To replace a P3s with a non dji??

Reaction score
Okay guys, so i am getting fed up with DJI telling pilots what they can and cant do with the stuff we buy from them, so if i were to sell my P3s what could i replace it with NON DJI, what would you buy that will give as good a camera and flying performance

They aren't as nice as DJI drones, but the Autel X-Star would be my second choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA and Squirrel!
No one in the industry have lighbridge or Ocusync technologies in their drones. This is why DJI is the dominant force in the industry, even though they need to put more reasources and money towards their customer service.

Many of us have tried most of the other brands (Not tried Autel yet but I would) and they just don't compare.

Unfortunately DJI is the industry leader in an all inclusive package. You could get better optics but it would cost more. You could get better flight controls (less restrictions) but it would cost more. It's pretty much impossible to get the same degree of quality, performance, and payload as a DJI product for such a small price tag. They've hit the mark in most ways except customer service and I have seen worse (Blade products)

Honestly DJI are pretty much the best bang for your buck if you're looking for an Off-The-Shelf solution. If you're up for DIY then the options are endless (seemingly).

Okay guys, so i am getting fed up with DJI telling pilots what they can and cant do with the stuff we buy from them, so if i were to sell my P3s what could i replace it with NON DJI, what would you buy that will give as good a camera and flying performance

Thank you for the replies so far, keep them coming, i have thought about doing another self build but you just can get the features with self build, and TBH i am running out of enthusiasm for building drones, i am 2/ thirds into building a TBS 500 clone and cant be bothered to finish it

Reactions: pvitale
If you want to get away from DJI, you might look at the Yuneec Typhoon H.

They aren't as nice as DJI drones, but the Autel X-Star would be my second choice.
This was my choice...and to say I am disappointed is an understatement. In fact, I am contemplating returning my X-Star in favor of my P3S.

The XSP is a fantastic drone. But it doesn't fly as nicely as the P3S. Built a whole lot better though. And times I can get the P3S to fly about the same distance. If I could take the best of both and combine them, it would be perfect. But I can't so a decision has to be made. And honestly, it isn't an easy decision. But the P3S is in the lead right now.

Reactions: Minstrelred
Starting to look like i am either stuck with DJI phantoms or try for a better self build

Reactions: Squirrel!
Well, I made the executive decision to KEEP the Autel XSP. Ultimately, with the ability to change cameras to the promised FLIR DUO R, is my deciding factor. So I have both, my P3S will be the workhorse for the time being and the XSP I will hone my flying skills with...I mean, I recommend the XSP, I really do...but don't expect it to fly like a P3.

What exactly are you disappointed in with the DJI?

Well, I made the executive decision to KEEP the Autel XSP. Ultimately, with the ability to change cameras to the promised FLIR DUO R, is my deciding factor. So I have both, my P3S will be the workhorse for the time being and the XSP I will hone my flying skills with...I mean, I recommend the XSP, I really do...but don't expect it to fly like a P3.

What exactly are you disappointed in with the DJI?
Its all the reading about flyaways, dropping out of the sky, plus just lately its the reports that DJI are putting out firmware and app updates that seem to render the craft near useless, then pilots are being told they "have to update" of craft wont fly, it seems DJI have taken an Apple approach to their products "do it our way or not at all attitude

No, no, no...don't believe all the hyperbole. I just updated the P3S to the newest version and so far have flown about 3/4 mile and no breakup of video. I fly it all over. Haven't had a DJI restriction yet (knocks on wood). I love it. And honestly, the way the world is now, certain restrictions are needed.

Like flying around an airport. I mean really, who is stupid enough to? I'll tell you...John Q. Public. The same one that flies the thing 1500' in the sky and endangers air traffic. The same one who flies 3 miles out. The whole thrill isn't getting there, it is praying it comes back. They drop out of the sky when you fly them like they weren't meant to be flown. Fly correctly and safely and these things are pretty much fool-proof. 95% of what you read ends up being user error.

No, no, no...don't believe all the hyperbole. I just updated the P3S to the newest version and so far have flown about 3/4 mile and no breakup of video. I fly it all over. Haven't had a DJI restriction yet (knocks on wood). I love it. And honestly, the way the world is now, certain restrictions are needed.

Like flying around an airport. I mean really, who is stupid enough to? I'll tell you...John Q. Public. The same one that flies the thing 1500' in the sky and endangers air traffic. The same one who flies 3 miles out. The whole thrill isn't getting there, it is praying it comes back. They drop out of the sky when you fly them like they weren't meant to be flown. Fly correctly and safely and these things are pretty much fool-proof. 95% of what you read ends up being user error.
I dont do updates, it flies well as it is, might flog it next year and get the Typhoon H Hex, but yes your right about the idiots that try to fly in wrong places and to high and too far out

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan

I agreed, have a standard as well with the latest firmware and no issues. Some people like to stretch the limit of their aircraft but that's a risky business, especially when the battery run out of juice in less than 25 minutes. Responsible pilots always fly within the law and in safe conditions.

With the Typhoon H... You are paying the price of an almost P4 Advanced but with the range of a phantom 3 standard.
We can legally only fly Line-of-Sight anyway. I have never had a disconnect or video dropout with my H. As far as the price, it comes with a built-in tablet and a second controller, which is extra cost for a Phantom.
Not trying to push Yuneec products in the Phantom forum, just offering an alternative since the OP asked.
There are many advantages to the Typhoon H but I won't get into that here. I'll be happy to share by PM if the OP or anyone else is interested.
It is definitely not as portable and the camera is not as good as the P4Pro.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I have a phantom std have all the updates put on a homemade windsurfer and 1600 meters no prob. Who needs to go further. She is rock solid and a dream to fly

I have a phantom std have all the updates put on a homemade windsurfer and 1600 meters no prob. Who needs to go further. She is rock solid and a dream to fly

Could not agreed more... satisfied at the moment with the quality of the standard.

Yep, in all honesty I love my P3S so much I bought a second one as a backup. I really don't think you could ask for much more in a sub $600 consumer drone. I've spent some extra $ on upgrades and batteries and I just fly the #$%& out of them and enjoy every minute of it. I think the Litchi app is a must have to bring out the best in the DJI lineup.

Life is blooming complicated, i had got to thinking i would sell the P3s and a few of the homebuilds to get a Typhoon h, and i now read these things can just "drop out of the sky", so i may have to eat a big ole slice of humble pie and stick with Phantoms, of to start a thread about the new P3 se

Life is blooming complicated, i had got to thinking i would sell the P3s and a few of the homebuilds to get a Typhoon h, and i now read these things can just "drop out of the sky", so i may have to eat a big ole slice of humble pie and stick with Phantoms, of to start a thread about the new P3 se
I have never trust Yuneec... There is a reason why their market share is shredding.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20