Triple blade props

The three inch straight through exhaust input in my car made it sound faster- it made less power on the dyno though.

The props may be spinning faster as they have less thrust for a given rpm...

The intake is tuned to control the speed and vibration of the air. As it works with things like intake runners,injectors, valves and so on.
Think of it like a trumpet.
You change this, the air changes frequencies and then no longer works with the oem system. Nothing is no longer matched and the injectors have issues with atomization of fuel. Hence the decrease in performance. The air can be tuned back by adding a few bits. This same issue can cause issues with MAF readings to the ecu as well.

This might help visual aids are usually good to grasp a concept

I put the wrong link in previously sorry gang

Last edited:
Reactions: charlieb4
The intake is tuned to control the speed and vibration of the air. As it works with things like intake runners,injectors, valves and so on.
You change this, the air changes frequencies and then no longer works with the oem system. Nothing is no longer matched and the injectors have issues with atomization of fuel. Hence the decrease in performance. The air can be tuned back by adding a few bits. This same issue can cause issues with MAF readings to the ecu as well.

Analogous to altering the tuning of a Phantom's propulsion system by changing the props with no opportunity for the user to tweak it with a 'few bits'.

I'm glad someone has seen the few benefits of CF props...

Although it seemed to wrench itself on and so I switched back to plastics because those props are stronger than the frame lol

How Its Made - Model Airplane Propeller Manufacturing – Master Airscrew

Glass Fiber‐Reinforced Composites: From Formulation to Application

The different between carbon fiber, and glass fiber.

Fiber Reinforced Composites -

Now, that we r on the subject of the blades, I wanted to let u all know, I have bought myself some wooden blades. Even tho I have brought the blades, I still like to hear any import from u guys as to what u think. When I brought the wooden ones, I decide on buying the prop guards since wood can break....lol. I have not fly enough on the wood blades, because I had crash my P3 SE. On careful inspection, there is no scratch, or any damages of any kind to the blades, thanks to the prop guards. Your thoughts......

link to the wooden blades:

Xoar PJP-N-PH3 Xoar Precision Pair Beechwood Self-Tightening Props for DJI Phantom 3

Last edited:
The MAF is simply measuring the mass or air entering the system, to the extent a modification reduces efficiency of the induction it will still work accurately. The benefits of engineering tuned intake runners are well known, reduced scavenging or flow performance of the exhaust will not require ir benefit from changes to the intake runners or plenum volume (this is determined predominantly by cylinder volume and engine RPM). I’m amy case my issue had nothing to do with the intake system, 20psi+ boost makes inlet runner tuning largely irrelevant. I was loosing power at low Boost as the exhaust system was providing increased back pressure at the turbine, poor scavenging efficiency, the tuner blamed the dump pipe siding and length.

I’m any case my point was simple. How it sounds of feels can be misleading- the proof is in measured performance. Nobody here has backed up their claim of
Improved aftermarket prop performance in a phantom 3 or later with actual measured data. We know from the flight controller implementation it should not be possible.

Hi all.... happy new year to one and all, hope you all have a prosperous new year..

Does anyone out there use triple bladed props on their p3s...what are the advantages, words of caution etc.....???

Regards
Gaz
What’s wrong with the standard one? Don’t you get any lift?

Three is the most efficient blade design as you notice all wind turbines are 3 bladed however the DJI units are calibrated for 2 so adding a more efficient blade may seem to make more sense but if the IMU is not programed for the performance dynamics there will more than likely be a detrimental result. It's like taking the mufflers off your motorcycle thinking it will make more power however just the opposite will happen unless the computer operations are remapped.

The propeller is matched to the engine. It is a complicated engineering formula that is used to figure the match. Some of the turbojet aircraft have six or seven blades versus rarely more than four on piston engines because of the huge increase in power.Once again OEM is undoubtedly the best combination for that application. Flying your machine with non OEM equipment will most likely void any warranty.

The propeller is matched to the engine. It is a complicated engineering formula that is used to figure the match. Some of the turbojet aircraft have six or seven blades versus rarely more than four on piston engines because of the huge increase in power.Once again OEM is undoubtedly the best combination for that application. Flying your machine with non OEM equipment will most likely void any warranty.
What complicated formula are you talking about? It’s as simple as you have suggested. The increased blade count is a compromise between max practical disc area, tip speed and input power. Longer blades and less of them will always give the highest efficiency for any given thrust.

my point was simple. How it sounds of feels can be misleading- the proof is in measured performance. Nobody here has backed up their claim of Improved aftermarket prop performance in a phantom 3 or later with actual measured data. We know from the flight controller implementation it should not be possible.

WTB nailed it. And, there are so many factors in prop performance that you have to first define your goal to determine what you want. Climb performance? Speed? Battery Efficiency? Noise reduction? Maneuverability? Each of these primary goals will have a different "best" prop design. And then you have to account for the DJI computer moderating the inputs and their effects on the AC. There don't seem to be any aftermarket tuners out there offering controller mods like there are in the Auto sector, or maybe I just haven't found them yet. JMHO

What complicated formula are you talking about? It’s as simple as you have suggested. The increased blade count is a compromise between max practical disc area, tip speed and input power. Longer blades and less of them will always give the highest efficiency for any given thrust.

Yes that’s the one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164