thinking of getting new phone

Reaction score
Hello all I am just thinking of getting a new cell phone. and it would be the apple I phone 7 plus, I was wondering if that would be a good phone for my Phantom 3 standard and would that be a good fit. is there anyone out there that has this phone. and do they like it and does it work well with the DJI go app, I just want to be sure and see who else likes this phone. and if it would be good for my phantom 3 standard, thanks for any advice.

Plenty of people out there that will claim an Apple product works a bit better with DJI than Android.
Check through the search feature for several threads on the subject.

As an Android user/lover when it comes to using DJI apps Apple is the best way to go. Hate to admit it but it just works the best. An iPhone 7 series should work great.

Plenty of people out there that will claim an Apple product works a bit better with DJI than Android.
Plenty of people claim all kinds of things, but that doesn't mean they are correct.
As an Android user/lover when it comes to using DJI apps Apple is the best way to go. Hate to admit it but it just works the best.
Despite the number of times this myth gets repeated. it's just not true.
Because people keep posting like this keeps the myth alive.

Apple or Android are equal best.
Use a phone or tablet without a fast processor and enough RAM and the experience is disappointing, regardless of the operating system used.
And the app runs just fine on a good phone or tablet of either type too.
Use whichever you like, because it makes no difference.

Plenty of people claim all kinds of things, but that doesn't mean they are correct.

Despite the number of times this myth gets repeated. it's just not true.
Because people keep posting like this keeps the myth alive.

Apple or Android are equal best.
Use a phone or tablet without a fast processor and enough RAM and the experience is disappointing, regardless of the operating system used.
And the app runs just fine on a good phone or tablet of either type too.
Use whichever you like, because it makes no difference.

well I’m speaking from my experience and just passing it along. I’ve used a galaxy s8 plus, a galaxy s10 and a galaxy s20. My iPad mini 5 gives a much better experience. There seems to be less lag and the video quality during replay on the phone is never pixelated like it always is on all my androids. For the longest time I was thinking something was wrong with my camera. Then I tried my kid’s iPhone. Then bought an iPad mini. No issues since. Again, this is just my experience. You’ll find equal numbers of opinions stating otherwise. Play with both and see for yourself.

Reactions: jimlips
well I’m speaking from my experience and just passing it along. I’ve used a galaxy s8 plus, a galaxy s10 and a galaxy s20. My iPad mini 5 gives a much better experience. There seems to be less lag and the video quality during replay on the phone is never pixelated like it always is on all my androids. For the longest time I was thinking something was wrong with my camera. Then I tried my kid’s iPhone. Then bought an iPad mini. No issues since. Again, this is just my experience. You’ll find equal numbers of opinions stating otherwise. Play with both and see for yourself.

OH and one more thing... whatever you go with I recommend you use it just for flying. Getting calls and notifications mid flight is the worst.

well I’m speaking from my experience and just passing it along. I’ve used a galaxy s8 plus, a galaxy s10 and a galaxy s20. My iPad mini 5 gives a much better experience.
There seems to be less lag and the video quality during replay on the phone is never pixelated like it always is on all my androids.

That doesn't prove much except that you didn't get good results from a couple of Samsung phones.
Since there are a high number of users reporting they all work very well, there's a good chance that you didn't configure yours properly.
They probably would have run perfectly well if you ran through these steps:

Apple or Android can both work equally well running the DJI Go app.
The popular myth that Apple runs DJI Go 4 better is not true.

For those Android users who experience problems, I find many people are buying subpar devices and not configuring them properly to get the best performance out of them.

That doesn't prove much except that you didn't get good results from a couple of Samsung phones.
Since there are a high number of users reporting they all work very well, there's a good chance that you didn't configure yours properly.
They probably would have run perfectly well if you ran through these steps:

Apple or Android can both work equally well running the DJI Go app.
The popular myth that Apple runs DJI Go 4 better is not true.
So you're saying Android works good ONLY if you set it up right, and it's equipped right, but with Iphones no extra work is needed for setup, and all iPhones work fine. Is that correct?

I think the issues with Android that would worry me is you have a dozen vendors, all of which can use a difference CPU architecture that DJI may not have tested. There are over one hundred Android phone models, and some may not work due to specs that may not be adequate in performance. You must make sure the Android model you're buying is tested and recommended by DJI. With iPhone, there is no worry the specs are adequate, they all work, no special setup.

Please correct me if this isn't accurate.

I'm in the camp with @ron-ep. I'm an Android lover too, they just work better for me as a phone. My experience (albeit 4yrs ago) I messed around with 3 different Android tablets for days using all the forum recommendations for settings with developer mode, among other things. I really wanted it to work, but it wouldn't, likely because of CPU performance, even though the last one I bought was the highest end Samsung model. I come from a tech world, and I realize that decoding (decompressing) H.264 video and displaying on the screen in real time is a lot of work for a device. Developer debug mode, updating Play services, among other suggestions just didn't work back then.

After the 3rd Android failure, I tried my wife's iPad mini 2, and it just worked, and it worked really good with no fuss to fly my P3P, no special setup steps for the device. Load the app, launch the app, register with DJI, and batta bing, it's flying like and champ with a clear, real time video feed from the craft. I was elated after wasting days in frustration, buying and returning tablets, along with many field tests, ending with disappointment after trying everyone's suggestions. Ever since, I only use my iPad's only for flying, and watching DishNetwork video downloads when traveling by plane. I sandbox the device, disabling all OS and APP updates, preventing surprises with a change I don't need or want. But that's me. I know that others today have success with Android, and some Android phones have brighter screens, which is luring. Sure, some of them can work good. But I think if you want to be guaranteed a painless experience, IOS is the path of least resistance IMO, and you don't have to check the DJI compatibility list, they all work.

Reactions: jimlips
I fly an autel evo now but used to have a p3p and used my s9+ never had a problem. This video is even edited with my s9+.. i edited 4k video with a phone. In 60fps. It definitely depends on your phones capabilities. Now the dji app may run a little smoothwr but ive never seen a difference.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: ProBass
So you're saying Android works good ONLY if you set it up right, and it's equipped right, but with Iphones no extra work is needed for setup, and all iPhones work fine. Is that correct?
I'm saying that when people tell you that DJI works better with Apple, that is a myth.
There are plenty of Android devices that run DJI apps flawlessly.
I've flown four different devices and never had to do anything special beyond enabling developer mode.
In the last three years I've never had a glitch.
You must make sure the Android model you're buying is tested and recommended by DJI.
Please correct me if this isn't accurate.
No
DJI's list is woefully inadequate, they hardly test any new devices and rarely update the list.
I've never used any of their "approved"devices.

If you're happy flying an Apple device, that's fine.
But don't try to scare people into buying Apple devices with the myth that it's the only way to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.