Took the lid off my bird

Reaction score
I been looking into why ive got these stress cracks so took the lid off is there anything I should do why I am at this stage I’m waiting for a new shell so why not I’m open to suggestions
IMG_2730.jpg

I’m talking about servicing or not sure could I change the landing gear for the pro one give it a little better signal on the video side as that’s always crap

The antennas in the pro landing gear use lightbridge tech, while the standard uses wifi. They aren't compatible, unfortunately. Take your time changing the shell! Really easy to forget something or place something in a bad spot.

Reactions: David Bruce Kerr
Do a good visual inspection, connections, wires, board, any worn places. Maybe, motor mount plates as extra protection? Possibly a little epoxy filler to strengthen up the arms. It's all a judgment call.

IMG_1531073778.148226.jpg
IMG_1531073801.006483.jpg

Thank you for your reply mate and Not sure if I can put a little ptfe spray on the roller bearings on the motors too

The antennas in the pro landing gear use lightbridge tech, while the standard uses wifi. They aren't compatible, unfortunately. Take your time changing the shell! Really easy to forget something or place something in a bad spot.
Anatomical Question of P3...?..those wires antenna that going thru the legs are 2.4ghz video or 5.8ghz for controller?..

Reactions: G Tek Fab
And as for the cracking problems it’s got to be the combination of heat from the motor and the plastic drying out it don’t happen any where else so to be fair I’m holding hi hopes for my 2 part glue

I think there 5.8ghz as the other two go to the camera
Yip 2.4 and 5.8ghz with a compass module in the landing gear aswell,Yeh have a search on lube on motor bearings, can work opposite like a magnet if wrong stuff applied and be like valve grinding paste

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
And as for the cracking problems it’s got to be the combination of heat from the motor and the plastic drying out it don’t happen any where else so to be fair I’m holding hi hopes for my 2 part glue
Very common with the P3. I think the combination of aggressive flying and over tightened screws is often the issue. The motors don't get hot enough to do anything to the plastic and I wouldn't go spraying anything on them other than air.

It doesn’t have to be either of those things- it could be (more likely) the fact that polystyrene, while probably favoured by DJI as being light weight and dirt cheap, isn’t particularly strong and the tooling for the mould was poorly engineered.

Just what did you do to prepare the plastic before....allowing the epoxy to be poured in for it to cure..and what kind of epoxy did you use ?

Gorilla glue and mixed it up and let it set putting it around the outer edges making sure it stayed there my thinking it should add a bit more strength I’ve all so done the front too fingers crossed again

I repaired mine by using CA (Superglue) topped with baking soda! It makes an incredibly strong bond and is like a brick. Search for superglue/baking soda and you’ll find tons of how to’s on it.

On the P3P landing gear change out. There is a long, multipage thread on how-to-do it on this forum. Search for Birdside mods. The Pro antennas are both 2.4 and 5.8 rated and will interchange quite readily. It matters not what signal, either Lightbridge or std Wi-Fi goes through them. It’s the frequency that counts. Much better signal back to controller for the video with a lot fewer drop outs of video signal. Bear in mind that it does nothing for the control signal, just the video.

Many times....its great to shoot a whole bunch of nice close up pictures before disassembly....Ive took pictures of in insides of computer to get it all hooked back up properly...and never had a problem....its even good to mark the male and female side of a connector......sure makes re hooking UP things easy.

I repaired mine by using CA (Superglue) topped with baking soda! It makes an incredibly strong bond and is like a brick. Search for superglue/baking soda and you’ll find tons of how to’s on it.

On the P3P landing gear change out. There is a long, multipage thread on how-to-do it on this forum. Search for Birdside mods. The Pro antennas are both 2.4 and 5.8 rated and will interchange quite readily. It matters not what signal, either Lightbridge or std Wi-Fi goes through them. It’s the frequency that counts. Much better signal back to controller for the video with a lot fewer drop outs of video signal. Bear in mind that it does nothing for the control signal, just the video.

Would the phantom se ones work please

I wonder if it would be worth incorporating some glass fibre matting into the repair/reinforcement, it would strengthen it considerably.

Last edited:
All 4 antennas in the PS Pro and Advanced landing gear are 2.4ghz fellas.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94