This is why we can't have nice things - Drone nearly hits passenger plane landing in New Zealand

I'm not alarmed about anything and it did sound as you are predicting that the r/c aircraft hobby is going away (and did so again).
I have my feelings towards those who come on here and assert the 'appeal to authority' argument, i.e. You know something we don't, which is in fact true of all of us but using it in an argument is fallacious.

So go ahead and tell us what's about to 'come down', please.

Their is apparently nothing I can tell you that you don’t already know, sorry. If you think nothing is going to happen in the near future to strangle this hobby than i will respectfully disagree with you sir. See, “respectfully” disagree. Based on what I’ve seen, heard, discussed with other pilots and people I personally know in the FAA, watched on YouTube and read right here. That answer your question? So is your screen name a registered US aircraft ?

Reactions: DavidN747
Of course I know about the aircraft registry. Your N number is not in it that’s why I’m asking. Jeez.

Of course I know about the aircraft registry. Your N number is not in it that’s why I’m asking. Jeez.

I am disappointed our conversation turned a bit 'testy'.

It pushed two of my 'buttons'... 1) all r/c aircraft are going to be banned [or similar], 2) folks insinuating they have exclusive knowledge of something and don't satisfactorily elaborate when asked. For this I take responsibility.

The 'N' number is fictitious and was put on my first r/c aircraft in 1979. Since all my aircraft now display the requisite UAS reg. # I no longer have it displayed on the ones I still fly.

Cheers!

I would not let you take responsibility on your own sir. I shall take my share also and be more clear and cautious when posting. I also know we are on the same side of this issue, no doubt. I respect you, your time and your help on these forums and will continue to do so. I also apologize if I came off wrong to you in a way, not my intent I promise. And honestly was just curious about N number because occasionally the database is incorrect. Thanks for your help in the past, and hopefully still the future. Definitely appreciate your last reply.

Reactions: N017RW
I stay out of known air traffic corridors and don't fly anywhere near airports and I still find myself having to worry about manned aircraft. Just today I was flying over my neighborhood. Nothing crazy. Just slow, lazy passes at no more than 300'agl, usually much lower, when out of nowhere a single engine plane doing "Pipeline Inspection" based on that being printed under his wings flew right through the area I was flying. I did a rapid decent and turn to get clear of him but he was well below 300'. He was followed a few seconds later by a helicopter flying just as low but off to my right about 100 yards. I didn't get the plane or the helicopter on video when this occurred but when the helo returned a few minutes later I had the video recording. And I was running FlightRadar24 on an app on my phone which was sitting next to me which didn't show either of these aircraft.
That's what aggravates me. I can be flying low, within VLOS and following every rule and regulation the FAA throws at us and suddenly I have to duck out of the way of manned aircraft who pop up with little to no warning. I am doing everything right and still have to worry about some general aviation plane buzzing just above treetop level and nearly hitting my Phantom? Good Grief!!! Frankly, around here I'd be safer flying above 500'. Let the manned birds have the lower levels.

When you're PIC, no matter what you're flying, ya gotta keep you head on a swivel. You did the right thing spotting and yielding.....

Reactions: Cellblock776
I stay out of known air traffic corridors and don't fly anywhere near airports and I still find myself having to worry about manned aircraft. Just today I was flying over my neighborhood. Nothing crazy. Just slow, lazy passes at no more than 300'agl, usually much lower, when out of nowhere a single engine plane doing "Pipeline Inspection" based on that being printed under his wings flew right through the area I was flying. I did a rapid decent and turn to get clear of him but he was well below 300'. He was followed a few seconds later by a helicopter flying just as low but off to my right about 100 yards. I didn't get the plane or the helicopter on video when this occurred but when the helo returned a few minutes later I had the video recording. And I was running FlightRadar24 on an app on my phone which was sitting next to me which didn't show either of these aircraft.
That's what aggravates me. I can be flying low, within VLOS and following every rule and regulation the FAA throws at us and suddenly I have to duck out of the way of manned aircraft who pop up with little to no warning. I am doing everything right and still have to worry about some general aviation plane buzzing just above treetop level and nearly hitting my Phantom? Good Grief!!! Frankly, around here I'd be safer flying above 500'. Let the manned birds have the lower levels.

Yes, as a UAS operator you are a second-class citizen compared to manned aircraft. Nothing new there.

Yes what a wobble, another one who makes us all look bad for owning a drone,hope he reads phantom pilots and feels like xxxxxxxxx.we have been very lucky here in NZ but now talk of compulsory registration,I not mind should already be in place so they can find whoever breach the rules,also talk at the moment of installing some silly radar to pic up smaller signature craft such as uavs ,waste of time ??,if app was working right they should not be able to fly into these airspace, isn't that why we have nfzs ,anyway nerds like this put me off flying,my 2 cents from Wellington, might go Auckland and find this weiner.,,,other thing guy mention on tv is a map showing all drones in the air ,not sure if already about or in the making ,did mention airshare so mayby they in on it,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jerryatric
Yes what a wobble, another one who makes us all look bad for owning a drone,hope he reads phantom pilots and feels like xxxxxxxxx.we have been very lucky here in NZ but now talk of compulsory registration,I not mind should already be in place so they can find whoever breach the rules,also talk at the moment of installing some silly radar to pic up smaller signature craft such as uavs ,waste of time ??,if app was working right they should not be able to fly into these airspace, isn't that why we have nfzs ,anyway nerds like this put me off flying,my 2 cents from Wellington, might go Auckland and find this weiner.,,,other thing guy mention on tv is a map showing all drones in the air ,not sure if already about or in the making ,did mention airshare so mayby they in on it,
You are assuming that they are flying a DJI model with the DJI Go app and have all of the NFZs updated and activated. For all we know, if this really was a privately owned and operated sUAS, it may have been a custom home built model or any of the many non-DJI UAVs available on the open market. Some DJI users may be unable to fly there but everyone else is able to take off and fly with no software leashes to prevent them from doing so.

You are assuming that they are flying a DJI model with the DJI Go app and have all of the NFZs updated and activated. For all we know, if this really was a privately owned and operated sUAS, it may have been a custom home built model or any of the many non-DJI UAVs available on the open market. Some DJI users may be unable to fly there but everyone else is able to take off and fly with no software leashes to prevent them from doing so.
Yip very good point and yes did not think about other brands (dam)

No offense taken. I am a 24 year Army Vet with around 3000 + hours in mostly UH60’s and King Air 90’s and 200’s. Near misses with anything from other aircraft to everything. Only once with an RC airplane. I guess my point is the sky isn’t as big as it use to be so something has to give. I’m afraid manned aircraft will win the battle of the sky’s because drone pilots for the most part (not all) lack discipline because they didn’t have to earn the title of “Pilot” and because of that lack of discipline I think you will see the FAA shrink the number of drones in the sky by making it a much more difficult process to obtain the title of pilot. Only the most self disciplined will survive the testing. Just my opinion .

As soon as someone mentions a 'drone' close to an aircraft they all go hyper hysterical and start a war of words and wisdom. Seems no one calls out the pilot and asks for definitive proof it was a 'drone'! There is no proof it was a 'drone' no proof from the pilot, crew or passengers. Not even from airport ground staff. More pilots have been grounded this year because of being unfit to fly through alcohol consumption than reported 'drone' near misses the whole of last year, and there was definitive proof in those cases, just not as dramatic as "near miss by drone on aircraft carrying 170 passengers". Non of us fly that close to other aircraft because we know better, have a great understanding of air safety and take all precautions to avoid this sort of confruntations. Yes there are exceptions but so small an exception that pilots make **** up becasue they were not 100% concentrating? You can count the number of law enforcement v flyers too close to airports on one hand. I put it down to the pilot being a drama queen after a seagull got too close!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl