Torn between tablets

Reaction score
Hello, New to the forum. Have had the Phantom now for about six months. I've been flying with the 6th gen Ipad and works really well. But I want to purchase a dedicated Ipad just for my drone instead of stealing the family one all the time. I like the speed of the new Ipad, but it is a little bulky and big. So, I've also considered getting an Ipad Mini 4. My worry with that is processor speed (A8 vs. A10 Fusion card). I also dont want to get something that is going to be outdated quickly. The mini 4 has been around for a little bit. Any thoughts?

Hello @kirkmeister and welcome to our forum.

I've got a Min2 that I use as a backup and while it performs just fine it doesn't compare to the iPAd 2017. You'll appreciate that larger real estate when you see it first hand. Also the slight more "current" technology should give you more time of use before you experience "insufficient hardware" issues.

Good luck and SAFE flights :)
Allen

Hello, New to the forum. Have had the Phantom now for about six months. I've been flying with the 6th gen Ipad and works really well. But I want to purchase a dedicated Ipad just for my drone instead of stealing the family one all the time. I like the speed of the new Ipad, but it is a little bulky and big. So, I've also considered getting an Ipad Mini 4. My worry with that is processor speed (A8 vs. A10 Fusion card). I also dont want to get something that is going to be outdated quickly. The mini 4 has been around for a little bit. Any thoughts?
Guess what. I use a first generation iPad mini, and it is very fast and DJI GO works perfectly on it! I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the iPad minis. They are the perfect size. (Just make sure you get a sunhood so you can see it outside!)

-Weston Ney

I had flown for several years with dedicated iPad mini 3 fine BUT I regretted buying one with only 16GB memory, it ran out of memory regularly with video cache & pics etc, so was not ideal. Recently bought iPad mini 4 128gb second hand - it’s perfect. Love it. In both cases I had GPS (cell) option on iPad, but it is not necessary really.

I’m a fan of my 10.5” iPad Pro. It’s rock solid, and it replaced my Air2 when the app became seemingly too much for it to smoothly handle. The weight of the 10.5” iPad Pro is just a little more than the 9.7” Air2, as the Pro is very thin. I do use a remote, tablet mount extender, but some say they can make the Pro work without it. Even if I could, it would be way too tight for my comfort zone.

Reactions: BigAl07
I’m a fan of my 10.5” iPad Pro. It’s rock solid, and it replaced my Air2 when the app became seemingly too much for it to smoothly handle. The weight of the 10.5” iPad Pro is just a little more than the 9.7” Air2, as the Pro is very thin. I do use a remote, tablet mount extender, but some say they can make the Pro work without it. Even if I could, it would be way too tight for my comfort zone.

That sounds like a great way to fly, but it must be awkward being that big holding/carrying it.

That sounds like a great way to fly, but it must be awkward being that big holding/carrying it.

Prior to purchasing the 10.5" iPad Pro, I had only flown with either my iPhone (6S) or my iPad Air2. I found the phone to be good for just a quick up and back if something caught my eye, but the Air2 was what I used most of the time due to the larger screen size. Also, I mainly fly with family and friends who like to watch over my shoulder, and the Air2 was better for this.

Eventually though, it seemed like the Air2 began struggling to process what was being demanded of it, and even a software refresh did not help. Plus, I wanted something that could edit and display 4K video with no issues, and the iPad Pro seemed like the answer. It's big enough to sit down ahead of time with others and plan a Litchi Mission, fly that mission, and then I use an App called LumaFusion to edit the video.

As far as it being awkward due to its size, it could be for those who are used to using only their phone or a Mini tablet, but for me it's not. In fact, holding the tablet and remote is the only form of exercise that I get while flying...:)...

I would personally get an android tablet with 4GB memory, quad core processor and 1080p screen at 10.1" for £80 on AliExpress. My phone has the same specs and never had any lags, crashes or slowdowns with them specs using DJI GO or litchi. Would save you a few hundreds doing that route but that's just my personal experience and opinion

Reactions: gingerbloke
Hi Guy's,
I have a couple of questions about the iPad's, I have had a iPad Mini 3 and flown with it for about a year at first it was nice but as the firmware became more advanced it began connection problems on my Phantom 4 S. Anyone use the iPad 6th Generation wi-fi & cellular version 9.7" ? it's supposed to have 2 GB of RAM and the A10 quad core processor, do you think this would work ok? Please feel free to give me some thoughts. I'm hoping this one will work Good.
Thanks Guy's
SteveP55

Thanks msinger !
I bought one and finally and got a chance to fly with it the other day, awesome tablet, flew all three DJI Birds and the DJI GO , DJI GO4 and the Litchi apps all worked beautiful..... has plenty of processing power.... Happy ! iPad 2018 6th Generation great tablet !
Take Care
SteveP55

Reactions: msinger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20