This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

P3 Standard: Went out to 2500 m or about 7500 feet with the latest Magic Power mod, video link set to 27 dBm, DIY Windsurfer on the remote control. Video got choppy after 2000 m, controls were fine but the signal was very directional. Just a few degrees off and I'd lose remote signal completely. I'm wondering if most people use tripods to hold the controller for distance runs because it's so easy to lose signal.

Last edited:
P3 Standard: Went out to 2500 m or about 7500 feet with the latest Magic Power mod, video link set to 27 dBm, DIY Windsurfer on the remote control. Video got choppy after 2000 m, controls were fine but the signal was very directional. Just a few degrees off and I'd lose remote signal completely. I'm wondering if most people use tripods to hold the controller for distance runs because it's so easy to lose signal.
I just use a neck strap to help hold it in place. But than again I'm not in the same league as DB as my max is only 5038 meters (16,529').
Edit: New record 7084 meters (23,241').

Last edited:
Reactions: Kmb
I just use a neck strap to help hold it in place. But than again I'm not in the same league as DB as my max is only 5038 meters (16,529').
William stop by your local Goodwill and look for a tripod. As that will help you. Db's been using them a while I've used them, works great.

William stop by your local Goodwill and look for a tripod. As that will help you. Db's been using them a while I've used them, works great.
Anyone know of a slick way to attach to a tripod? For us guys not running a FPVLR type setup..

Anyone know of a slick way to attach to a tripod? For us guys not running a FPVLR type setup..
get in contact with Procharged97 He made a board ( plate) that would screw on to the tripod and then you can lock in your controller to it by way of the chrome loop. Worked great and you can detach the controller if you need to.

Reactions: k9time
Fantastic thread! Read all 55 pages from the begining! DB, please report back to this page. I'm using just the dbs mod on my P3S. Got out 2.5 miles. Took you advice to aim at the horizon and slowly gain altitude. What you recommend for 1 mile, 2 mile out for altitude straight line of sight? How do you mount a tripod to the rc? I'm using the Icarus app to inprove video 2.4g.

get in contact with Procharged97 He made a board ( plate) that would screw on to the tripod and then you can lock in your controller to it by way of the chrome loop. Worked great and you can detach the controller if you need to.
He's got to get a new computer before he can print some out. Was building the others by hand and was taking forever..

Fantastic thread! Read all 55 pages from the begining! DB, please report back to this page. I'm using just the dbs mod on my P3S. Got out 2.5 miles. Took you advice to aim at the horizon and slowly gain altitude. What you recommend for 1 mile, 2 mile out for altitude straight line of sight? How do you mount a tripod to the rc? I'm using the Icarus app to inprove video 2.4g.

'Sup kmb? 2 miles dbs no boosters sounds like you got a good path! Does yer good path run out at 10000'?
That's good range for the unboosted p3S stock/dbs setup. Yep keep that panel pointed just above the horizontal (barely) then do 100' go til you see a dip in bars or till you just know /feels like it's time to go up more and do 50' increments. With it pointed at the horizon in a good clear path, you only got to go as high as you need to, if you go higher right off the bat it's hard to aim at that.
Hit Procharged 97 up, ask him if he'll print you an FPVLR controller mount and see if he'll add a nutsert for your tripod bolt. Glad you enjoyed the thread it's a good one

It is all farm land 10 miles out. My furthest flight was 13,760 feet. 2.6 miles! I am using the Icarus android app to set my wifi video channel. Channel 9 works for me. Even though I am in FCC mode, my video downlink seems stronger. Gotta qusetion. DJI go app made RTH start with low battery warning when I was out 13760 feet. Can I over ride that RTH? Thinking I could gone out another 2000 feet and make it back with 30 to 20% battery.

It is all farm land 10 miles out. My furthest flight was 13,760 feet. 2.6 miles! I am using the Icarus android app to set my wifi video channel. Channel 9 works for me. Even though I am in FCC mode, my video downlink seems stronger. Gotta qusetion. DJI go app made RTH start with low battery warning when I was out 13760 feet. Can I over ride that RTH? Thinking I could gone out another 2000 feet and make it back with 30 to 20% battery.
I over-ride it myself sometime, mostly based on wind strength and direction. The FW is a bit overly conservative on the Smart RTH, rightly so. I use this method if going out and back in one straight line, no wind. Starting with 100% I don't let it get lower than 55% before returning home. That's using 45% getting out, leaving me another 45% to get back. So in theory should have 10% at the home point. Now if there's a head wind going out, that perfect because the wind will be at your back on the way home. But if there's a tail wind going out, be very careful with that battery % when making the decision to over-ride that message.

Last edited:

I've tried all those different booster apps, I honestly think it's mostly in my head if they give me anything promising, some of them, through testing, I realized even though I thought they was better they actually wasn't. It's all about equipment, location, aiming, location, location, aiming!
It gives you the option to cancel when you're in smart RTH mode. I keep it on just to give me an idea, but it seems like it always shows up at the exact same point in my flight every time and it's way before I'm willing to turn around! Once you start flying with battery mods, and then go back to flying stock battery every now and again you realize just how finicky only relying on the stock battery is. I would encourage everyone even if they're just flying around to take a picture, to use even the most modest sized externals.
When you're just using the stock battery alone it's just too nerve-racking and unpredictable. Also, it never makes sense to fly out with a push from the wind and have to fight it on the way back,the last half of the voltage of your battery drains quicker than the first half when it's topped off. Add fighting the wind to that, and it puts even more strain, things can go downhill real fast, especially only relying on the single DJI stock battery

Hello guys,from Greece !
I just finished,my vacations with a lot of fun with my P3S...
With the argtek mod & FCC hack,my longest RTH distance was ~650meters,in a area with 1 or 2 villages only...

But yesterday i tried to fly it from my house on the city,and i got lost signal on about 35 meters high and 50 meters distance ! I didn't try to push for RTH ,just landed my bird back...(video was good) very disappointed,so now I may want to try the dbs mod...

A question:
the dbs mod screws on easy on argtek connectors ,right ?

I know this thread is several months old. But wow I cant thank enough all those that contributed to this appreciated wealth of knowledge. People are very impressed on the FB community since I have informed them about this. Many people like myself feel suffocated by the P3Standard's distance limitations and want more. The amount of time saved by reading this thread by the brave experimenters is immeasurable. I eagerly await my shipments of my parts to boost my signal and finally be able to properly explore the heavens! As I have happily discovered, many share in this passion. This thread has moved this pursuit far forward. Regards, Respect and Gratitude!

After reading all these responses,I've learned a lot and since I'm not a tech guy at all,got lost in all of the equipment,numbers,names etc. Anyway,my question is: If i want to upgrade my P3S's flying range and live feed,what do I do? Do I buy DBS,ArgTek,batter mods,antennas? Please help me out,kinda lost in all of this

After reading all these responses,I've learned a lot and since I'm not a tech guy at all,got lost in all of the equipment,numbers,names etc. Anyway,my question is: If i want to upgrade my P3S's flying range and live feed,what do I do? Do I buy DBS,ArgTek,batter mods,antennas? Please help me out,kinda lost in all of this
Don't fly out of line of sight and save a bundle of cash by not buying range extenders that are worthless if you keep the drone in line of sight. ;)

Reactions: Astrix
Given that you aren't tech guy, I would highly recommend upgrading your P3S to the Mavic 2 Zoom. Upgrading a dinosaur like the P3S for flying range and live feed is a real waste of money, when DJI already offers a realistic 5 mile range out of the box on the M2, which already exceeds the capacity of the battery. With the 2x optical zoom, your effective range is twice the 5 miles in terms of image size! The quiet props and very portable size will allow you to fly "under the radar" from afar, and walk away surreptitiously after, with the foldable drone easily concealed in a large jacket pocket! ;)

Given that you aren't tech guy, I would highly recommend upgrading your P3S to the Mavic 2 Zoom. Upgrading a dinosaur like the P3S for flying range and live feed is a real waste of money, when DJI already offers a realistic 5 mile range out of the box on the M2, which already exceeds the capacity of the battery. With the 2x optical zoom, your effective range is twice the 5 miles in terms of image size! The quiet props and very portable size will allow you to fly "under the radar" from afar, and walk away surreptitiously after, with the foldable drone easily concealed in a large jacket pocket! ;)
Thanks a lot,I appreciate your answer,I will most likely in the future get a new drone,but for now since I just got a PS3 I'm just looking for ways to upgrade it

Thanks a lot,I appreciate your answer,I will most likely in the future get a new drone,but for now since I just got a PS3 I'm just looking for ways to upgrade it
Return it or sell it. It's a dinosaur. Given that it does not meet your needs, don't throw good money after bad on an outdated aircraft, trying to "upgrade it" as the FW and the app for it have not been updated in forever. P3S is like four decades ago in human years!

I think every single upgrade option has been recorded in this thread, Ive tested the most conventional and unconventional ideas for the range of the P3S and recorded them in this thread, I have to agree with the always respected and veteran gadgetguy on this one. Even though the P3 standard is proven to be a 10 mile machine, the money you spent to get that distance or even half that distance is better placed on upgrading to at least a used Mavic pro which I've taken 10 miles with stock remote control. Something to think about man

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4