Thin Black Ribbon Cable

Silverminer said:
Just FYI on what Total Control Innovations told me after I asked them what they thought. They seem like a great company. Very responsive!

"Thank you for contacting Total Control Innovations. We are sorry to hear that your Phantom 2 Vision Plus camera's black​ ribbon cable has ripped from the gimbal. Unfortunately DJI does not allow dealers to fix this part as the repair is intricate. DJI requires us, the dealer, to send in the camera and gimbal to their repair center. Unfortunately the repair service for the Phantom 2 Vision Plus is currently back logged about 4 weeks.

We have had a few customers with the same problem and here is what we recommend: If time is not a factor we recommend sending it in for repair as the cost is less than the replacement. If time is a factor and you utilize the Phantom 2 Vision Plus for your business, we recommend sending the camera and gimbal in for repair and then purchasing the camera and gimbal replacement. This way when the repaired camera and gimbal are sent back to you, you will now have a replacement camera if your were to encounter the same problem in the future.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns and we will be glad to assist you. "

I wonder what DJI charges to repair a gimbal/camera unit? I suspect they don't repair them but replace them with new. That's probably why there are no replacement units (as of this writing).

As i said earlier in this thread they fixed mine for free. I've only even read about a couple other people that have sent theirs in. I'll have it back Monday. There was a little bit of damage to the gimbal that I should be able to tell if they replaced it or fixed it.

ryanhoelzer said:
As i said earlier in this thread they fixed mine for free. I've only even read about a couple other people that have sent theirs in. I'll have it back Monday. There was a little bit of damage to the gimbal that I should be able to tell if they replaced it or fixed it.

I'm hoping.

kjopc said:
Silverminer said:
Just FYI on what Total Control Innovations told me after I asked them what they thought. They seem like a great company. Very responsive!

"Thank you for contacting Total Control Innovations. We are sorry to hear that your Phantom 2 Vision Plus camera's black​ ribbon cable has ripped from the gimbal. Unfortunately DJI does not allow dealers to fix this part as the repair is intricate. DJI requires us, the dealer, to send in the camera and gimbal to their repair center. Unfortunately the repair service for the Phantom 2 Vision Plus is currently back logged about 4 weeks.

We have had a few customers with the same problem and here is what we recommend: If time is not a factor we recommend sending it in for repair as the cost is less than the replacement. If time is a factor and you utilize the Phantom 2 Vision Plus for your business, we recommend sending the camera and gimbal in for repair and then purchasing the camera and gimbal replacement. This way when the repaired camera and gimbal are sent back to you, you will now have a replacement camera if your were to encounter the same problem in the future.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns and we will be glad to assist you. "

I wonder what DJI charges to repair a gimbal/camera unit? I suspect they don't repair them but replace them with new. That's probably why there are no replacement units (as of this writing).

This website sells the camera/gimbal as a standalone purchase:
http://www.uavdirect.com/PHANTOM-2-VISI ... camgim.htm

This website sells the camera/gimbal as a standalone purchase:
http://www.uavdirect.com/PHANTOM-2-VISI ... camgim.htm

Lots of places offer them, but it seems the only ones available are pulled from complete units.

A dealer told me DJI had promised delivery of a batch some time ago but hasn't even issued the paperwork for a pending shipment.

Vendors like DJI products because they sell like hotcakes. However, they know that DJI's customer service is sorely lacking.

DJI gave me a Return Authorization today so I'm thinking they won't charge for the repair. While that would be GREAT, I was the one that crashed so I wouldn't expect them to eat it. Regardless, I was impressed with how they are at least making an attempt to get me fixed up. Yes, it will probably take about 4 weeks, but I'd say they seem to be doing their best. With that, I went ahead and ordered a second P2V+ so I won't have to wait for the other one to come back (now I'll have 6 batteries!) This stupid hobby is like crack cocaine!

Why would they make them more robust? They're getting their pound , no ton, of flesh now. Why give the suckers a break.

Has anyone actually tried to install the cable? I've heard it's pretty intricate work and even the dealers aren't set up to install them.

Silverminer said:
Has anyone actually tried to install the cable? I've heard it's pretty intricate work and even the dealers aren't set up to install them.

Hero of the hour is Mr Tigelaar.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22344&p=213699&hilit=ribbon+cable#p213635
These are FFC (flex cables), same found in mobile phones, laptops and small electronic devices. They are usually held with a clip and all you need to do is flip up to release and close to lock. There could be a possibility that they may have some adhesion. DJI uses white silicon to secure the cabling plugs in the phantom.

The install looks easy provided you make clear notes on how to reassemble.
I will be doing 2 when the ribbon arrives and hopefully upload a vid.

A lot of H3-3D users complain about the ribbon as they have to carefully unplug every time they need to remove the go pro and prefer using the H3-2D cable instead. I think DJI should revise this in the vision+ and sacrifice the weight and convert to a solid cable with an external plug.

IMO, they should of prevented this in the first place by using more persuasion (locktite? screw?) in the gimbal so the camera doesn't dislodge from the gimbal that results in the notorious gimbal-dance-rip-black-ribbon.

At last. Not that I need one but sure gives peace of mind and is going to save a heap of users spending big $.
Great find.

Clamp fell off camera while transporting in Tradecraft case for me too (Toughcase XRV+), couple of times, second time gimbal behind the camera came apart and camera was dangling by ribbon when I opened the case up.

Tradecraft says DJI engineers told them nothing in case should touch gimbal. I don't know about the gimbal, but clear to me that something needs to support the camera (like DJI factory packaging), and/or hold the clamp in place (I resorted to rubber bands to effect the latter).

DJI gave me a RMA and I sent camera/gimbal assembly back to them, I guess they are going to repair/replace. But I actually think this should be on Tradecraft, I think design of foam/support in the case is defective, and they should send out inserts we can use, or get the cases back and fix the problem.

BEST Idea I've read here that worked for the Post'er was:
Supporting the ribbon cable by taping little strips of tape on it for extra strength.

Here is an article on the two types of tape. Seems 'real' Duck Tape or Gorilla are the strongest for support and protection.

http://edcforums.com/threads/gaffers-ta ... ape.85763/

I won't fly my Quad that just arrived until I first do this.

Also, I am going to make a little support bag, like a diaper of sorts, to protect the camera between flights.
That little plastic piece just isn't enough.
Putting it on can damage the camera/gimbel way too easily.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj