Testing Radio antenna with multimeter?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new here. I've had my Vision for about a month and have had no issues to date…and am loving it :) .

I purchased a RE700 to extend my FPV (worked like a charm!) and I performed the transmitter mod so that I could use an aftermarket antenna to extend my range.

I installed a U.FL to RP-SMA pigtail and am using a TP-Link 5dBi antenna like this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PF ... UTF8&psc=1). The problem is that I think I may have shorted my amp in the radio because I'm only getting 1800ft transmission and then I lose communication when I read that I should be getting much much more. (I fly out in the open countryside…no wifi noise at all)

Long story short, before I go out and buy a new radio, is there a way to check my antenna output with a multimeter? Or should I buy a FPVLR transmitter antenna and try that?

Thanks in advance guys!

I think your problem may be with the antenna you purchased. It will radiate a 360 signal, were as the re700 is directional, sending a stronger cone signal in the direction it is pointed. FPVLR would be a much better choice. I take it you are not using any kind of external amp.

Ok, I think I may be reading this wrong. You put the new antenna on the TX controller, not the wifi extender? If so, that antenna won't work as it is 2.4 ghz. The TX uses 5.8 ghz.

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, I put the mod in the TX controller…not the wifi extender.

I must have had a brain fade on the TP-Link I ordered…it is a 2.4 and I knew the controller was 5.8…

I'm not looking to set any distance records with this thing, but I do want to go a little further than stock.

Right now I can either order a 5.8 antenna like the TP-Link or a FPVLR…???

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl