Travelling with your Drone on Commercial airlines

The BEST way to check anything of value is in a hard case with locks, and toss a gun in with it. It may be handles poorly, but the hard case protects everything. And TSA cant open a case with a declared weapon without you being present.
Not the best advice as this is not just about USA jurisdiction.

A laptop for starters. And I never travel without my SteelSeries H Wireless headphones
The laptop will fit, just not in the overhead of regional airlines.

Not the best advice as this is not just about USA jurisdiction.
I doubt anyone would want to waste their carry-on space for an international flight on a quad! And the statement I was addressing was from an American. Obviously a person from some other country would know if they can or cant fly with a weapon.

The DJI hard case is about 1 inch too big in one direction.

But that dimension is compressible foam. I have more than 50 flights with a backpack larger than the DJI case. Backpacks aren't scrutinized at checkin, and will fit in the overhead. My larger bag (larger than the DJI case) even fit in the smaller local flights among cities within southeast Asia. Worst case scenario for the DJI hard case is to have it checked at the gate, as I already mentioned. This is FAR safer than the regular checked luggage process, and you can specifically inform them of the the fragile nature of the contents. Pays to be really nice to them and thank them for their troubles, of course. :)

Not sure what it means to "Waste" carryon space for a drone case, as one person wrote. You are only on the plane for a few hours ... not sure what a person would need so desperately that they would risk their copter in exchange. To each his own. When I fly to southeast Asia I am on the plane for 13+ hours without ever needing anything from my overhead bag.

As far as bringing a gun with me ... seriously? My guns are between my shoulders and my elbows. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ti22 and Fplvert
But that dimension is compressible foam. I have more than 50 flights with a backpack larger than the DJI case. Backpacks aren't scrutinized at checkin, and will fit in the overhead. My larger bag (larger than the DJI case) even fit in the smaller local flights among cities within southeast Asia. Worst case scenario for the DJI hard case is to have it checked at the gate, as I already mentioned. This is FAR safer than the regular checked luggage process, and you can specifically inform them of the the fragile nature of the contents. Pays to be really nice to them and thank them for their troubles, of course. :)
And? If you were to read everything I said.. I already covered that.
The DJI hard case is about 1 inch too big in one direction. But it is rare for that to matter. I've never been questioned, and have never seen anyone else mention it either.

And? If you were to read everything I said.. I already covered that.

You and I already had this discussion. And yet you mention it again. We agree it is not a problem, as we did the last time, and as I suspect we will do each time you bring it up. :)

And I always read every word of what you write. Doesn't mean we always have to share the same exact words 100% of the time. ;-)

Last edited:
Only problem there is, you STILL can't avoid the "gorillas", as well as the thieves, who handle all the checked, in luggage. I'd NEVER check in anything of value.

There is always a risk, but checking it at the gate is FAR safer. You have to shmooze the people at the desk a bit, apologize for the large bag, and tell them how important and fragile the contents are. Checking at the gate means someone will hand-carry it to the cargo hold and place it in a separate area from the regular checked baggage. Riskier than carry on, for sure, but FAR safer than regular checked luggage.

There is always a risk, but checking it at the gate is FAR safer. You have to shmooze the people at the desk a bit, apologize for the large bag, and tell them how important and fragile the contents are. Checking at the gate means someone will hand-carry it to the cargo hold and place it in a separate area from the regular checked baggage. Riskier than carry on, for sure, but FAR safer than regular checked luggage.
Actually.. the best way to get you bag abused is to check it at the gate. Ramp personnel, of which my wife was for varying parts of her 22 year career and covering 14 different airports, have no patience for people that pull that crap. Your bag is marked differently than those checked properly, and are abused accordingly. At both ends of the flight. The poor gate attendant might make you feel all warm and cozy about it, but she has nothing to do with the way its handled!

Once again..I would NEVER check anything of value. I don't care of it's through the ticket counter, as you're entering the airport, or addy the gate. Any of these, you run the possibility of it being stolen, either at departure, or arrival. Even though you check it in at the gate, and a flight attendant hand-carries it to the belly of the plane, once you reach your destination, you have NO clue of who, or how many people, will handle it. If you're changing planes, multiply that number by 2-3. The safest way is keeping it with you.

Reactions: Fplvert
Once again..I would NEVER check anything of value. I don't care of it's through the ticket counter, as you're entering the airport, or addy the gate. Any of these, you run the possibility of it being stolen, either at departure, or arrival. Even though you check it in at the gate, and a flight attendant hand-carries it to the belly of the plane, once you reach your destination, you have NO clue of who, or how many people, will handle it. If you're changing planes, multiply that number by 2-3. The safest way is keeping it with you.
That's exactly why its great to toss a gun in with your valuables. Those packages ARE handled differently, are as secure as YOU make them, and are hand carried to the customer service desk.

I'm going on vacation next week, British airway will allow me to take my P2V on as "carry on" with a B&W type 61 case, fits in the over head compartment but when I get to the States I'll have a connecting flight A/A which I can't take on as "carry on" so this is going to be very interesting for me.

I phoned AA & was told my case Was to big for the over head lockers so it will need to go in the belly of the plane with my suit cases.:eek:

My case should handle being thrown about but again that's why I bought the case to look after my Phantom.

Fingers crossed my Phantom is in one piece at the other end;)

I'm going on vacation next week, British airway will allow me to take my P2V on as "carry on" with a B&W type 61 case, fits in the over head compartment but when I get to the States I'll have a connecting flight A/A which I can't take on as "carry on" so this is going to be very interesting for me.

I phoned AA & was told my case Was to big for the over head lockers so it will need to go in the belly of the plane with my suit cases.:eek:

My case should handle being thrown about but again that's why I bought the case to look after my Phantom.

Fingers crossed my Phantom is in one piece at the other end;)
No handgun solution for you!

Reactions: III% Streve
I can neither confirm nor disprove the rather broad generalization that all ramp personnel deliberately abuse baggage on both ends of a flight, but my occasional travel companion sometimes has to give up his large bag at the gate- usually on full flights. It contains camera gear, and he has never had a problem. Experiences may vary, of course. I will carry mine on unless they tell me I can't, and then at that point I will have no choice but to entrust it to the gate crew if I am going to go on the trip.

How in the world are you getting a laptop to fit in a case that doesn't even have room for a full side tablet?
Here's a nice review from Ben:

That's exactly why its great to toss a gun in with your valuables. Those packages ARE handled differently, are as secure as YOU make them, and are hand carried to the customer service desk.
This is pretty silly. Why would the average air traveler want to pack a gun? To protect their valuables which are entrusted to airport baggage handlers?

And again, whether domestic or international, there are laws against carrying guns. Take New York, Washington DC, or Chicago for example.

A friend of mine travels often with his fancy shotgun to trap and skeet competitions (he is nationally ranked and makes big bucks). More than once his gun missed his flight.

Here's a nice review from Ben:
Good review, but my P3 sitting on top of my newest laptop is 9" tall. That means there is no room for any padding at all. Granted there is likely not going to be any problems, but that one time you get called out for being over sized is the time you pick up your $4000 bag of toys that are all broke.

This is pretty silly. Why would the average air traveler want to pack a gun? To protect their valuables which are entrusted to airport baggage handlers?
Why does the average person pay for additional insurance when shipping valuables? Anything you can do to protect, from damage or theft, anything is a good move. Especially when talking about something valuable!

And again, whether domestic or international, there are laws against carrying guns. Take New York, Washington DC, or Chicago for example.

Absolutely! And a person obviously has to be smart enough to think about that before they act! EVERYONE that carries a weapon has the responsibility of knowing what laws apply to them, and where.

A friend of mine travels often with his fancy shotgun to trap and skeet competitions (he is nationally ranked and makes big bucks). More than once his gun missed his flight.

Yes.. things get lost. But I guarantee you that his shotgun was far more a priority to find that someone's bag of dirty underwear![/QUOTE]

Good review, but my P3 sitting on top of my newest laptop is 9" tall. That means there is no room for any padding at all. Granted there is likely not going to be any problems, but that one time you get called out for being over sized is the time you pick up your $4000 bag of toys that are all broke.
Yes, I wouldn't want to check a backpack.
The laptop will fit, just not in the overhead of regional airlines.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj