Top range

This is mine. Had full signal still on controller and screen. Only came back due to worried about the battery as it was at 60% and I needed to make sure I get back. This was done on a P3A with windsurfers
feb963ee26f33e8299206eae56574008.jpg

Attachments

• 1510537924581.png
    1510537924581.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: Rohanm
Where are yall picking up the amps at? Hobby King has a few I've been looking into, but they're not exactly "FCC acceptable" for use in the States. Hard to pass on those 2 watt puppies, mwhaha.

I'd love some product links to the tried and true amps yall are using.

This hobby is worse than a crack addiction... well i guess, never tried that crap mai'sef. Certainly every bit as expensive I'm sure. I'm well into $3000 with a P3S, Spark, and hanger full of 3d helis. Accessories, batteries and those sexy billet upgrade parts... that's where they get cha!

So I just got this drone frome my uncle, its a phantom 3 standard and the range is terrible, I can literally fly over a 10ft tree and come down on the other side and the signal will go out. Its stupid! I want to make videos with it but how can I if I can only fly it a couple hundred feet. My uncle got it up to 10,560ft going forward. I mean its just weird.

Reactions: Cellblock776
So I just got this drone frome my uncle, its a phantom 3 standard and the range is terrible, I can literally fly over a 10ft tree and come down on the other side and the signal will go out. Its stupid! I want to make videos with it but how can I if I can only fly it a couple hundred feet. My uncle got it up to 10,560ft going forward. I mean its just weird.
OK, let's hit the usual issues and see if it helps.
The first thing that jumps out is when you state that you fly over a tree and come down on the other side your signal goes out. That is expected. The P3S works on a wi-fi signal which is extremely Line of Sight and the tree and its branches and leaves are going to block the heck out of that signal. So, even if it wasn't a rule, you would still always want to keep it in Visual Line of Sight. Basically if you can't see it, because there is something in the way such as a tree or building, then it can't see the controller and will loose signal.
Also, I'm not sure how your uncle got a stock P3S out to over 10,000 feet without loss of signal. Most of us, even under best conditions, can't get past 5,000 feet without some serious mods to the controller and the bird. Maybe if he's flying from a hill top out over open water or somewhere with absolutely no interference whatsoever but it sounds unlikely. And that brings up the question of how he is able to keep a Phantom in visual sight at 10,000 feet. I loose mine easily when I get out past 1200 feet. There's no way I'm going to be able to spot it at nearly 2 miles like your Uncle claims.
Make sure that you have the antenna on your controller pointed UP so that it is vertical and pointed broadside toward the aircraft. I've seen lots of people lay the antenna out horizontally and point it at the UAV like an arrow. That is the exact opposite of how you want it.
Make sure that you are not set to Beginner Mode. This is basically a short leash that you use when you are new to flying a UAV and want to learn without going but a few feet away and not very high. Beginner Mode is basically the training wheels we have on our sUAS until we become comfortable with the controls.
Make sure that you are in FCC mode and not CE which is a limit for those who are flying in parts of Europe.
I make videos all of the time with my P3S but you have to know its limitations and yours too. Take some time, practice flying and go slow and easy. Learn the way it performs and what it can and can't do. It's a great starter sUAS but there is a lot to know.
Good luck.

Reactions: Rohanm and ghutch
I asked my uncle, he flew it over the pacific from a high building and he had a remote that had different remote.

16692 feet outwards and 33385 feet in total including the return journey - all bar 100 metres flown over water - Alfa M04 & M25 antennae plus Sunhans 2.5w 2.4ghz & 2w 5.8ghz
Screenshot_20180330-172642.png
View attachment 97172
20180402_123237.jpg
20180402_123322.jpg

The Itelite antenna mod is awesome, but make no mistake this is over OPTIMAL locations. My range is barely half of that in a city setting.
Laws in Ireland are quite restrictive - no flying permitted over built up areas

Where are yall picking up the amps at? Hobby King has a few I've been looking into, but they're not exactly "FCC acceptable" for use in the States. Hard to pass on those 2 watt puppies, mwhaha.

I'd love some product links to the tried and true amps yall are using.

This hobby is worse than a crack addiction... well i guess, never tried that crap mai'sef. Certainly every bit as expensive I'm sure. I'm well into $3000 with a P3S, Spark, and hanger full of 3d helis. Accessories, batteries and those sexy billet upgrade parts... that's where they get cha!

Sunhans boosters from Aliexpress

SUNHANS 2.5W 2.4GHz WiFi Amplifiers 802.11n/b/g Wireless LAN Indoor Signal Booster Repeater CE&FCC&ROHS-in Signal Boosters from Cellphones & Telecommunications on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Sunhans 5.8Ghz 2W 2000mW WiFi Signal Booster Wireless LAN Indoor Signal Amplifier CE&FCC&ROHS Free Shipping-in Signal Boosters from Cellphones & Telecommunications on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT