There is one thing I NEED to know about the P4P

Reaction score
Did they finally fix the tilted horizon issue?

Out of the box, is it level?

If they didn't then I declare poo-poo on their heads; if they did... Me Happier Still!

The only footage I saw in a review had a slightly slighted titled horizon. But in the tested review the dji rep said there is additional improvement In the gimbal from the p4 as the new p4pro camera is heavier and needed some redesigning.

We can only hope

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The only footage I saw in a review had a slightly slighted titled horizon. But in the tested review the dji rep said there is additional improvement In the gimbal from the p4 as the new p4pro camera is heavier and needed some redesigning.

We can only hope

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Same here the footage I saw it was off. I took my P4 out today at -5c (23f) the horizon is often slightly off but today in the cold it was perfect almost the whole flight. It was windy too about 15+mph, does it work better in the cold ???? freezing rain now for the next few days, can't wait to test this condition again.

I occasionally have a tilt (other than on Saturday nights but it doesn't affect my Phantom). I usually just fix a Phantom tilt in post if I can do so without increasing my video size over 103%.

Reactions: tml4191
Same here the footage I saw it was off. I took my P4 out today at -5c (23f) the horizon is often slightly off but today in the cold it was perfect almost the whole flight. It was windy too about 15+mph, does it work better in the cold ???? freezing rain now for the next few days, can't wait to test this condition again.
I had a similar experience. Flew on a 60 deg afternoon a couple weeks ago. The horizon was all over the place. Flew the same spot the next morning when it was 35F - the horizon was almost flawless. Little to no wind both times - no re-calibration done. When I initially did the IMU and gimbal cals - had chilled the bird to about 35F before doing them. About the same temp where the horizon tilt was good in flight. Coincidence ?

Reactions: Erised
Brand new P4P
9480e4d1a2053b712011d232e7e94238.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: tml4191
Nice shot there; looks pretty leveled from here.

That's the photo I took today.... not level.

Only got in one quick flight out of the box today after updating it... I will calibrate the gimbal and fly again tomorrow. Where I live we have a VERY flat horizon so any unwanted unlevelness shows up easily...

That's the photo I took today.... not level.

Only got in one quick flight out of the box today after updating it... I will calibrate the gimbal and fly again tomorrow. Where I live we have a VERY flat horizon so any unwanted unlevelness shows up easily...
I suggest you calibrate the IMU first on a level surface, then the gimbal. The IMU records what level is, which takes about 15min, and that works in concert with the gimbal when calibrated.

Reactions: cr6 and Timhicks77
I suggest you calibrate the IMU first on a level surface, then the gimbal. The IMU records what level is, which takes about 15min, and that works in concert with the gimbal when calibrated.
15minutes?? WTF that's too long for an IMU calibration. Don't fly it and keep it in a cool place. Then familiarise yourself with the GO app and make sure you know where the calibration screen is. Then do the IMU immediately when you power on the phantom. Calibration should only take a minute or 2. This will also help with IMU warm up times - the cooler, the faster.

Back when I was waiting for the Mavic that wasn't, there was talk in the threads about new advice from DJI to not re-calibrate the IMU unless prompted to by the software. That it was calibrated at the factory under proper conditions, I imagine temperature has something to do with it. Has the same advice been given about the P4P?

Back when I was waiting for the Mavic that wasn't, there was talk in the threads about new advice from DJI to not re-calibrate the IMU unless prompted to by the software. That it was calibrated at the factory under proper conditions, I imagine temperature has something to do with it. Has the same advice been given about the P4P?

Silly. I oppose that suggestion. Unless DJI knows exactly where the drone (mavic/phantom) is being delivered, then you can believe the "proper conditions statement".
CHINA town is in a different climate and a different altitude. This is why some DJI drones are taking 5 minutes to warm up. By that time, the birds would have laid eggs and left. The IMU needs to be done cold because the internals (enclosed and no cooling) can heat up quick and can no longer reflect the ambient temps outside. If it gets hot inside the unit, the tiny highly sensitive gyro, accelerometer and barometric sensors get thrown out. Most affected is the barometric as this works on pressure and what affects pressure most is.... Heat. So read up on "IMU and you".

In this video the guy just adjusted his gimble in flight. At the 2:14 mark.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The thing is: why are we having to fix his bug after 5 craft have it including rip most recent. Even across different gimbal hardware.

I'm still at the WTF stage. Yes, it's awesome that there is now a software option in the Go app to make adjustments but, still, why? Why not fix this?

Look, the craft knows, absolutely knows what "level" is - with no wind use auto take off and don't touch the controls. Up she goes and ...level, perfectly level. Any temp any altitude. In all three flights modes.

The hardware is attached very precisely and secured very sturdy. It's is a very well known position relative to the rest of the craft. Therefore, if the craft can perfectly level itself it's illogical that the gimbal can't likewise be leveled.

Also, what's the purpose of the Gimbal Auto Calibration. I've run it probably 50 times and I can't say I've seen more the most minor changes be after its run. In many cases I can see no difference.

I'm making noise about this because I think it's clearly important to have a level horizon in photos and I see absolutely no reason that this can't be permanently fixed and consistent across the entire line. I feel it is a hardware issue.

Lastly, a suggestion. When you calibrated the forward obstacle avoidance system you hold the cameras toward a calibration image. If DJI won't fix her hardware issue and force us to rely on a software hack setting, how about turn if we can place an image in front of he camera - perhaps a simple large + sign and the system looks at it and adjusts tilt so the + is perfectly straight. Simple. Put drone here... target image a very short distance directly in front of camera, click and confirm and done. Yes, it relies on the user to use flat surfaces. Another idea would be to put very small marks on the front of the landing legs that are both exactly even. Tie a thick string across he marks. Hold blank paper in front of camera. Use that line to calibrate.

Yes, all of those are really cheese ball hacks. I hate them all. I'd rather their either fix the hardware issue outright or, how about, throw a tiny electronic level inside the gimbal mounted directly to the board holding the sensor and use that to determine level by constantly sampling it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31