Tablets

All you need is a device that has a GPS receiver. If it's an Apple device, that means it must be a cellular model.

What I'm asking is if it doesn't have GPS what features are unusable? I think it's just follow me and resetting the home point while flying?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What I'm asking is if it doesn't have GPS what features are unusable?
If you do not have GPS on your mobile device, you cannot use the Follow Me feature or reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. You can reset the home point to your Phantom's current location though.

If you do not have GPS on your mobile device, you cannot use the Follow Me feature or reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. You can reset the home point to your Phantom's current location though.

Thanks that makes it easier. I don't live in an area where i would be able to use follow me or change the home point mid flight.

Thanks that makes it easier. I don't live in an area where i would be able to use follow me or change the home point mid flight.
But you should also keep in mind if your device doesn't have GPS that the telemetry/map display will NOT have your position marked by a blue dot, and not sure how the radar icon will display the drones orientation which is referenced to your position, not home point I believe. Also one last point, I think there's a glitch that if you by chance try to reset the home point to your location while not having a device that supports GPS, strange things can happen with that home point mark.

not sure how the radar icon will display the drones orientation which is referenced to your position, not home point I believe
It's in reference to the home point. This feature works the same way whether or not the mobile device has a GPS receiver.

I think there's a glitch that if you by chance try to reset the home point to your location while not having a device that supports GPS, strange things can happen with that home point mark.
I'm not aware of any such glitch. The DJI GO app should display a message saying the home point could not be reset.

It's in reference to the home point. This feature works the same way whether or not the mobile device has a GPS receiver.

I'm not aware of any such glitch. The DJI GO app should display a message saying the home point could not be reset.

As a test - If i put my phone in airplane mode, should that be the same as using a device with no GPS?

As a test - If i put my phone in airplane mode, should that be the same as using a device with no GPS?
That will not disable GPS on an iPhone. See more details here.

On your second point, here's a thread on the DJI forum where some were discussing this issue.
I believe it occurs when the device has no GPS (or weak signal) and the max distance limit is also turned on. You can read it yourself, and see what you think.
1 Month Old.decided to keep drone DRONE FLY AWAY new home set

You can read it yourself, and see what you think.
It's an interesting story for sure. It seems the story has no end though.

On your first point, the device would still need to have a compass to display the drones orientation via the icon, correct?

On your first point, the device would still need to have a compass to display the drones orientation via the icon, correct?
Correct. The direction of the aircraft in the radar will not be accurate if the mobile device's compass is not working and/or not calibrated properly.

I;ve been using an android tablet- Asus tablet 8" was on sale for $138.00 at B.Buy & the sales kid is a drony, recommended it, & it works perfectly. That is, until I saw my neighbours P-4 with a 12" screen!
I have a Lenovo 12" tablet that my kids used for gaming, the one that has the round battery across one end, I will get the model #.
Cleaned everything off it, except DJI go & Litchi apps, my Hemmings car mags. & the thing is awesome!
Big bright screen, no lag, but, it doesn't quite fit the holder, I simply put the round battery end down, & use a 1" piece of gaffer tape at the top of holder. Not much of an issue, & to me anyway, worth for the wonderful, big bright, images!
I;m looking for a better landyard, as balancing is an issue & may be with any large screened tablet, I would think.

You can see what I recommend here. Other devices listed there that are not recommended by DJI or I are common recommendations by other Phantom pilots. That's how I created that list -- people kept recommending the same tablets.
Thanks for this list. I've tried a few android options on this list and come across the same issue, I go the Googleplay store and when I try to download the DJI Go app it says "This app is not compatible with this device" What am I missing? Does it only work with Tablets that have 3G/cell capabilities? I was about to purchase a Samsung Galaxy 4 Tab off OfferUp and I used my Iphone hotspot to get WiFi signal to log into my google account and try to download the DJI Go app. Doesn't work! What do you think?

For devices that are not compatible, you'll need to sideload the DJI GO APK like this.

how can I tell if a tablet with WiFI only has a GPS Reciever?
No Wi-Fi only Apple tablets contain GPS receivers. For Android devices, check the device specs.

Thanks for this list. I've tried a few android options on this list and come across the same issue, I go the Googleplay store and when I try to download the DJI Go app it says "This app is not compatible with this device" What am I missing? Does it only work with Tablets that have 3G/cell capabilities? I was about to purchase a Samsung Galaxy 4 Tab off OfferUp and I used my Iphone hotspot to get WiFi signal to log into my google account and try to download the DJI Go app. Doesn't work! What do you think?
The most likely cause of this Googleplay message is that the Android ver on the device to out of date. Either update the Android ver on your device first, and if that can't be done because of an outdated device than I would suggest getting a newer device. It has nothing to do with cell capabilities.

how can I tell if a tablet with WiFI only has a GPS Reciever?
It's easy, just turn off the wifi for a moment. Than boot up a map app and see if it can pinpoint your location. If it can, and your device doesn't have cell service and you have turned off wifi, how else could it know your location. But via GPS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav