toilet bowl effect after firmware upgrade to 4.02

Reaction score
My phantom 1 ran fine out of the box. Then I let it sit for a year without use. Last week I upgraded the firmware to 4.02 and tried to fly it. After lifting off it goes into a series of violent pitch and yaw maneuvers, round and round. Is this called the toilet bowl effect? I can provide video if you want...
How to fix? I've done basic and advanced calibration w no result.
I suspect maybe the stick calibration is off, but have not found usable documentation specifically on how to calibrate the sticks. My controller does not have a USB port (...not that I have found anyway).
(Other articles on toilet bowl effect point to electronic interference. The lights all look ok on the bird, so apparently it thinks the compass is ok.)

Is it stick calibration? If so, how to calibrate?
Is it something else?

Hey John,
Video would be really good, please shoot some of your bird acting weird.
It does sound like TBE, toilet bowl effect.
Try calibrating the compass.
I highly doubt your controller is the issue.

When you do an IMU calibration, it is "OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE" that the bird be level and stationary.
I don't see where you mention doing the Compass Dance after the firmware update.
Control stick calibration is a simple task performed when you are in the NAZA assistant.
Look at the links in my signature for a good way to search, and some other help.

Maybe these will help.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/sorry-to-have-to-ask-this.45325/

Hey John,
Video would be really good, please shoot some of your bird acting weird.
It does sound like TBE, toilet bowl effect.
Try calibrating the compass.
I highly doubt your controller is the issue.

When you do an IMU calibration, it is "OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE" that the bird be level and stationary.
I don't see where you mention doing the Compass Dance after the firmware update.
Control stick calibration is a simple task performed when you are in the NAZA assistant.
Look at the links in my signature for a good way to search, and some other help.

Maybe these will help.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/sorry-to-have-to-ask-this.45325/
Yes, I absolutely did do the compass dance, and everything looked normal.
Since my original mail above I've been back and forth over the calibration tasks, and tried to perform stick calibration several times.
I'm still baffled by how stick calibration works. So now when I try to fly it, everything 'seems' normal up to the point when I try to start the motors. At that point I get two flashing greens, over and over. No motor start. Two flashing greens means 'stick not at center' ?
I'm going to let my temper cool overnight, then try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Yes, I absolutely did do the compass dance, and everything looked normal.
Since my original mail above I've been back and forth over the calibration tasks, and tried to perform stick calibration several times.
I'm still baffled by how stick calibration works. So now when I try to fly it, everything 'seems' normal up to the point when I try to start the motors. At that point I get two flashing greens, over and over. No motor start. Two flashing greens means 'stick not at center' ?
I'm going to let my temper cool overnight, then try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

2 flashing green means the Phantom is receiving a control input signal from the transmitter. Any time the Phantom FC40 or P1 is operating normally and any control stick is moved, the LED will indicate that the Phantom is receiving the signal being transmitted by the controller. This is indicated by 2 flashing green lights.

So, yes, there is an issue with your controller... I think.

Here is how you calibrate the sticks:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/sorry-to-have-to-ask-this.45325/#post-418202

Looks like that fixed it.
Maybe nothing was selected...don't know what it defaults to in that case.
Regardless, I checked 'quadrotor x' per your suggestion and then took it on a 30 second flight.
Smooth as silk.
Thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj