The one question I really dislike...

Reaction score
How much did it cost? I always just say, "Expensive." But this weekend at an event another photographer just wouldn't let it go. He comes up, says how jealous he is and we have a little small talk. We're surrounded by families and he asks how much, I respond that it is an expensive piece of equipment and he keeps asking and won't let it go.

If I were really interested in his go-to-hell DSLR I may ask him what manufacturer and model but I sure wouldn't ask him price! Especially at a family event surrounded by lots of people.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

90% of the time, specially when im alone in public places, i respond it was a gift from my girl friend and i have no idea on the exact amount.

after that people just say. wow she must love you a lot.

I don't want to say what it cost because I don't want my wife to actually know what I paid for it :mrgreen: I just say they aren't cheap...

I can't say I fully understand why you're adverse to telling him... but who am I to say. You have your reasons. And... besides... after you've refused a couple of times, how hard would it be for him to just look it up on his iPhone??

dirkclod said:
Dirty Bird said:
Rustynuts said:
I don't want to say what it cost because I don't want my wife to actually know what I paid for it :mrgreen: I just say they aren't cheap...

LMAO this is why its best to be honest with the wife! ;)
Been married long ? :lol:

Happily for 35 years....I'm sure all those cloths and shoes she always get on sale are really "on sale" too. :roll:

I always tell them the copter cost $1369 with an extra battery and if you want one just like it, go to www.dji.com... ;) I feel no need to be secretive about it. To me it would be no different than me buying a new iPhone 6 next month, and someone noticing it and asking "hey, how much is the new iPhone 6?" It's public.

OverheadAerial said:
How much did it cost? ... I respond that it is an expensive piece of equipment and he keeps asking and won't let it go.

If I were really interested in his go-to-hell DSLR I may ask him what manufacturer and model but I sure wouldn't ask him price!

His version of the story would have been that you were guarding the price like a state secret and just wouldn't answer his perfectly reasonable question.
The cost of a Phantom is hardly a secret. Anyone can find out what they cost in a few seconds googling.
What's the big deal? It's not something to get hung up about.

If you were really interested in his go-to-hell (??) DSLR you would have noticed the maker and model clearly marked on it. Just like the Phantom it's easy to find out what it costs.

Meta4 said:
The cost of a Phantom is hardly a secret. Anyone can find out what they cost in a few seconds googling.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, or even a generational thing, but certainly in the UK it's generally considered rather vulgar to ask someone how much something cost.

Comparison with a good DSLR is quite a good one, a phantom seems cheap compared to the camera body alone and a lot of lenses are more than Vision Plus.

On the other hand a lens holds value for years but a phantom will sooner or later have failure or seem obsolete by a newer model!
But there are plenty of other hobbies get costly easily enough if you are keen - such as shooting or motorbikes.

I've never minded telling someone the cost, but the question is rude if you ask Emily Post.

I can understand not wanting to answer if you don't wanna. A question is a request for information, not a demand. Simply answer "I don't want to say. But you can find all the information online." If they ask again, say "My answer is not going to change." If they ask again, simply smile and ignore the question.

HarryT said:
Meta4 said:

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, or even a generational thing, but certainly in the UK it's generally considered rather vulgar to ask someone how much something cost.

HarryT hit the nail on the head. The cost of the P2 is not a secret, my opinion is based on how I was raised. That's what I meant when I referred to his DSLR model and manufacturer. To me, that's not an offensive question, I can then go and google the product myself. Another example is a car, I would never ask someone what they paid for their vehicle. It's really none of my business.

I guess I'm weird that way.

I get asked that alot also. I will generally answer "expensive" the first time but if they ask again (it does happen but is rare) I tell them "thats about $1500 flying in the air right now and about another $500 worth of extras on the ground in my case"

OverheadAerial said:
HarryT hit the nail on the head. The cost of the P2 is not a secret, my opinion is based on how I was raised. That's what I meant when I referred to his DSLR model and manufacturer. To me, that's not an offensive question, I can then go and google the product myself. Another example is a car, I would never ask someone what they paid for their vehicle. It's really none of my business.

I guess I'm weird that way.

Not at all - you're a gentleman :).

I usually tell people it costs around $4000, then I tell them I'll sell it to them real cheap for $2500 but only for $2000 if paid in cash.

I see nothing wrong with someone asking the price of what you're flying. Just saying EXPENSIVE to me is like you are bragging that you can afford it and many can't. This is very new to some people and they are interested and want an idea of the cost. It's not rude to ask. As far as the car price, give them list and prove to them you are not a savy shopper. I have had a few ask me and I tell them. No big deal. A car is easy to look up the price but many of these flying machines are so new to people, they have no idea where to look. Do they just search for WHITE FLYING THING. If you don't want to talk to people, tell them that and move away.

IF they ask I tell them. I generally do not ask people how much something cost. Or I say mind if I ask, then if I get a no thats ok too. But since the prices of these are all posted on line its no secret.

Yeah, you don't have to ask them exactly what they paid...just ask about what do thes things cost. Give them the info to look up. People are always complaining about others so much about how rude they are that they can't see themselves as rude. It's the forest and tree thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik