Triple your P3P range with an aluminum range booster!!!!

Crazy!!! These little things are amazing!!! My previous best horizontal distance was 8300 ft. With this thing I have worked my way up to 16,133 ft, that's just over 3 miles out!!! I had full signal the whole way out with only a couple of very brief episodes of "weak video signal" whereas before "weak video signal" and "weak transmitter signal" were the limiting factors. The only limiting factor now is battery life. I landed with 8% battery remaining! Whew!

Which ones did you buy? Link?

bob

I have this one and seem to work OK but have not tested it properly yet.. not sure how much was improved.

Might also buy this one and compare the 2.

I have this one and seem to work OK but have not tested it properly yet.. not sure how much was improved.

Might also buy this one and compare the 2.

The second one is better. It's longer, it folds, and it keeps your antennas parallel. Being solid aluminum has no benefit for radio efficiency on the first one.

There are some windsurfers that are designed with less efficiency. When installed on the antennas, measure the distance between the antenna shaft and the reflecting surface. Most of them are about 3/4" spaced (if I recall correctly), but there are some less efficient designs that are only 1/2" spaced, which doesn't work as good. The greater the space the better they work, but there is a limit to the space based on the parabolic curve of the device. I think 3/4" is the max possible. For such a small investment the ROI is excellent, they do work good but a novice pilot may forget to keep the parabolic dish pointed at the craft in long distance flights, when it's important. This is especially tough when you have another person watching and talking to you during the flight, the distraction can be too much sometimes.

Last edited:
The second one is better. It's longer, it folds, and it keeps your antennas parallel. Being solid aluminum has no benefit for radio efficiency on the first one.

There are some windsurfers that are designed with less efficiency. When installed on the antennas, measure the distance between the antenna shaft and the reflecting surface. Most of them are about 3/4" spaced (if I recall correctly), but there are some less efficient designs that are only 1/2" spaced, which doesn't work as good. The greater the space the better they work, but there is a limit to the space based on the parabolic curve of the device. I think 3/4" is the max possible. For such a small investment the ROI is excellent, they do work good but a novice pilot may forget to keep the parabolic dish pointed at the craft in long distance flights, when it's important. This is especially tough when you have another person watching and talking to you during the flight, the distraction can be too much sometimes.

Yep, the second one worked great for me until I bought the Maxx Itelite. I'd say it tripled my range where I fly. I ended up giving my windsurfer to a member here who didn't have one and I had no use for it any longer.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Ive ordered a set of these in the UK...will give them a comparison test against standard when they arrive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ELAKMQ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive clocked 2600ms over water with my p3p and would hope to get 2+ miles with the boosters. Its pretty **** seeing some of the distances the yanks are getting straight outta the box :(

s0v9qq.jpg

Yep, the second one worked great for me until I bought the Maxx Itelite. I'd say it tripled my range where I fly. I ended up giving my windsurfer to a member here who didn't have one and I had no use for it any longer.

Yes, the Itelite antennas are nice, I have one too (DBS2.2), the smaller version, on my P4. The Maxx version is monster size, about 4X the surface area I'm guessing. I don't have a Maxx model, but I don't see how that can fit in my backpack, and I have two of the largest backpacks available, ProCraft and Helipak. How do you transport yours? Separately? If you have the GL300C controller, I can understand why you went with the Maxx model, that RC is the weakest model DJI has made to date.

I'm pretty content with 15,000' range on my P3P, since the battery is the limiting factor. My P4 with DBS2 has a slight battery advantage, and it uses an Inspire controller with my P4. The GL658A Inspire controller has ~50% more RF power than my P4 RC, hence I don't need the Maxx model, the DBS2 is adequate. My P4 with Inspire RC+DBS2 works about the same as my P3P with windsurfer, range-wise.

What's your comfort zone for range? You have a battery mod?

Yes, the Itelite antennas are nice, I have one too (DBS2.2), the smaller version, on my P4. The Maxx version is monster size, about 4X the surface area I'm guessing. I don't have a Maxx model, but I don't see how that can fit in my backpack, and I have two of the largest backpacks available, ProCraft and Helipak. How do you transport yours? Separately? If you have the GL300C controller, I can understand why you went with the Maxx model, that RC is the weakest model DJI has made to date.

I'm pretty content with 15,000' range on my P3P, since the battery is the limiting factor. My P4 with DBS2 has a slight battery advantage, and it uses an Inspire controller with my P4. The GL658A Inspire controller has ~50% more RF power than my P4 RC, hence I don't need the Maxx model, the DBS2 is adequate. My P4 with Inspire RC+DBS2 works about the same as my P3P with windsurfer, range-wise.

What's your comfort zone for range? You have a battery mod?

Just a heads up @John !! I have been testing non stop with the RigExpert it-24 and when I pair my inspire GL658C remote (which supposedly is the highest power of all the inspire remotes) to my p3p it drops output to be in line with the p3p GL300A & GL300B

From what I have read the GL300 when down in power with their revisions but the inspire 1 GL658 increased as they went on with revisions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just a heads up @John !! I have been testing non stop with the RigExpert it-24 and when I pair my inspire GL658C remote (which supposedly is the highest power of all the inspire remotes) to my p3p it drops output to be in line with the p3p GL300A & GL300B

From what I have read the GL300 when down in power with their revisions but the inspire 1 GL658 increased as they went on with revisions.

That's interesting Kyle. Where did you get the information that newer GL658s are higher RF output than older? That isn't what I have read in the past. Just curious where that came from. Have you found the FCC filings? I've been meaning to look for those.

That's interesting Kyle. Where did you get the information that newer GL658s are higher RF output than older? That isn't what I have read in the past. Just curious where that came from. Have you found the FCC filings? I've been meaning to look for those.

I honestly can't remember where I found it John, I am going to have to look for it.

But, after sending that last message and reading a bit more online since... I had to test some more.

The remotes I used:
Inspire GL658C
P4 GL300C

The Aircrafts used were:
Inspire 1 V2 T601
P3P W323B

Test 1:
Inspire 1 paired with GL658C
Powered up and instantly
19.4dBm
87.5mW

Test 2:
P3P paired with GL658C
Powered up and instantly
13.1dBm
20.4mW
As I suspected but I have to come back to this in a min.

Test 3:
P3P paired with GL300C (from a p4)
Powered up and instantly
11.9dBm
15.4mW

Ok now you are probably wondering why I was writing "instantly" and back to test 2:

Phone rang so I left it on and took the call .. After I hung up I came back to my test 2 and it went from:
13.1dBm -> 19.4dBm
20.4mW -> 87.5mW

So I thought all my tests were wrong. I redid all the tests but waited 5min with the remote on & paired to the bird to make sure none of the others jumped up. They didn't. The only one that jumped up was the inspire remote paired to a p3.

Test 1:
74bddfb241ce7bdd37c611aa91d096d1_thumb.jpg

Test 2a:
d46a86a4794818da2642f16183f5a2ae_thumb.jpg

Test 2b:
7020c57a9f9c14304625b50eaeb4df7a_thumb.jpg

Test 3:
44f50f8e8a1e75b0f6e98fe909c8c73e_thumb.jpg

Do these Windsurfer antennas also helpe with the live video transmission range?

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey Nollzr,

Yes they will definitely help a bit. The windsurfer was the very first mod I did, that's what got me into modding in the first place.

In my opinion they are a really easy way to start, they are cheap, you will probably get a bit more range, and you can go back to stock by sliding it off. I agree with John, the folding one is my favorite. They can be found on Amazon real cheap !

I must warn you though, once you get a taste for long range ... You will be hooked lol !!!!!

But don't worry .. We are here for you with everything you could possibly want ;)

Reactions: Digdat0
Yea, and Windsurfers don't violate FCC Part-15 rules for non-licensed radio transmitters.

Anything else most likely does subject you to FCC Part-15 violations without an Amateur Radio License.

Many U.S. vendors make this known.

Yea, and Windsurfers don't violate FCC Part-15 rules for non-licensed radio transmitters.

Anything else most likely does subject you to FCC Part-15 violations without an Amateur Radio License.

Many U.S. vendors make this known.

An Amateur Radio license does not give you any privileges in the bands in question.

Though there is only a minor overlap between Part15 and Part97 @2.4 & 5.8 GHz, my point is that no modification can be done to Part 15 accepted equipment without, a mimimum, Part 97 endorsement.
So ANYTHING else besides Windsurfers requires proper licensing.

yeah right. Hah. [emoji5]
Though there is only a minor overlap between Part15 and Part97 @2.4 & 5.8 GHz, my point is that no modification can be done to Part 15 accepted equipment without, a mimimum, Part 97 endorsement.
So ANYTHING else besides Windsurfers requires proper licensing.

The ISM band is unlicensed. Emissions are supposed to be limited to 30 microvolts/meter at 30 meters field strength but nobody is checking. Type acceptance has been written out of part 15 rules, replaced with certification or a declaration of conformity.

Yes semantically that's true.

Basically the FCC has 'outsourced' the testing but the requirements are the same.
Makes sense especially with the explosion of wireless devices in the last decade or so.

I honestly can't remember where I found it John, I am going to have to look for it.

But, after sending that last message and reading a bit more online since... I had to test some more.

The remotes I used:
Inspire GL658C
P4 GL300C

The Aircrafts used were:
Inspire 1 V2 T601
P3P W323B

Test 1:
Inspire 1 paired with GL658C
Powered up and instantly
19.4dBm
87.5mW

Test 2:
P3P paired with GL658C
Powered up and instantly
13.1dBm
20.4mW
As I suspected but I have to come back to this in a min.

Test 3:
P3P paired with GL300C (from a p4)
Powered up and instantly
11.9dBm
15.4mW

Ok now you are probably wondering why I was writing "instantly" and back to test 2:

Phone rang so I left it on and took the call .. After I hung up I came back to my test 2 and it went from:
13.1dBm -> 19.4dBm
20.4mW -> 87.5mW

So I thought all my tests were wrong. I redid all the tests but waited 5min with the remote on & paired to the bird to make sure none of the others jumped up. They didn't. The only one that jumped up was the inspire remote paired to a p3.

Test 1:
74bddfb241ce7bdd37c611aa91d096d1_thumb.jpg

Test 2a:
d46a86a4794818da2642f16183f5a2ae_thumb.jpg

Test 2b:
7020c57a9f9c14304625b50eaeb4df7a_thumb.jpg

Test 3:
44f50f8e8a1e75b0f6e98fe909c8c73e_thumb.jpg

Kyle,

If you fly your P3P with the GL300C then the GL658C, does the range increase when using the Inspire controller?

If you pair the GL658C to a P4, will it output 19.4dBm like it does when paired to the P3P?

Hey Tony,

Yes I haven't measured the exact difference in range but it is definitely noticeable. (I'm talking about using whip antennas like the stock remote) when it's hooked up to my boosted MaxxRange it is far less noticeable.

I don't have a p4 to test here at the moment so I couldn't tell you unfortunately.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub