Three-bladed rotors

More blades equal less efficiency.

The reason for adding more blades is a matter disc diameter requirements for a given application.
Such as ground, fuselage or multi-engine clearance or to be able to deliver the power an engine/motor can produce given the aforementioned design constraints.

As far as your drone there is no need for them other than what some feel is a cool look which is only noticeable when static.

DJI has tuned the propulsion system (props, motors, ESC, firmware) for optimum performance.

Last edited:
Plus : The real advantage is the money that the maker of the product pockets and smiles all the way to the bank to deposit it.

Just to add ...

Our Multi-Rotor machines work by balancing thrust against weight. Once that's achieved - then the forward / backward etc.. flight is achieved by varying one or more motors thrust.

This is unlike a conventional flying aeroplane that uses forward motion and its wing to lift ... the forward motion is either by gravity (Glider) or by motor / prop combo. Using different props can increase or decrease flight time by that change in thrust vs drag.

But our machines in balancing thrust / weight will adjust the motors rpm to achieve same thrust when you change prop design. But it is still same overall power demand - so no benefit at all. In fact you could result in reduced results.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Likewise (to add), nearly all reports of those who have tried 3-blades report instability and erratic flight.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Do not use aftermarket props no matter how much you'll save in doing so as you will have flight problems. DJI OEM props are 9443 0r 9450 and you cannot mix them. B&H still carries the 9450 props for $9.52 per set of 4.

Reactions: N017RW
Thanks Jason. The manual calls for 9443 and 9443R.

The 9450s are a bonafide replacement.

In case you are not aware the meaning of 9443/9450 is:

94 means 9.4 inch diameter, the 43/50 means the pitch or distance (also in inches) the prop would move if rotated once in a solid medium, i.e. 4.3 inches vs. 5.0 inches.

Is there any advantage to using a three-bladed propeller?
I know which props you are talking about... I bought 2 full sets (8 total). I was working on rebuilding an off brand GPS drone with brushless motors and was going to custom fit those props on it. While I was slowly rebuilding that drone I got my hands on a P1 that has seen better days. So I ordered a second set since the first set would no longer be of use. It took so long for those props to show up I also got my hands on a P2. About 2 days after I got the P2 those props showed up. I slapped all 4 on the P2 and it looked like everything was running smoothly until after I gave it some power... it was responding like normal it was moving a little slower at first and then suddenly it bolted like a bullet and it was not responding like normal... the motors were working harder... the flight wasn't smooth at all it was choppy... the suddenly it happened... it dropped right out of the sky about a block and a half away from where I launched... I had seen the area where it crashed and prayed it didn't do any damage to anyone or anything... I get down to it and thank god no one was hurt and no property damage... just the Gimbal came off... so after my heart attack was over and I returned back to my place I took the same 4 props and slapped them on the P1 just to see if they were the problem... oh yeah they were... same exact thing happened to the P1 and it almost crashed in the same spot as the P2...
Moral of the story... Carbon fiber props might seem pretty kickass but they don't bend like the ones DJI make which will cause a ton of problems... I learned the hard way...
1550907782607~2.jpeg

Have not had a problem with mine.
Wow this old thread but how does it fly and hover,,is it ok,,I like the look of triples but never brought any to compare myself,,flight time same,more or less rpm to fly,,noisy or the same tune

Wow this old thread but how does it fly and hover,,is it ok,,I like the look of triples but never brought any to compare myself,,flight time same,more or less rpm to fly,,noisy or the same tune
Much better response on take off

Attachments

• 3EA0F4BA-8BD1-48A2-AEC0-AD2D65D7FBAB.jpeg
    3EA0F4BA-8BD1-48A2-AEC0-AD2D65D7FBAB.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 150

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member