Trouble writing to memorycard?

Reaction score
So, during a two-battery session today, the app started complaining about "slow writing" and then simply stopped recording on several occations. Recording stopped randomly after about 30 seconds to 4 minutes. I first though this could be due to the conditions as I was flying at about 5 below zero (centigrade), but when I later did a test recording indoors, the same happened again. About 90% of the clips that were recorded seems to be intact, but obviously this is far from ideal.

I have not had any issues with the card before (sandisk ultra 64 sdxc i), and after a format, it did seem back in good shape.

Has anyone else seen this? Did I just have a strike of bad luck?

Also, worth mentioning is that I suddenly lost gps at about 100 meters (and the wind certainly got a good grab of the drone); this was with a clear sky and no interfering structures (as I was above a lake) so I assume this was due to the low temperature (guessing between 5 and 10 below at this height). I regained gps after 30-60 seconds (at about 50 meters height).

Lastly, the batteries performed very well in these conditions (did not time it but not many minutes lost).

Here are two shots from the session, I love this camera :)

Attachments

• DJI_0153.jpg
    DJI_0153.jpg
    979.8 KB · Views: 311
  • DJI_0159.jpg
    DJI_0159.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 311
Reactions: Techcop50
Great photos.
The increased bandwidth of the P4P is shooting more data at the card, my guess.
I have several micro SD cards, never had a "slow" error until I got the P4P.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Great photos.
The increased bandwidth of the P4P is shooting more data at the card, my guess.
I have several micro SD cards, never had a "slow" error until I got the P4P.
Could be but as the 100mbps is constant that should be a consistent problem rather than a suddenly appearing one. I have not seen this on my first five sessions.

Anyone know a guaranteed to work sdcard?

Reactions: Techcop50
I backed off on the res and the problem went away. I figured out the hard way, it's easier for me to record in the end spec and not have so much rendering/recoding to do. The bigger the files, the greater the horsepower required. My PC is not up to 4k 60. I record mostly in 1080p 30 now, unless I have a need to do otherwise.

Could be but as the 100mbps is constant that should be a consistent problem rather than a suddenly appearing one. I have not seen this on my first five sessions.

Anyone know a guaranteed to work sdcard?
Maybe, I don't know. It could be a cache dump causing it, or maybe it's a variable bit rate. Mine seemed worse when I had the most movement in the lens.
The Lexar 1800 series is the fastest I've found. I ordered a 32 Gb from Amazon on Thursday, $39.95.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012PKPIEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I have seen people having issues with the Lexars. They are not on the DJI approved list. Sandisk extreme or higher work great though. Also SD cards are one of the few things I won't buy on amazon. I've gotten too many counterfeit cards that perform poorly. If you have a Costco membership you can get two sandisk extreme 32gb for $26.

I have seen people having issues with the Lexars. They are not on the DJI approved list. Sandisk extreme or higher work great though. Also SD cards are one of the few things I won't buy on amazon. I've gotten too many counterfeit cards that perform poorly.
The Lexar specs out the best:
microSDHC 32GB—up to 270MB/s read, 245MB/s write

But if DJI doesn't accept it, it's useless to me. I'll let you know.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
I have seen people having issues with the Lexars. They are not on the DJI approved list. Sandisk extreme or higher work great though. Also SD cards are one of the few things I won't buy on amazon. I've gotten too many counterfeit cards that perform poorly. If you have a Costco membership you can get two sandisk extreme 32gb for $26.
You were correct about the Lexar card, it wound not initialize. Looking at the back, it had another extra row of contacts. It's on the way back. I ordered Silicon Power 64 Gb on a lightning deal for $17.99, I've had great luck with that brand.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MPW13ZF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The same card performed without any problems today; so I assume the reformat was the solution (I usually do this before every session). I believe I had deleted a few files causing fragmentation originally causing the problems. Note to self: do not delete files before flying..

Added a shot from today aswell.

Attachments

• DJI_0181.jpg
    DJI_0181.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 320

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member