What cause the toilet bowl effect

• Thread starter Deleted member 62848
  • Start date
Well the last time I cal-ed compass in my P2 (~3.5 yrs ago) was after replaing the Rx with a Futaba type.

I waited until I flight tested it to see what effect would be. Had some minor TBE so I re-caled and it was gone.

Just sayin’.

I saw similar effects when I added Lightbridge to another P2. Did you change antennas or cabling at the same time? That could certainly affect the compass.

Removed DJI Rx and antennas and replaced with Futaba.

Anytime you add, remove, or relocate items containing metals you’ll likely need to re-cal.

Of course there are thresholds at play but it proved out for me.

This only suggests it is an issue in some cases, not necessarily all.

That’s why I waited to test fly first.

It can be rotated - I happen to have one of my P2s open and I just checked. With the compass location in the landing gear it's hard to see how anything in the top shell could cause enough magnetic distortion to be detectable, let alone to cause the TB effect - that needs somewhere around 90° error.

I absolutely got a heavy toilet bowl effect after I mounted it the wrong way, and I guess it gets misplaced at least 90 degrees, if not 180 degrees when you mount the top cover the wrong way, in my case it was 180 degrees if I remember it correctly since the coloured stickers side was on the opposite side of which they should be (had no stickers on when that happened).

I went back to the store where I purchased it (first drone and new to the hobby when it happened in 2014), I explained the problem to the store owner, he took it into the store to have a look at it, he called me back 1 hour later and said he found the likely cause to my problems.
When I came home I mounted it back correctly and made a test flight and it immediately had no more toilet bowl effect.
And after the P2 got the toilet bowl effect I tried to calibrate the P2 a couple of times but it didn't helped anything.

Maybe it doesn´t happen every time when the top cover is mounted the wrong way but in my case at least it started the first flight after I had mounted it the wrong way, and disappeared the first flight after I had mounted it back the correct way.

I absolutely got a heavy toilet bowl effect after I mounted it the wrong way, and I guess it gets misplaced at least 90 degrees, if not 180 degrees when you mount the top cover the wrong way, in my case it was 180 degrees if I remember it correctly since the coloured stickers side was on the opposite side of which they should be (had no stickers on when that happened).

I went back to the store where I purchased it (first drone and new to the hobby when it happened in 2014), I explained the problem to the store owner, he took it into the store to have a look at it, he called me back 1 hour later and said he found the likely cause to my problems.
When I came home I mounted it back correctly and made a test flight and it immediately had no more toilet bowl effect.
And after the P2 got the toilet bowl effect I tried to calibrate the P2 a couple of times but it didn't helped anything.

Maybe it doesn´t happen every time when the top cover is mounted the wrong way but in my case at least it started the first flight after I had mounted it the wrong way, and disappeared the first flight after I had mounted it back the correct way.

Interesting - but my point was that there is not an obvious mechanism to cause problems whether it is mounted 90° or 180° off, because there is nothing in the top cover that cares about orientation. I wonder if you were seeing correlation rather than causation?

Interesting - but my point was that there is not an obvious mechanism to cause problems whether it is mounted 90° or 180° off, because there is nothing in the top cover that cares about orientation. I wonder if you were seeing correlation rather than causation?

Yes that might be? Don´t know exactly what happened on a more detailed level, I just noticed the effects of whatever was the cause.
I was pretty sure the TBE was because of the wrongly mounted top cover since it started immediately after I mounted it wrong and disappeared directly after I mounted it back correctly.

I don´t own that particular P2 anymore, but I have another old P2 unit, maybe I should try mounting the top cover the wrong way and see if anything abnormal happens?

Yes that might be? Don´t know exactly what happened on a more detailed level, I just noticed the effects of whatever was the cause.
I was pretty sure the TBE was because of the wrongly mounted top cover since it started immediately after I mounted it wrong and disappeared directly after I mounted it back correctly.

I don´t own that particular P2 anymore, but I have another old P2 unit, maybe I should try mounting the top cover the wrong way and see if anything abnormal happens?

Worth a try. I'd do the same but neither of my P2s are in flight condition right now.

Wow 71 messages,,,ok,,thanks all for replys, got real sick ,the young old heart skipped few beats to many,have to slow down in life:( but all good came home to new rc toys so was happy.
Just a message to all out there I now know what me phantom feels like to be poked proded and waken up every 30min ,please all take care , phantoms precious but so is life,chime in again soon :)

That's almost always caused by magnetic interference at the takeoff location. The first thing to do is check that the aircraft arrow on the map in DJI Go is pointing in the direction that the aircraft is actually facing. You could also try manually turning the aircraft on the ground and check that the arrow rotates appropriately.
Sar,
I've been trying to fix this crazy toilet bowl effect on my P3S for a few months now. I did notice that the arrow is pointing in the general direction, but off by maybe 30-45 degrees to the right. Should I change locations and try again?

The .dat file is in your Phantom, not the tablet.
You will have to connect the phantom to your computer and use Assistant
Does Assistant work with the Phantom 3 Standard?

Thanks in advance.
Corey

Sar,
I've been trying to fix this crazy toilet bowl effect on my P3S for a few months now. I did notice that the arrow is pointing in the general direction, but off by maybe 30-45 degrees to the right. Should I change locations and try again?

The effect in your video is very minor, and not what is generally referred to as the toilet bowl effect, which is out-of-control spiraling. The P3S doesn't have any of the advanced vision positioning capabilities of the later models, so I think that's just normal positional drift.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
The effect in your video is very minor, and not what is generally referred to as the toilet bowl effect, which is out-of-control spiraling. The P3S doesn't have any of the advanced vision positioning capabilities of the later models, so I think that's just normal positional drift.
Thank you

No, look here for instructions about retrieving the .DAT from a P3S.
Helps if I plug the cable into the correct USB port! I was plugging it into the one on the gimbal. Forgot about the one on the body. Found the files. Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4