The Official Firmware Update Thread

Updated the P4 and then the controller via the iOS DJI Go app. Zero issues.

Not sure why so many people are having issues.

You hear that? That is the sound of the millions of people that are in the silent majority.

Reactions: Kman

Maybe because DJI cannot write a correct piece of software ?
- DJI Assistant : tells it has been updated and you need to restart... endlessly
- FW Update : while it seems the quad needs to be updated before the R/C, the R/C is updated first leading to a quad not being able to connect to the R/C (while still having the camera view on the tablet !)
- Procedures : sometimes, the quad need to be OFF, sometimes ON, but finally nobody knows
- DJI Go map on iOS : pinch and zoom working only from the right side of the tablet screen (and many other glitches)

Reactions: zacksomeone
Maybe because DJI cannot write a correct piece of software ?
- DJI Assistant : tells it has been updated and you need to restart... endlessly
- FW Update : while it seems the quad needs to be updated before the R/C, the R/C is updated first leading to a quad not being able to connect to the R/C (while still having the camera view on the tablet !)
- Procedures : sometimes, the quad need to be OFF, sometimes ON, but finally nobody knows
- DJI Go map on iOS : pinch and zoom working only from the right side of the tablet screen (and many other glitches)

I had none of these issues.

Turned on both the controller and P4 and launched the DJI Go app on my iPad Air 2.

After about 20 seconds the DJI Go app informs me there is an update via the home screen for the P4. The problem people are having is they are clicking the camera button to bring up the FPV view and when you do that it shows the controller update first. You have to wait on the home screen for the P4 update to show up. I click to start downloading. Download starts and finishes. Go app informs me to plug the iPad into the P4 via the cable so I do. Software installs on the P4 and finishes. Prompt tells me it is successful.

Click the camera button on the Go app to launch the P4 FPV view. Click the banner at the top and it informs me there is a controller update. Click to install. Install happens and then I get a prompt to restart the controller so I do along with the P4.

Do a IMU calibration and gimbal calibration. No issues. Pretty straight forward.

Same as Kman but with iPad Mini 4, updated the aircraft via provided cable from the iPad then updated the RC from the iPad as well. Everything synced up and off for a flight we went.

I'm having issues with the Assistant so I don't use it. Every time I open it, tells me it has updated and please to restart it. I restart it, it after some time once again tells me it updated and once again to restart it, never ending loop.

I had none of these issues.

Turned on both the controller and P4 and launched the DJI Go app on my iPad Air 2.

After about 20 seconds the DJI Go app informs me there is an update via the home screen for the P4. The problem people are having is they are clicking the camera button to bring up the FPV view and when you do that it shows the controller update first. You have to wait on the home screen for the P4 update to show up. I click to start downloading. Download starts and finishes. Go app informs me to plug the iPad into the P4 via the cable so I do. Software installs on the P4 and finishes. Prompt tells me it is successful.

Click the camera button on the Go app to launch the P4 FPV view. Click the banner at the top and it informs me there is a controller update. Click to install. Install happens and then I get a prompt to restart the controller so I do along with the P4.

Do a IMU calibration and gimbal calibration. No issues. Pretty straight forward.
Sorry but clicking on the camera button is not a user problem. This is a developper problem and nothing else.
I'm a developper and if I have to update "A" before "B", I make sure to put the correct code in the "B" update to check the status of "A" before !!!

Reactions: zacksomeone
Sorry but clicking on the camera button is not a user problem. This is a developer problem and nothing else.
I'm a developer and if I have to update "A" before "B", I make sure to put the correct code in the "B" update to check the status of "A" before !!!

THANK YOU, Aramis! I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but NOWHERE have I seen any documentation on what you are supposed to upgrade first (and I read the manual cover-to-cover). I powered up my remote, and then my P4, and the FIRST THING DJI Go said was Upgrade the RC. So I did. THEN it said to upgrade the Aircraft! If you are REQUIRED to update the FW in the drone FIRST, then that should be the order that the information is presented.

Kman, I'm THRILLED that you have had no issues with your firmware upgrades. I could do without the condescension, though... SOME of us are newer to this than others.

Reactions: Fitcherama and Kman
THANK YOU, Aramis! I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but NOWHERE have I seen any documentation on what you are supposed to upgrade first (and I read the manual cover-to-cover). I powered up my remote, and then my P4, and the FIRST THING DJI Go said was Upgrade the RC. So I did. THEN it said to upgrade the Aircraft! If you are REQUIRED to update the FW in the drone FIRST, then that should be the order that the information is presented.

Kman, I'm THRILLED that you have had no issues with your firmware upgrades. I could do without the condescension, though... SOME of us are newer to this than others.

Update P4 then RC. No issues. Pretty simple.

Update P4 then RC. No issues. Pretty simple.

But the point I'm trying to make is that NOWHERE does it tell you that... That's all... I'm pretty sure MOST THINGS are "pretty simple" once you know how to do them...

But, now that you mention it, WHY do you update the aircraft first, and THEN the RC? I'm honestly just curious... Again, I've never read that anywhere... I've read my manuals, and studied posts here, and watched a ton of youtube videos, but it seems like some of this stuff, you just seem to have to KNOW....

Updated firmware, and all seems to be working fine, but I noticed this in the app. It shows up fine in the assistant sw. Is anyone else seeing the same?

IMG_0454.jpg

But the point I'm trying to make is that NOWHERE does it tell you that... That's all... I'm pretty sure MOST THINGS are "pretty simple" once you know how to do them...

But, now that you mention it, WHY do you update the aircraft first, and THEN the RC? I'm honestly just curious... Again, I've never read that anywhere... I've read my manuals, and studied posts here, and watched a ton of youtube videos, but it seems like some of this stuff, you just seem to have to KNOW....
There is no escaping the truth of this comment.

What is second nature to people that know is complete non-sense to someone that doesn't and DJI should have a FM of the RTFM and not a BS digital one but one that is true when it starts and addendums are added with firmwares, LIKE ALMOST EVERY TECHNOLOGY company in existence.

They better close the cultural gap because as someone that has seen some of the competition's competing protects to be in the person, DJI could lose all of its market share over something stupid like that.

I love DJI products, but the company better figure out where they are losing in translation now that they have the world market. Easy to lose and many very funded companies are biting at the chomp. DJI seems primed to lose market share over the next couple years (and I'm only talking in percentages. Actually numbers will go up unless the bought and destroyed players, don't re-buy).

Reactions: XJoeyX

That document doesn't mention the Phantom 4. Says specifically it's for the P3 and I1. While I have upgraded various Phantoms including P4 dozens of times I have to agree with people who say the whole process is amateurishly designed and implemented. Clearly not DJI's strong point. Personally I wait at least a week or two before bothering with it.

I managed a pain free update last night having read all the posts here so thanks to the forum members for that. There's a steep learning curve here if you're a noob and in spite of Plastic Ty's video tutorials there is a ton of stuff you have to search out for yourself. I wouldn't say DJI make it particularly easy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That document doesn't mention the Phantom 4. Says specifically it's for the P3 and I1. While I have upgraded various Phantoms including P4 dozens of times I have to agree with people who say the whole process is amateurishly designed and implemented. Clearly not DJI's strong point. Personally I wait at least a week or two before bothering with it.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't notice this was in the P4 forum.

I managed a pain free update last night having read all the posts here so thanks to the forum members for that. There's a steep learning curve here if you're a noob and in spite of Plastic Ty's video tutorials there is a ton of stuff you have to search out for yourself. I wouldn't say DJI make it particularly easy.

Pretty much correct. I look back now and realize all the time I spent searching, reading, following links, watching videos and testing. But it's just part of the he game at this stage. But we're not too far from unbox and fly.

Good luck with that. In spite of the initial challenges I'm absolutely loving the P4. Flew on the updated equipment today and it was perfect. Much quieter startup idle I noticed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj