Tablet recommendations

I hesitate to recommend the iPad mini 2 because the screen is not very bright at all. That is why I had to get the iPad Mini 4
I was using an acer icons but the dji app would lock me out whenever I tried to video and the drone would rth.
So I went Snapple with an ipadmini2 instead of fighting with all the renditions of android.

Id the mini4 that much brighter?
I use windows for everything else so all these **** tablet purchases are pain since they are dedicated for flying

I was using an acer icons but the dji app would lock me out whenever I tried to video and the drone would rth.
So I went Snapple with an ipadmini2 instead of fighting with all the renditions of android.

I use windows for everything else so all these **** tablet purchases are pain since they are dedicated for flying
I don't mostly bc I don't have the extra $100 plus to get a used mini 4 but 200 on a mini is not bad

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

****, I was beginning to think everybody was apple crazy. I'm not. An apple is too expensive when I can buy 8 kindle fires for 1 apple.
Sorry I was trying to give direct link. Look for my post in their with the YouTube video. I tried it and I had the google play store on there using just the kindle in less than 5 minutes. Again I didn't use it to actually fly but it did connect in my kitchen and looked ok.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've used it to fly. Only 3 times, but I just got it last fri. It works fine. But I do think I'm gonna hafta think about a shade. I don't know, but I bet all tablets are bad in direct sunlight.

This is the website I used to determine if I should get the Mini 4 or Air 2, Screen brightness and low reflectance were the key factors i used in making my determination.

iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, and iPad Pro Display Technology Shoot-Out

This is a quote from that page about the iPad Mini 4:
"iPad mini 4

The iPad mini 4 is close to being a textbook perfect LCD display in all of the Lab measurements and viewing tests. Among the iPads it takes first place and is marked Best in every single test category except Contrast Ratio – where it has a Very Good but not the highest Contrast Ratio of 957 in 0 lux (because Apple didn’t provide a Photo Aligned LCD like on the Air 2 and Pro).

Among all existing Tablets of any size, the iPad mini 4 takes first place and breaks performance records in many of the most important test categories including: lowest screen Reflectance (2.0 percent), Highest Contrast Rating in High Ambient Light (225), a near perfect Log-Straight Intensity Scale and Gamma of 2.22, and the highest Absolute Color Accuracy (Average/Maximum Color Errors of 1.9 and 4.2 JNCD – tied for first place with the Microsoft Surface Pro 4). If Apple hadn’t intentionally made the display’s White Point so bluish (7,109K instead of 6,500K) then the Color Errors would have been even smaller.

There is just one qualification… if you will be viewing dark content or need perfectly dark Black Levels, then an OLED display like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 will perform much better than an LCD display.

The iPad mini is small but has a gorgeous display – unquestionably the best and most accurate LCD Tablet display that we have ever tested. If a 7.9 inch display is big enough, the iPad mini 4 is the best! See the Display Shoot-Out Comparison Table for all of the measurements and details."

This is the website I used to determine if I should get the Mini 4 or Air 2, Screen brightness and low reflectance were the key factors i used in making my determination.

iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, and iPad Pro Display Technology Shoot-Out

This is a quote from that page about the iPad Mini 4:
"iPad mini 4

The iPad mini 4 is close to being a textbook perfect LCD display in all of the Lab measurements and viewing tests. Among the iPads it takes first place and is marked Best in every single test category except Contrast Ratio – where it has a Very Good but not the highest Contrast Ratio of 957 in 0 lux (because Apple didn’t provide a Photo Aligned LCD like on the Air 2 and Pro).

Among all existing Tablets of any size, the iPad mini 4 takes first place and breaks performance records in many of the most important test categories including: lowest screen Reflectance (2.0 percent), Highest Contrast Rating in High Ambient Light (225), a near perfect Log-Straight Intensity Scale and Gamma of 2.22, and the highest Absolute Color Accuracy (Average/Maximum Color Errors of 1.9 and 4.2 JNCD – tied for first place with the Microsoft Surface Pro 4). If Apple hadn’t intentionally made the display’s White Point so bluish (7,109K instead of 6,500K) then the Color Errors would have been even smaller.

There is just one qualification… if you will be viewing dark content or need perfectly dark Black Levels, then an OLED display like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 will perform much better than an LCD display.

The iPad mini is small but has a gorgeous display – unquestionably the best and most accurate LCD Tablet display that we have ever tested. If a 7.9 inch display is big enough, the iPad mini 4 is the best! See the Display Shoot-Out Comparison Table for all of the measurements and details."
What does one cost?

****, I was beginning to think everybody was apple crazy. I'm not. An apple is too expensive when I can buy 8 kindle fires for 1 apple.
And I could buy 25 Syma X5C-1 quadcopters for the price of one DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Quality over quantity, nuff said.

I'll just stick with my cheapo 49$ fire. 350 could almost buy me another standard.
Not sure if the fire will be able to handle dji go... I have the insignia flex elite(iPad mini clone) which does great and was $130. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not sure if the fire will be able to handle dji go... I have the insignia flex elite(iPad mini clone) which does great and was $130. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app
I guess I need to take a picture of it with the app running. It works, but you don't have to believe me. Apple I hear is a good one.

I'll just stick with my cheapo 49$ fire. 350 could almost buy me another standard.
I get it but when the 150$ acer icona shut dji go down while the drone was in the air; and, would not start it back up. I figured i may as well just buy something that i knew would work rather than hope it would work. That way I minimized the chances of the drone flying away.

Edit: the app ran fine on the acer....until I was 15 minutes Into a flight and switched from movie to still pictures. Then the app shut down and it said (dji go quit running). The inky way to get the app to run again was by completely resetting the tablet and reloading go. The sake thing happened two additional times. So, I went with the side of caution rather than making something work.
Not saying the same thing won't happen, just illustrating that you don't know yet, you still have not used it in the air, or completely tested it.
I would hate to see a lurker get stung.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Arnson
dumb question, but don't you need something with GPS to use follow me mode? Or is home based on controller location......

I have flown mine with no phone, no tablet, no nothing. I was under the impression that the rc controls the drone, not your phone or tablet. I think the monitor is there to give you information, like battery remaining, gimbal overload, where you're located if you like to fly out of sight. That's what I use the tablet for, save the last one. I never fly out of sight. I take pictures of things within 1000' of me. I could be wrong, but that how I do it, and it's worked so far. I'd hate to think that my flying all hinges on an app, and a tablet, that after 6 months or so DJI is still putting out debugging updates on.

dumb question, but don't you need something with GPS to use follow me mode? Or is home based on controller location......
That I don't know, but its a cince you couldn't fly waypoints and poi without a phone.

The app is used for telementry, dirction, GPS, map, settings and operating the camera.
The GPS is used for follow me or to change the home location during flight. Other than those two things the GPS is not needed. from what I understand the phantom remembers its launch point as home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers