Travelling with your Drone on Commercial airlines

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be going from Syracuse to Naples shortly and will be flying with United Airlines. I am planning on bringing my P3P with me as a carry-on...

Any suggestions or stories.

Don't want to be stuck leaving it back at the airport.

Thanks

Hi all,

I will be going from Syracuse to Naples shortly and will be flying with United Airlines. I am planning on bringing my P3P with me as a carry-on...Any suggestions or stories. Don't want to be stuck leaving it back at the airport. Thanks

First, and foremost, call the airline, and check with them what their specific carry-on rules are. If you're flying more than one airline, you'll need to call each one individually. They might tell you something like, "It needs to fit when passed through blah-blah-blah." If they do that, tell them that you need to know the maximum allowed dimensions. If need be, you can explain what (ie. the drone) is in the case.

I used to have a friend who worked for (probably still works for) TSA at San Jose International Airport, and there are two things I remember her telling me about airports (in general), and TSA:
1) If you're nice (not saying "overly-friendly") towards them, they'll (typically) be nice towards you.
2) NEVER give them attitude, or question them in a negative way, as you WILL lose in the end.

Yes to what Pro said. I bought this backpack (for around $120 on Amazon) back in July for a trip to Greece. I went through at least 5 different airports during my 1.5 week trip and didn't have 1 problem or any questions asked at all. I was honestly surprised at how easy it was. I definitely suggest putting your batteries in a fireproof bag though. Safety first. (You should even have one for at home anyhow). I've read you 'should' discharge the batteries. I did that at first but after...I didn't worry about it. Also went to Vegas 2.5 weeks ago...no prob there or back on United either.

Another tip...when travelling overseas, research if that country/city has special rules about drones. Naples you should be fine...but places like Dubai or Abu Dhabi won't allow em. Good luck, safe travels...and get great shots! Peace.

Took this of the Acropolis in Athens.
25946-ece0b00d28496730727f65e28c9d6056.jpg

Reactions: Fplvert
I used a $50 backpack last week from Orange County to Seattle. They never opened the pack when I went through security scan, both ways. The printed limitations is 22 X 14 x 9" for all airlines, including United. My backpack meets that, however I know most the time it's rare anyone challenges you when you have something slightly bigger. International travel may be different. It's best to make sure you're within the written limitation to make sure. The Pelican mention above doesn't meet the new airline spec (2" too wide), even though their website claims they do.

I'm sure that flying from Syracuse to Naples in NOT a flight that a person would want to waste his carry-on option to carry a quad that is of no use during that 12 or so hour flight! Batteries will definitely have to be in a carry-on. But the P3 should be in a very sturdy ridged case to help prevent damage. Don't try to lock it, as that will only bring attention to it. Leading to more potential of TSA cutting into it for inspection.

First, and foremost, call the airline, and check with them what their specific carry-on rules are. If you're flying more than one airline, you'll need to call each one individually. They might tell you something like, "It needs to fit when passed through blah-blah-blah." If they do that, tell them that you need to know the maximum allowed dimensions. If need be, you can explain what (ie. the drone) is in the case.

I used to have a friend who worked for (probably still works for) TSA at San Jose International Airport, and there are two things I remember her telling me about airports (in general), and TSA:
1) If you're nice (not saying "overly-friendly") towards them, they'll (typically) be nice towards you.
2) NEVER give them attitude, or question them in a negative way, as you WILL lose in the end.
Solid advice, especially about different airlines. Sadly, it's also true of different airports. I have traveled extensively, and the different interpretation of rules at different airports is sometimes maddening. I expect differences when I fly internationally, but it's harder to take when the rules are so different domestically as well.

I have no problems traveling with mine. Only got pulled aside once. And the exchange was amazing.
Tsa agent: "sir, is this your bag?"
Me: "yup...I can explain, it's a dr-..."
Tsa agent: "I just need to check your drone. Sometimes a warm battery can set it off. "
Me: "wow, how'd you know it was a drone from the scanner?"
Agent:"hah, you're the third one this week. Happens all the time. "

Wtf!

Reactions: Oso
You can always check it at the gate - that way you avoid the gorillas at the regular baggage check in.

I flew last week from west coast to south east US. It was in a DJI hard shell backpack as one of my carry on bags. Zero questions or problems. I return tomorrow and expect no problems. I was told to refer to it as a 'toy helicopter' if asked.

flying to Vegas for interdrone next week. Can I carry my P3P and 3 batteries as carry on?

Yes you can use most any backpack that fits your phantom as a carry on. I used a Go Professional limited edition backpack which is right at the edge of the size limits without question or problem. I had 3 batteries in the backpack as well.

You can always check it at the gate - that way you avoid the gorillas at the regular baggage check in.

Only problem there is, you STILL can't avoid the "gorillas", as well as the thieves, who handle all the checked, in luggage. I'd NEVER check in anything of value.

Yes you can use most any backpack that fits your phantom as a carry on. I used a Go Professional limited edition backpack which is right at the edge of the size limits without question or problem. I had 3 batteries in the backpack as well.

When I ordered my P3P, I ordered the bundle with an extra battery, plus the DJI hardshell backpack. More recently, I ordered the GPC hard case, and had planned on selling the backpack. However, reading your posting has me rethinking that, as the hard case probably exceeds carry-on measurement limits. Thank you for pointing this out.

When I ordered my P3P, I ordered the bundle with an extra battery, plus the DJI hardshell backpack. More recently, I ordered the GPC hard case, and had planned on selling the backpack. However, reading your posting has me rethinking that, as the hard case probably exceeds carry-on measurement limits. Thank you for pointing this out.

The DJI hard case is about 1 inch too big in one direction. But it is rare for that to matter. I've never been questioned, and have never seen anyone else mention it either.

Only problem there is, you STILL can't avoid the "gorillas", as well as the thieves, who handle all the checked, in luggage. I'd NEVER check in anything of value.
The BEST way to check anything of value is in a hard case with locks, and toss a gun in with it. It may be handles poorly, but the hard case protects everything. And TSA cant open a case with a declared weapon without you being present.

I'm sure that flying from Syracuse to Naples in NOT a flight that a person would want to waste his carry-on option to carry a quad that is of no use during that 12 or so hour flight! Batteries will definitely have to be in a carry-on. But the P3 should be in a very sturdy ridged case to help prevent damage. Don't try to lock it, as that will only bring attention to it. Leading to more potential of TSA cutting into it for inspection.
I have room for everything I would need (minus a bathroom) for sitting on an airplane for 8+ hours. I certainly don't want my bird checked into baggage. I've seen those carts sit in the sun/rain/snow for hours.
What do you want to carry-on instead?
image.jpg

Noise canceling headphones, a book, iPod with Cinemizer dock, iphone, iPad, Sanyo w/p camera, snacks, flashlight, toothbrush and a jacket fits in pockets and completes my carry-on setup.

Check non-essential equipment. You don't have control of it!

I have room for everything I would need (minus a bathroom) for sitting on an airplane for 8+ hours. I certainly don't want my bird checked into baggage. I've seen those carts sit in the sun/rain/snow for hours.
What do you want to carry-on instead?View attachment 29572
Noise canceling headphones, a book, iPod with Cinemizer dock, iphone, iPad, Sanyo w/p camera, snacks, flashlight, toothbrush and a jacket fits in pockets and completes my carry-on setup.

Check non-essential equipment. You don't have control of it!
A laptop for starters. And I never travel without my SteelSeries H Wireless headphones

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4