Throttle stick to bottom: will motors shut down in flight?

Reaction score
A Phantom's motors will shut down when you land if you by pull the left (throttle) stick straight down and hold it there for about 3 seconds, even with the right stick centered. That's the method I always use to stop the rotors.

What I don't know, though, is if the same action would shut the motors down when the Phantom is flying.

I don't want to find out through experimentation.

Anybody know for sure what happens if the throttle is held at minimum for 3 seconds during flight?

Re: Throttle stick to bottom: will motors shut down in fligh

Bigbells said:
A Phantom's motors will shut down when you land if you by pull the left (throttle) stick straight down and hold it there for about 3 seconds, even with the right stick centered. That's the method I always use to stop the rotors.

What I don't know, though, is if the same action would shut the motors down when the Phantom is flying.

I don't want to find out through experimentation.

Anybody know for sure what happens if the throttle is held at minimum for 3 seconds during flight?
It will shut down, so it's not recommended to do that :)

It will also shut down if you CSC while flying, so don't do those either.

ElGuano said:

Do you know where I could find it stated (other than your statement) that the motors will turn off in flight if the throttle stick is held at minimum for 3 seconds? Something written by DJI, for instance, would be nice.

The reason it's important for me to know is that the latest firmware updates for the P2 and P2 Vision limit the maximum descent speed to 3 meters per second. There are times when I'd like to bring my Vision down at that rate without risking bringing it down MUCH faster.

Bigbells said:
ElGuano said:

Do you know where I could find it stated (other than your statement) that the motors will turn off in flight if the throttle stick is held at minimum for 3 seconds? Something written by DJI, for instance, would be nice.

The reason it's important for me to know is that the latest firmware updates for the P2 and P2 Vision limit the maximum descent speed to 3 meters per second. There are times when I'd like to bring my Vision down at that rate without risking bringing it down MUCH faster.

What version of the Phantom do you have? It's in DJI's manual for the P1, I assume it's in the one for the P2 as well.

Bigbells said:
ElGuano said:

Might want to check the DJI wiki too. Wow, 3 m/s. I've been saying for months that 9443 users should limit descent rates to 2-3 m/s. Glad to know that wasn't just me pulling a number out my hat.

But I see how it could make it much more likely for people to bottom the sticks.

One way to test it... fly up to several thousand feet, bottom the left stick for 3 or more seconds. If the motors stop, just do the CSC motion before it hits the ground. :shock: ;) :twisted: :mrgreen: :p

OI Photography said:
Bigbells said:
ElGuano said:

What version of the Phantom do you have? It's in DJI's manual for the P1, I assume it's in the one for the P2 as well.

The manual mentions at least twice that minimum throttle after landing will shut off the motors. There are also cautions against executing CSC during flight. But in the 60 pages of the Vision 2 Manual, there is not one mention of minimum throttle causing the motors to shut off during flight.

I have also read the FC40 Manual without finding any such mention. I'm willing to bet that the P1 Manual is equally silent regarding my question. I am sure there is an actual answer to my specific question but no who has replied so far has known the answer. I can speculate too, but I want to know instead.

I imagine the only way to research it further is to look at a Naza m v2 documentation- whether or not there is any failsafe built into the stick position would have to be programmed in the flight controller.

So while I know you have looked at Phantom specs and docs- have you looked through the DJI Naza online stuff?

Top of page 10: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .22_en.pdf

If you have the NAZA set in intelligent mode (which I believe it is by default), it overrides the function, but if that's not enabled then holding the throttle below 10% for 3 sec will shut off the motors even in flight.

"Stop Motor: We provide two options to stop motors in the assistant software: Immediately and Intelligent.
(1) Immediately Mode: If you select this mode, in any control mode, once motors start and throttle stick is
over 10%, motors will not stop immediately only when throttle stick is back under 10% the motors will
stop. In this case, if you push the throttle stick over 10% within 5 seconds after motors stop, motors
will re-start, CSC is not needed. If you don’t push throttle stick after motors start in three seconds,
motors will stop automatically.
(2) Intelligent Mode: By using this mode, different control mode has different way of stopping motors. In
Manual Mode, only executing CSC can stop motors. In ATTI. Mode or GPS ATTI. Mode, any one of
following four cases will stop motors:
a) You don’t push throttle stick after motors start within three seconds;
b) Executing CSC;
c) Throttle stick under 10%, and after landing for more than 3 seconds.
d) If the angle of multi-rotor is over 70°, and throttle stick under 10%
"

OI Photography said:

If you have the NAZA set in intelligent mode (which I believe it is by default), it overrides the function, but if that's not enabled then holding the throttle below 10% for 3 sec will shut off the motors even in flight.

"Stop Motor: We provide two options to stop motors in the assistant software: Immediately and Intelligent.
(1) Immediately Mode: If you select this mode, in any control mode, once motors start and throttle stick is
over 10%, motors will not stop immediately only when throttle stick is back under 10% the motors will
stop. In this case, if you push the throttle stick over 10% within 5 seconds after motors stop, motors
will re-start, CSC is not needed. If you don’t push throttle stick after motors start in three seconds,
(2) Intelligent Mode: By using this mode, different control mode has different way of stopping motors. In
Manual Mode, only executing CSC can stop motors. In ATTI. Mode or GPS ATTI. Mode, any one of
b) Executing CSC;
"

So unless you've changed the setting from the default, the motors will NOT stop in flight?

Unless you do one the things listed above?

OI Photography said:

b) Executing CSC;
"
Much appreciated, OI! No, I had not read the NAZAM Quick Start Guide. I'm glad to see language which specifically talks about what happens with throttle under 10%, even though that language on occasion contradicts itself and/or is unclear. (It would be so nice if I could read and comprehend Chinese, or if DJI would have its English-language documentation written by someone more proficient in English.)

I think you're correct that the default motor stop type is the "intelligent" mode, but page 9 says that "immediate" is the default.

The NAZAM "Quick Start Guide" is 32 pages long. :lol:

Near the bottom of page 10, the following is found in a "caution" box:
"(1) If you choose the Intelligent mode, and the throttle stick is under 10%, this will trigger the landing
Procedure, in any control mode. In this judgment, pitch, roll and yaw controls are denied except
the throttle, but multi-rotor will still auto level.
(2) In any control mode, DO NOT pull throttle stick under 10% during normal flight without any
reason."

I'm going to take the chance of running the following experiment: I'm going to put my P2 Vision about 150 feet up in GPS control mode, and bring it down by holding the throttle stick at minimum (with the motor stop mode in "intelligent" configuration.) If the NAZAM Quick Start Guide is correct, this should result in the triggering of the "landing Procedure" that is mentioned in (1) above.

Cannot wait to hear the results of your experiment! :geek:

Bigbells said:
OI Photography said:

b) Executing CSC;
"
Much appreciated, OI! No, I had not read the NAZAM Quick Start Guide. I'm glad to see language which specifically talks about what happens with throttle under 10%, even though that language on occasion contradicts itself and/or is unclear. (It would be so nice if I could read and comprehend Chinese, or if DJI would have its English-language documentation written by someone more proficient in English.)

I think you're correct that the default motor stop type is the "intelligent" mode, but page 9 says that "immediate" is the default.

The NAZAM "Quick Start Guide" is 32 pages long. :lol:

Near the bottom of page 10, the following is found in a "caution" box:
"(1) If you choose the Intelligent mode, and the throttle stick is under 10%, this will trigger the landing
Procedure, in any control mode. In this judgment, pitch, roll and yaw controls are denied except
the throttle, but multi-rotor will still auto level.
(2) In any control mode, DO NOT pull throttle stick under 10% during normal flight without any
reason."

I'm going to take the chance of running the following experiment: I'm going to put my P2 Vision about 150 feet up in GPS control mode, and bring it down by holding the throttle stick at minimum (with the motor stop mode in "intelligent" configuration.) If the NAZAM Quick Start Guide is correct, this should result in the triggering of the "landing Procedure" that is mentioned in (1) above.

I have done this many times when I was first learning to fly. I didn't realise it would turn off the motors (on any other quad it would have, so pretty happy it was a naza i done it on before I knew)

Bigbells said:

davemcm said:
I have done this many times when I was first learning to fly. I didn't realise it would turn off the motors (on any other quad it would have, so pretty happy it was a naza i done it on before I knew)
So: what happened when you held the throttle at minimum during flight? Did your quad go into a landing mode that disregarded any remote control input except for throttle? Or instead did you still have control over forward/back, left/right, and turning of the nose?

Bigbells said:
Bigbells said:

davemcm said:
So: what happened when you held the throttle at minimum during flight? Did your quad go into a landing mode that disregarded any remote control input except for throttle?

No, it responded as normally, descending while pitching, rolling and yawing whenever the sticks were moved, however it did look like a couple of times it jerked back to level and ignored all inputs like RTH was activated, however control was regained almost instantaneously (probably wouldn't even notice unless flying fpv with fixed camera, you can see the jolts)

This is what happens when you turn the motors off in flight http://www.jimandsusan.com/crash.html. I had some sort of interference and had no control over throttles. I thought it was going to fly away so I moved the sticks all the way down and left. I almost got it restarted before the crash. This is an original phantom. The only thing that broke was the gopro mount.

jimandsue60 said:
This is what happens when you turn the motors off in flight http://www.jimandsusan.com/crash.html. I had some sort of interference and had no control over throttles. I thought it was going to fly away so I moved the sticks all the way down and left. I almost got it restarted before the crash. This is an original phantom. The only thing that broke was the gopro mount.
The question is not what happens when the motors are turned off in flight (nothing particularly good). The question is not whether a Combination Stick Command (CSC) turns off the motors (it does, whether the craft is flying or stationary).

The question is whether minimum throttle turns off the motors in flight.

Bigbells said:

In intelligent cut off mode on my phantom 1.1.1 it doesn't.

davemcm said:
Bigbells said:

The question is also whether the Phantom still responds to remote control input other than throttle, once the throttle has been held at the minimum level for 3-5 seconds with the Phantom in flight in Intelligent motor cut-off mode. I'm still hoping you can tell us.

Bigbells said:
davemcm said:
Bigbells said:

The question is also whether the Phantom still responds to remote control input other than throttle, once the throttle has been held at the minimum level for 3-5 seconds with the Phantom in flight in Intelligent motor cut-off mode. I'm still hoping you can tell us.

If you read up a few posts (#15) I already have, you must have missed it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl