Testing VSP Mode

Reaction score
Some people have posted that they flew over a ledge and the VPS/Ultrasonic sensors caused the Phantom 3 to crash. I had the opportunity to test this out this weekend. I flew _many_ flights out over a ledge and many flights back into the ledge... never an issue. I posted a video with a few of these flights.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Love the R&D.... hats off to those who push the bird out.

I think if there is VPS issue it is when GPS is lost and the aircraft goes into P-Opti mode and then finds the VPS suddenly kicks in the middle of the flight. Very hard to replicate..

Nice footage.. Where was that?

You shot that at 4k 30P with sharpening on?
No sharpening might help to get rid of some of the compression noise.

I believe it's using the barometer to keep height.

Yes it does but will now uses VPS if it does not have GPS to fix location (mainly for indoor flying and landing) - it has sonar and a camera to do this. There is a possibility if GPS is lost and the aircraft is flying over a irregular shape close to the sonar it may influence the aircraft. It is a possibility but I don't think it is a problem with the VPS. It maybe a error when multiple variables change unexpectedly

I wonder what happens if you are at a low altitude at say less than 25 feet and you do the same maneuver?
That seems to be where some people have had problems, when encountering a sharp change between the ground while at low altitude.

I wonder what happens if you are at a low altitude at say less than 25 feet and you do the same maneuver?
That seems to be where some people have had problems, when encountering a sharp change between the ground while at low altitude.

From what I have read the VPS is only active from a height of 3m or less

The P3 was about 5' off the ground in both of those videos. It may look further as the camera was angled forward slightly. When flying back onto the ledge in the 2nd video I was climbing at the same time (it was more difficult to judge the height of the P3 above the lip so I raised it slightly).

Nice footage.. Where was that?

You shot that at 4k 30P with sharpening on?
No sharpening might help to get rid of some of the compression noise.

That is from the Wedge Outlook/Little Grand Canyon in the San Rafael Swell area of central Utah. It's a quick drive and I needed to get out of town.

It's shot in 1080 60fps. I shot in 4k once and will do most of my shooting on 1080p now. There is just too much bulk in 4k. If I'm some place really special I might shoot some video in 4k.. and will probably shoot more in 4k in the future.

I LOVE flying the Phantoms and getting film and photos. I SUCK at editing. :) That is, I really don't do any editing of the quality of the film. It talks me long enough just to put together short videos.

The whole notion of 'terrain following' does really make much sense.

The VPS sensor is pointed down and during forward flight it will be pointed a bit aft.
Ideally you want your terrain 'sensing' to be done ahead of the a/c so as to be able to adjust for what is ahead not below or behind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31