The one question I really dislike...

Yeah, I don't like that question. In my area that could be a factor in whether or not they're going to try to steal it from me. . . ;)

HarryT said:
Perhaps it's a cultural thing, or even a generational thing, but certainly in the UK it's generally considered rather vulgar to ask someone how much something cost.

Very interesting point. Never thought of the cultural differences.

Can you just say something like "eh... a grand or so, depending" (adjusted for your particular currency, of course)?

Dirty Bird said:
Just tell him. Why should it bother you to tell him how much it cost?

dont know about you guys, but mexico is not a very secure place to carry expensive toys/cars/watches/cameras/computers/iphones/etc. i mean its not that you're going to be robbed but i prefer being cautious by not telling how much i spend on the quad. thats why it "was a gift from my girlfriend" :)

Being an American I don't see the big deal in asking, but I do understand that other cultures may not see it that way.

Monte55 said:
I went to a donut shop and ask how much for coffee and a donut. He couldn't answer. He was using this logic

Poor donut shop owner. He's now out of business.

But that has no bearing here, since we aren't trying to sell anything.

I am hungry

what I want to know is, who is the person that is interested in something like this that doesn't have a smart phone in their pocket that they could just look up the price themselves in 10 seconds?

Rustynuts said:
I don't want to say what it cost because I don't want my wife to actually know what I paid for it :mrgreen: I just say they aren't cheap...

My wife knows what they cost and has watched two of them go into the lake, only one was retrieved (by her, actually). She's a keeper... :)

sj

Assgoblin said:
what I want to know is, who is the person that is interested in something like this that doesn't have a smart phone in their pocket that they could just look up the price themselves in 10 seconds?

Ok, I have a lathe for sale....how much is it worth?

Assgoblin said:
I think maybe that's just it. They aren't that interested, yet. But they're trying to figure out how to start a conversation about the thing. Then they'll figure out whether they're interested or not.

I just wish people wouldn't talk to me while I'm setting up or flying. I'm usually trying to concentrate and questions from strangers are very distracting. But I know that's too much to ask....

mmn said:
Assgoblin said:
I think maybe that's just it. They aren't that interested, yet. But they're trying to figure out how to start a conversation about the thing. Then they'll figure out whether they're interested or not.

I just wish people wouldn't talk to me while I'm setting up or flying. I'm usually trying to concentrate and questions from strangers are very distracting. But I know that's too much to ask....

Sounds like you need an agent, or a personal assistant to handle the crowd. "Sorry sir, Mr. Mmn is concentrating... we would not want that thing to crash into your car now would we?"

Sometimes it is good to talk to the crowd. Check out this that happened to me a couple weeks ago while quad flying and talking to people: http://ludstuff.blogspot.com/2014/08/sk ... y-bit.html

He was really appreciative of both airplane rides he got, mine and the one in the Stearman. The drawing he of my plane is amazing and I will keep it forever. He was taking pictures of my son flying the drone around so I took it over and showed it to him, then asked him if he wanted to swap a ride for a sketch of my plane.

sj

Monte55 said:
Ok, I have a lathe for sale....how much is it worth?

Then the proper question is "what make and model of quadcopter you got there, so I can look up more information about it on my phone", eh?

mmn said:
Yeah, I don't like that question. In my area that could be a factor in whether or not they're going to try to steal it from me. . . ;)
That is why you have your concealed carry with you. ;)
Out of 35 recorded flights, I have only had four people talk to me about the quad. I don't fly with many/any people around. I don't mind telling them what it cost. I carry one of the DJI.com cards that came with the quad and give them one. Telling them I don't get a commission.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj