used) is running an older version of the firmware than what's currently on my AC. How do I upgrade it?

If DJI releases a new all-in-one firmware and I decide to install it, it might update the RC that is connected at that time. The question is: how do I update the second RC? I recall seeing some posts about errors caused by RC and AC having different (incompatible) firmware versions. I can't quite find them via search, but I'm pretty sure I saw them.
Another scenario: the second RC (which I will buy used) is running an older version of the firmware than what's currently on my AC. How do I upgrade it?
I dont think there would be any new FW release for P3, so don't worry.

Hi,
I just bought the Alfa antenna kit to mod my P3S controller, but I'm having second thoughts as for most of my flights the stock configuration is perfect, and more compact/versatile than the Alfas. So I was thinking to get a second RC, but there's a couple considerations I'd like inputs on:
1. How do I handle future firmware upgrades? Should I do the upgrade with one RC, don't format the SD card so the BIN file stays there, then link the second RC? Will it upgrade automatically once it detects an older firmware on the RC, similarly to what happens with the batteries?
2. Any potential issues that could arise by keep alternating (linking, re-linking) the two controllers?

As a side note, I also bought some omni antennas that would plug into the same RP-SMA connectors where the Alfas go, so I would have a short-distance setup (omnis) and a long-distance one (Alfas) with the same RC. But I like the idea of a second RC anyways, as a backup.
I have two RC's and went through one firmware upgrade though I can't recall which one was linked at the time. I have gone back and forth a couple of times without any issues. Because the P3S is an "all-in-one" I don't think it makes much difference. If the app says up to date firmware, it means both pieces are good to go, according to DJI support.

As far as future updates, unlikely.

I have two RC's and went through one firmware upgrade though I can't recall which one was linked at the time. I have gone back and forth a couple of times without any issues. Because the P3S is an "all-in-one" I don't think it makes much difference. If the app says up to date firmware, it means both pieces are good to go, according to DJI support.

As far as future updates, unlikely.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know, I'll buy a second controller.

Update: bought the second RC, linked to my AC, DJI GO warned me right away that a firmware update was needed. The AC itself was already on the latest 1.9.20, so clearly this was caused by the new RC, exactly as I anticipated (sometimes I hate when I'm right...).
In DJI GO, the AC firmware was reported as version "1.6.80+": wondering if the "+" was there to indicate that some components were actually at a higher version, which seems plausible.
Anyways, with my usual Android device I didn't get the prompt to download a new firmware, so I was a bit stuck. I tried loading the 1.9.20 firmware BIN file on the SD card to see if that was enough for the RC to pick it up, but it wasn't. I then switched to an iOS device and immediately got the prompt to download the firmware. The upgrade completed in less than a minute (as expected, since the AC didn't really needed an upgrade) and the firmware warning disappeared, with GO reporting version 1.9.20.
Did the RC sticks calibration, checked a couple settings, then did a quick range test, which went well: 4000ft without windsurfer (in the same spot, I went as far as 5300ft with a windsurfer).
A couple more test flights to make sure everything is good with the new RC, then it's time for the Alfas.

Last edited:
Update: bought the second RC, linked to my AC, DJI GO warned me right away that a firmware update was needed. The AC itself was already on the latest 1.9.20, so clearly this was caused by the new RC, exactly as I anticipated (sometimes I hate when I'm right...).
In DJI GO, the AC firmware was reported as version "1.6.80+": wondering if the "+" was there to indicate that some components were actually at a higher version, which seems plausible.
Anyways, with my usual Android device I didn't get the prompt to download a new firmware, so I was a bit stuck. I tried loading the 1.9.20 firmware BIN file on the SD card to see if that was enough for the RC to pick it up, but it wasn't. I then switched to an iOS device and immediately got the prompt to download the firmware. The upgraded completed in less than a minute (as expected, since the AC didn't really needed an upgrade) and the firmware warning disappear, with GO reporting version 1.9.20.
Did the RC sticks calibration, checked a couple settings, then did a quick range test, which went well: 4000ft without windsurfer (in the same spot, I went as far as 5300ft with a windsurfer).
A couple more test flights to make sure everything is good with the new RC, then it's time for the Alfas.
Wowzers. 4000 feet? Impressive. I lose line of sight at about 600 and reel it in. Too chicken to fly any further.

You're all set!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl