Took a moment today to check out Gimbal shake and ......

Reaction score
After reading some posts here I caught myself taking a time out when flying today to see about this shake or the lack thereof.
I had it hovering at about 5 feet above the ground today and took a good hard look to see if there was any shake in the gimbal and low and beyond there it was! Not very much shaking and very slight but quite noticeable and fairly constant either when I was hovering, ascending or descending.

Million dollar question is : is this standard/normal or are there folks out there that have absolutely no shaking whatsoever when flying ??

Perhaps it was always there and I just didnt take notice so any feed back would be great !

note : up to date firmware already installed , props perfectly balanced , IMU and gimbal calibration just done when uploaded the new firmware last week,never crashed and no wind when flying BUT no noticeable vibration in 4k Video when played back ( like I said- slight shaking ) BUT if this is not norma i would like to fix as it could eventually lead to shell cracking ....thank you for your replies !

I have the same issue. But I think I went looking for it like you. I don't see it in an video shot either. Curious for the answer too.

Reactions: Rod Carnochan77
I just did the update to the latest firmware 1.6.40 and did all the steps in order firmware update, RC update, IMU calibration, gimbal calibration and last but not least today compass calibration and when I took off noticed it drifting a bit and a definite shake, thought it was my props changed them with new ones still shakes, went thru all the settings and realised my VSP sensor was turned on, which is mainly for indoor flying, turned it off went out to try it, by this time it was dark outside but looks like the shake and the drift is gone yahooo, give this a try and see if it helps you out, not sure if it will but worth a try

Nope Squiddly my VSP was turned off and has been since day one....What I want to know if everyones P3 gimbal IS ROCK SOLID when hovering OR is there a constant vibration, no matter how slight , at the Gimbal ?

Last edited:
First thing to check is if the video is also shaking. If not then gimbal is doing its job.

Next why is gimbal moving? Heavy wind, unbalanced props, uneven ground with VPS on and height within 15', all calibrations done.

Low frequency vibrations are due to incorrect calibrations or VPS or winds. High frequency vibrations could be due to unbalanced props. You will never get very high frequency vibrations as mechanical structure can't vibrate that fast.

Careful study will give you the clue. Many have done FW downgrade and upgrade to resolve the issue. I really don't understand that. Does it mean SW doesn't get install correctly? And why would it result into vibrations?

When 4 motors are rotating with blades and churning air, there would be vibrations. I never looked so minutely at the gimbal as all looked ok.

First thing to check is if the video is also shaking. If not then gimbal is doing its job.

Next why is gimbal moving? Heavy wind, unbalanced props, uneven ground with VPS on and height within 15', all calibrations done.

Low frequency vibrations are due to incorrect calibrations or VPS or winds. High frequency vibrations could be due to unbalanced props. You will never get very high frequency vibrations as mechanical structure can't vibrate that fast.

Careful study will give you the clue. Many have done FW downgrade and upgrade to resolve the issue. I really don't understand that. Does it mean SW doesn't get install correctly? And why would it result into vibrations?

When 4 motors are rotating with blades and churning air, there would be vibrations.

I have all props balanced (spent a long time on this, this past week).
No video shake. Slight vibration in wind and no wind. All calibrations done per instructions here. The only thing I have not fully tried is VPS off. I turned it off to check at 6 ft over my solid concrete driveway and saw no difference. Now you say under 15 feet so I have no idea how I'm going to visually check that with VPS off and above 15 feet.

I will try again tomorrow. I even tried the gain settings mentioned on the forums the same time as the quick VPS disable.

But we are talking a slight vibration or shake in the gimbal and landing gear.

I think you are ok and worrying for no reason.

I have had this issue since the last firmware update tryed downgrading then back, nothing, just cause u didnt see it second flight dosent mean its fixed, as mine some flights with shakes like crazy other times i get lucky and its like new again but no video still looks fine and it only happens when hoovering bottom line is if you havnt updated past 1.4 stay there! for the rest of us we are all screwed till another update to fix this comes out!!!

I adjusted my gains a bit to keep the quad from sharply adjusting to anything. This helped. It shouldn't shake very much at all as long as there is no cross wind. You also may want to check for any rough or grinding motor bearings. This can also cause some vibration.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I just did the update to the latest firmware 1.6.40 and did all the steps in order firmware update, RC update, IMU calibration, gimbal calibration and last but not least today compass calibration and when I took off noticed it drifting a bit and a definite shake, thought it was my props changed them with new ones still shakes, went thru all the settings and realised my VSP sensor was turned on, which is mainly for indoor flying, turned it off went out to try it, by this time it was dark outside but looks like the shake and the drift is gone yahooo, give this a try and see if it helps you out, not sure if it will but worth a try

hey just wondering are you flying in the cold? and how long is your speed restricted for? does it go back to normal speed once it warms up or are u stuck with that speed restriction at all times?

what do you mean by speed restriction? I was flying today I think it was -10 celcius

check out the release notes thats why i havnt updated yet that and all the new no fly zones but mostly because that upgrade restricts your p3 speeds

You say you were about 5' off the ground..
Maybe the VPS had something to do with it?

Thankfully my unit is smooth when at hover.. This is something I check every so often

I noticed this gimbal vibrations on firmware 1.5 & have not updated to 1.6 yet as i am sick of these duff firmware screw ups I havent updated my ipad mini 2 to 9.0.2 or what ever the new update is

speaking of ipad updates...since i also have this vibration issue that everyone except maybe 6 people are having, i tryed going down and back up again which just wasted my time... i updated to latest app which cause me to have to update my ios if i go back to 1.4 and stay there am i going to have problems with the app since it will be updated but p3p is back to 1.4 or will the app still handle it fine? i want to try and stay at 1.4 since all we fine and well then!

i can down grade the ipad but i can only download the latest ver. of the app so it wont work with that older ios...

You say you were about 5' off the ground..
Maybe the VPS had something to do with it?

Thankfully my unit is smooth when at hover.. This is something I check every so often

still happens with VPS off..............

I noticed this gimbal vibrations on firmware 1.5 & have not updated to 1.6 yet as i am sick of these duff firmware screw ups I havent updated my ipad mini 2 to 9.0.2 or what ever the new update is

you may want to do what i am trying to get rid of the vibration

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic