Triple blade props

Reaction score
Hi all.... happy new year to one and all, hope you all have a prosperous new year..

Does anyone out there use triple bladed props on their p3s...what are the advantages, words of caution etc.....???

Regards
Gaz

Reactions: NitroMan
People have tried them. Most don't work well and they might cause your Phantom to crash. It's best to use OEM DJI props.

Lots of previous threads. Have you thought of searching the site?

Adding blades does not improve performance and reduces efficiency.

Adding blades is a method to reduce disc diameter for design considerations such as ground or fuselage clearance or to make use of increased power where increasing blade length is otherwise impossible or impractical.

Hi msinger, newbie here just wondering why OEM DJI props and from who/where?
Well I am sure msinger will reply, but props are one of the single source of failure, you lose a prop, and you are down, same with batteries, so..
I do not take a risk with these items. I also think a huge amount of research has gone into the OEM stuff, so for props, I stay with DJI ,OEM.

Last edited:
Reactions: wfmiller
Thanks for all your comments guys, I will take heed and give them a miss...I appreciate your help....

Better looking static display?... many might agree.

What is 1000% better than OEM?

Reactions: jasonx
Thanks for all your comments guys, I will take heed and give them a miss...I appreciate your help....

The size and number, 2,3,4,5,6, of the blades has to be matched to the engine power of torque. The blades can only be so long before they go sonic(outer tips) and loose lift instead of making it. As the engines produced more power the props could only get so long and then increase in number.I.E. If it has two propellers stay with two, the pitch and size of is matched to the motor.

I use carbon fiber dual blade props and my movements are exaggerated.

Exaggerated i.e
quicker movements left and right
Faster speeds (47MPH vs +/-53MPH)

The blades are a tad bit heavier but technically "lighter and faster" for its size.

I would suggest that if your bird comes with 3 blades stay with 3 blades... If it comes with 2 blades, use 2 blades, etc, etc, etc...

I use carbon fiber dual blade props and my movements are exaggerated.

Exaggerated i.e
quicker movements left and right

The blades are a tad bit heavier but technically "lighter and faster" for its size.

I would suggest that if your bird comes with 3 blades stay with 3 blades... If it comes with 2 blades, use 2 blades, etc, etc, etc...
Something can’t be heavier yet lighter and faster, we don’t have the technology yet.

Which props are you running? Are they genuine CF woven Matt/resins Ir the FAUX CF offerings that seem to proliferate. eBay and Chinese sellers?

Whatever the aftermarket props are simple fact is that the max horizontal speed of your phantom is governed by tilt angle which is limited by the flight controller. To the extent the aftermarket props were producing greater thrust the flight controller would simply feed less power into the motors.

Reality is your aftermarket props are inferior to OEM. Below is actual thrust measurements of DJI OEM vs aftermarket 9450 style props on a test rig at various static RMP intervals.

0C09A881-0034-49A5-8B7C-010A04F19774.jpeg

Something can’t be heavier yet lighter and faster, we don’t have the technology yet.

Which props are you running? Are they genuine CF woven Matt/resins Ir the FAUX CF offerings that seem to proliferate. eBay and Chinese sellers?

Whatever the aftermarket props are simple fact is that the max horizontal speed of your phantom is governed by tilt angle which is limited by the flight controller. To the extent the aftermarket props were producing greater thrust the flight controller would simply feed less power into the motors.

Reality is your aftermarket props are inferior to OEM. Below is actual thrust measurements of DJI OEM vs aftermarket 9450 style props on a test rig at various static RMP intervals.

View attachment 92964
Ultimaxx props...

The blade is a little bit more..... Bent? Sloped?

Anyhow, the blades are full carbon.
If you look really close you can see the weaves and the resin coat (some areas are not super smooth like plastic looks like)

I've laid CF before, it's the real deal...
Also when you touch the blades together it definitely makes a non-plastic "tink" sound.

I guess I'll need to record my screen showing the faster side to side speeds and elevation speeds..

I don't use fleabay for anything.

I meant the blades are heavier than OEM but for the size they are (material wise) it's lighter than OEM. If OEM was that thick it would be heavier... Hope that helps

Ultimaxx props...

The blade is a little bit more..... Bent? Sloped?

Anyhow, the blades are full carbon.
If you look really close you can see the weaves and the resin coat (some areas are not super smooth like plastic looks like)

I've laid CF before, it's the real deal...
Also when you touch the blades together it definitely makes a non-plastic "tink" sound.

I guess I'll need to record my screen showing the faster side to side speeds and elevation speeds..

I don't use fleabay for anything.

I meant the blades are heavier than OEM but for the size they are (material wise) it's lighter than OEM. If OEM was that thick it would be heavier... Hope that helps
Ok, gotcha- re the weight.....

Would be very interested to see any evidence of increased sustained flight speed.

Normally you'd expect that the flight controller won't allow the Phantom to go faster with non-standard props.
Do you have any testing data to show that isn't simply riding the wind?
Like a flight record showing a 500 metre run in both directions?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj