Top off a Phantom 3 Battery?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 Standard. I fully charge the controller and batteries after use.

My question is, if I'm going to use the drone within a few days to a week, should I plug everything back in and top off the batteries and controller, or is it not necessary?

Thanks!

Reactions: RodPad
Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
I have a Phantom 3 Standard. I fully charge the controller and batteries after use.

My question is, if I'm going to use the drone within a few days to a week, should I plug everything back in and top off the batteries and controller, or is it not necessary?

Thanks!

If you land with 30% or more battery charge level - then do not charge up fully until the time you want to use it again.

As previous says - set your auto-discharge time in GO .... default factory is 10days before it starts the discharge ... this is too long and is better if reduced to 2 - 3 days.

As to top off before use - YES. Even if charged day before.

How ? If the battery is 90% or higher - it will not accept charge if just plugged in ... you need to SWITCH ON the battery first - then plug in charger ... this over-rides the board and allows top-up charge.

Note : The 4 LED lights that show battery state are 25% increments with 12.5% when flashing ... therefore when all 4 are solid lit - the battery can be actually be as low as 90% and NOT full ...

You're doing everything backwards. Your after flight routine is what you should be doing prior to each flight.

Depending on the current remote controller charge level and the number of flights you need to take, you might not have to charge your remote controller each time. Fully charging it up prior to flying certainly won't hurt anything though.

This guide explains what you should be doing with your batteries after flying and/or when they are being stored:

HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Phantom batteries

A lot of pilots have experienced nasty surprises after taking off with less than fully charged (90%+) batteries. That’s one thing I DON’T jack around with.

I’ve found plenty of other ways to crash a drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl