Triple your P3P range with an aluminum range booster!!!!

Hey Tony,

Yes I haven't measured the exact difference in range but it is definitely noticeable. (I'm talking about using whip antennas like the stock remote) when it's hooked up to my boosted MaxxRange it is far less noticeable.

I don't have a p4 to test here at the moment so I couldn't tell you unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
This is a little OT but I asked on another thread and didn't get an answer. My question was can I use stock P4 RC with latest FW and pair it with my P3P with latest FW? If I understood correctly you did exactly that in your tests.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The p3 pro and advanced remorse and p4 remotes are interchangeable without issue!

The inspire remote can pair down to the p3pro or advanced .. And also to the p4 but you cannot pair the p3 and p4 remotes with the inspire.

Reactions: Digdat0
I should add, the reason for that is he inspire also requires the 5.8ghz data link for dual operator. Also the inspire remote has its own GPS receiver in the remote.

The p3&p4 remotes do not have the 5.8ghz radio inside, nor do they have a built in GPS.

Reactions: Digdat0
I have been offered a GL658A for a OK price is this one of the better ones over the B?

Want to use it with my P3P should work fine..currently have the GL300C.

Phone rang so I left it on and took the call .. After I hung up I came back to my test 2 and it went from:
13.1dBm -> 19.4dBm
20.4mW -> 87.5mW

It was my understanding that the P3 remotes all start up with the lower power level that is required for compliance in the EU, but then - after you are connected to the Phantom and the GPS initializes and determines that you are in North America - the power level jumps up to the higher level that is allowed here.

I also remember reading something that said at some point in the last 8 months, the power level was reduced across the board on all P3 remotes - it may have been when the P4 was released? At the time, the speculation was that DJI was playing games to try to make the P4 compare more favorably when pitted directly against the P3.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
I have been offered a GL658A for a OK price is this one of the better ones over the B?

Want to use it with my P3P should work fine..currently have the GL300C.
For all the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth around here, they're pretty much all of the same. The power argument reminds me of the endless 'pixel peeping' in the photography forums. Unless you are one of the odd, er, dedicated people that are trying to get the absolute maximum range out of their Phantoms on each and every flight (hey, everybody needs a hobby), it makes little day-to-day difference.

And this is from a guy with all manner of radio test gear.

Go fly.

I got to page 4 of this thread before jumping to the end here. I see all kinds of posts stating that the solid aluminum parabolic antenna is way better than the windsurfer which in itself may be true. What's not necessarily true is that the better performance is because of the solid aluminum! As others have pinged out - there's no benefit to having a completely solid piece of metal at these particular frequencies. It's far more likely that the improvement in performance is due to the aluminum model having a more perfect parabolic shape - and if you tested enough different variations of the windsurfers from different manufacturers or printed off of different designs - you'd get results that back up this theory.

One other thing to keep in mind when you're deciding what exactly is "enough" in terms of antenna upgrades - is that going further is not the only reason to strengthen your single. Even at closer ranges, obstacles such as trees and houses can lower your signal considerably. Having extra power handy can give you far more control at lower levels or on the other side of buildings or tree clusters (or mini-forests).

I'm very happy with my ITElite MaxxRange antenna and dual 3W Sunhans boosters - and from the parking lot, I can land on any of the tee blocks on a well-treed 9-hole golf course without losing signal. The furthest one away is only about 500m, but I'd bet that the windsurfers - aluminum or not - would lose signal almost immediately after dropping below the tree line.

I got mine from MaxxUAV.ca and was very happy with the installation job, the performance and the price - but if you're going to get one of these setups and plan to fly for any length of time - I highly recommend attaching a quick release plate for a tripod to the bottom of your RC and operating it from the tripod! It's far easier to keep it aimed at the Phantom and much easier on the back!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471628548.064240.jpg

Found a brand new GL658C for a decent price on eBay today will see how it compares with my GL300C.

I should be happy with the GL658C + windsurfers combo.. this fits in my bag and no other mods required.

PS: can prob see myself ordering a MaxxRange Mod in 1 or so months for more range again :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.