TFR over Mercedes-Benz Stadium

For those going to the game and those watching... unless something changes there will be sUAS in the area but they are part of the "Approved Aircraft" flying for Law Enforcement.

Don't be shocked if you hear they had AeroScope there and knew exactly who/what/where any un-Authorized aircraft were flying. This should be interesting. I almost hope someone "Benignly" tries to fly there in order to test the "system in place".

Reactions: skymonkey
For those going to the game and those watching... unless something changes there will be sUAS in the area but they are part of the "Approved Aircraft" flying for Law Enforcement.

Don't be shocked if you hear they had AeroScope there and knew exactly who/what/where any un-Authorized aircraft were flying. This should be interesting. I almost hope someone "Benignly" tries to fly there in order to test the "system in place".

"This should be interesting. I almost hope someone "Benignly" tries to fly there in order to test the "system in place". "
I would pay to be an ant on that sidewalk as the cops approached the "pilot";)

"This should be interesting. I almost hope someone "Benignly" tries to fly there in order to test the "system in place". "
I would pay to be an ant on that sidewalk as the cops approached the "pilot";)

Exactly!! *rubs hands together mischievously*
tenor.gif

This could be fun :)
Eating-Popcorn-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-25.gif

Oh, no problem. "From the surface up to and including 1000 feet AGL " So we can fly our drones over the area at 1600ft. LOL

Legally no, technically yes, but I doubt that the DJI geo system takes altitude into account for TFRs. So you would either need to keep the DJI GO app disconnected from the internet so that it doesn't get the TFR notification or be on a list of aircraft excluded from TFR control.

Reactions: BigAl07
Legally no, technically yes, but I doubt that the DJI geo system takes altitude into account for TFRs. So you would either need to keep the DJI GO app disconnected from the internet so that it doesn't get the TFR notification or be on a list of aircraft excluded from TFR control.

I've got some colleagues who were "on the list of approved" in a TFR in (I Think) it was Colorado last week fo a big high profile shoot. Even though they were approved, had the Unlock by DJI etc none of their (3) DJI aircraft would arm the motors. After an hour of phone calls, emails etc they pulled out another brand of sUAS (H520) shot the video and made the $$. It's good to have a back up plan just in case :)

I've got some colleagues who were "on the list of approved" in a TFR in (I Think) it was Colorado last week fo a big high profile shoot. Even though they were approved, had the Unlock by DJI etc none of their (3) DJI aircraft would arm the motors. After an hour of phone calls, emails etc they pulled out another brand of sUAS (H520) shot the video and made the $$. It's good to have a back up plan just in case :)

That's unfortunate. We already have some aircraft unlocked for TFRs - the system should work but it takes around 3 weeks to for the update to propagate to the aircraft.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's unfortunate. We already have some aircraft unlocked for TFRs - the system should work but it takes around 3 weeks to for the update to propagate to the aircraft.

Ahhh that's the kink then. It wasn't coordinated in advance enough. I think it was less than a week. It's funny that DJI didn't mention anything about the 3-week propagation. Now we know :) For the record DJI was very quick and helpful getting the unlock done etc but it just didn't "take" in time for the aircraft to get unlocked. They moved over to Yuneec and it was done without delay.

I'll pass this info along. Interesting :)

Ahhh that's the kink then. It wasn't coordinated in advance enough. I think it was less than a week. It's funny that DJI didn't mention anything about the 3-week propagation. Now we know :) For the record DJI was very quick and helpful getting the unlock done etc but it just didn't "take" in time for the aircraft to get unlocked. They moved over to Yuneec and it was done without delay.

The three week timescale was what DJI stated should be allowed for it to happen - I don't know for certain how long it actually takes.

Reactions: David Kraft

I've not tested it but I'd guess there's no way the DJI geofencing would permit you to fly within the Lat/Lon box no matter what the altitude restrictions are. Many controlled airspace regions are not rectangles or circles and have more complex shapes but the DJI geofencing seems to create either a circular or rectangular no-fly zone based on the furthest NW and furthest SE extremes of the airspace. I wanted to fly east of Green River Utah to catch the Amtrak Zephyr train but the DJI Go app said I was in the R6413 special use airspace even though I was more than three miles east of it. Turns out the R6413 region is maybe 11 miles further east at its southern end so even though I was outside the region the Go app apparently doesn't store that info at the detail level of the region and instead just creates a rectangle based on the furthest extremes N/S and E/W.

I can guess it makes the data more compact and testing a current location against a simplified rectangle or circle is less CPU taxing than doing so using more accurate coordinates for the region.

In case anyone is interested bring up AirMap and go to Green River Utah and you'll notice the R6413 region that extends just south of Green River and you can see how the shape is neither a circle nor a rectangle. Where I was trying to launch was at: 38.9364, -109.9919 and this is more than 3 miles from the closest boundary to the R6413 region. If you notice the furthest extremes of the R6413 extend further north and east than my location so that's why I think the DJI geofencing simplifies all such regions into the most inclusive circle or rectangle as that requires the least data and makes it easier to test. It does, however, produce many false violations.

Brian

Last edited:

Backup plan: Put aluminum Foil over the GPS and fly atti.

I've not tested it but I'd guess there's no way the DJI geofencing would permit you to fly within the Lat/Lon box no matter what the altitude restrictions are. Many controlled airspace regions are not rectangles or circles and have more complex shapes but the DJI geofencing seems to create either a circular or rectangular no-fly zone based on the furthest NW and furthest SE extremes of the airspace. I wanted to fly east of Green River Utah to catch the Amtrak Zephyr train but the DJI Go app said I was in the R6413 special use airspace even though I was more than three miles east of it. Turns out the R6413 region is maybe 11 miles further east at its southern end so even though I was outside the region the Go app apparently doesn't store that info at the detail level of the region and instead just creates a rectangle based on the furthest extremes N/S and E/W.

I can guess it makes the data more compact and testing a current location against a simplified rectangle or circle is less CPU taxing than doing so using more accurate coordinates for the region.

In case anyone is interested bring up AirMap and go to Green River Utah and you'll notice the R6413 region that extends just south of Green River and you can see how the shape is neither a circle nor a rectangle. Where I was trying to launch was at: 38.9364, -109.9919 and this is more than 3 miles from the closest boundary to the R6413 region. If you notice the furthest extremes of the R6413 extend further north and east than my location so that's why I think the DJI geofencing simplifies all such regions into the most inclusive circle or rectangle as that requires the least data and makes it easier to test. It does, however, produce many false violations.

Brian

Are you using the latest firmware and DJI GO 4 app? The new DJI geo system resolves restricted areas much better, and that location is outside R6413.

1548906420338.jpeg

I have the latest firmware update, but when I tried this it was last March so it was probably with the firmware just prior to the current version.

One problem, perhaps, is that DJI's approach to updates is kind of potluck where somethings are updated one way but other things another way. My last trip in early January of this year I had verified the firmware was up to date before leaving because I knew I would not be in cell coverage for most of the trip, but when I fired up the drone and app I got a message about updating the database (not sure the language used) but I was not in cell coverage so I had to blow that off.

Do you know if the update is the firmware or the geofencing database or both?

It would be nice if the update handles restricted areas better, but I think you can see from the map you linked that my launch location was outside R6413 by more than 3 miles, but within a larger rectangle defined by the extremes of N/S and E/W.

Brian

One more question for anyone that might know ... is the geofencing testing done within the drone, the remote, or the Go app? I mean, as you're flying along it has to constantly check to see if your new position is within or approaching a no-fly zone and such testing, if done 10X per second (update rate of GPS) could eat quite a bit of drone CPU cycles as the algorithm to test that might be fairly elaborate and processor intensive. It would make most sense if this testing were done on the drone, but it could be done in the remote or even the Go app -- I just don't know.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl