Sun Shade

Reaction score
I use Amazon fire HD8 with my Standard, works well.
I have the usual problem with "back glare" when viewing (all I seem to see is the sky)
Have made up a DIY hood of black card which does its best but am wondering if some sort of fabric drape (like the old photographers used) would be worth trying.
The hood is OK for general use (just) and stills, but videos are a bit hit and miss due to the sky reflecting behind my head.
I see there is a "what the butler saw" gadget available in USA, looks a bit too much?
Any ideas most welcome.

I have the usual problem with "back glare" when viewing (all I seem to see is the sky)
Have made up a DIY hood of black card which does its best but am wondering if some sort of fabric drape (like the old photographers used) would be worth trying.
The hood is OK for general use (just) and stills, but videos are a bit hit and miss due to the sky reflecting behind my head.
I see there is a "what the butler saw" gadget available in USA, looks a bit too much?
Any ideas most welcome.
No tablet does well in the sun. I have heard of people doing what you described with a blanket until it gets too hot. Big umbrella hats, as goofy as they look, are also known to help.

Personally, I always wear a black shirt, wide brim gardners hat with black underneath and my tablet has anti-glare.

You could also look into the Hoodman series of sun shades and extensions. Next best thing to goggles at a fraction of the price. I have one that fits my NVIDIA Shield. They may have something that would fit your device.

Reactions: pandora
Personally, I always wear a black shirt, wide brim gardners hat with black underneath and my tablet has anti-glare.
Exactly what I do, when I have to... also have a DIY hood made of cardboard and clear packing tape shaped very much like the hoodman and about 13 in. tall, with a cutout in the bottom of the backside for reaching into and touching the tablet. Put your face to that and it's like sitting in a dark theater.

IMO, a three-sided sun shade is next to worthless... an enclosed sun hood with a dark shirt is the only way to see perfectly

:):)Never have any sun issues with my Samsung 10/1, and I got bad eyes now days

Using a blanket or such, you lose VLS. I like to see the drone, but admit I lose sight of it over the ocean.
I agree, VLOS is key and as such I rarely look at the screen. I do find I really need it when I get disoriented and have to turn the thing around. Just follow the green line. Or deploy the Home Lock button!

I agree, VLOS is key and as such I rarely look at the screen. I do find I really need it when I get disoriented and have to turn the thing around. Just follow the green line. Or deploy the Home Lock button!
Yep agree on that,my eyes not like watching screen unless I taking pictures,,and my eyes getting bad so VLOS is reduced heaps,bummer,,need some bionic eyes of ebay

No tablet does well in the sun. I have heard of people doing what you described with a blanket until it gets too hot. Big umbrella hats, as goofy as they look, are also known to help.

You could also look into the Hoodman series of sun shades and extensions. Next best thing to goggles at a fraction of the price. I have one that fits my NVIDIA Shield. They may have something that would fit your device.
I have a Goodman too, works very well even in really bright sunlight.

Any ideas most welcome.

Here is a link to the Hoodman that I fly with on my 9.7" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with my P3P. I bought both the HAV2 and the extension HAV2E. Been using them for several years. No glare, no reflections, just pure bright video FPV. Works in the direct noon day Arizona sun.
It is a bit bulky, but worth every bit of the bulk. I run my tablet bright too, so when I peak outside my eyes are already adapted to the bright sun. (My wife is my spotter - just for the trolls - Ha Ha ;))

Joe
KC7GHT

Just for Fun. ;)

Rod

Interesting stuff! I may be going from the sublime to the ridiculous as I've just taken delivery of a brolly that fixes to my hat (just wondering what hat to wear). Have already had an accident at home with it by not allowing side space when walking through doorways !!

Reactions: RodPad
How are commerically made BIG hoods attached to the controller etc.?
I have made a large/deep trial hood from a breakfast cereal carton, it is mounted by 'trapping' it between the screen and the controller's screen holder.
As a trial hood it works well but lacks stiffness (possibly the card is too thin but the preexisting cuts of the original pattern shape don't help) besides which the wind sees it as a sail.
This makes me wonder how the big commercially made hoods are mounted on the controller?

I had been thinking they need to be selling a Phantom Pilots hat that has a fold out large bill. :)

Maybe it could be remote controlled, when you start the props it automatically extends or folds out. :rolleyes:

Or, a less expensive model, it has a prop on top the hat, you spin it with your hand, and it extends out. o_O

Rod

Hey there! I stumbled upon this forum post about the "back glare" issue on the Amazon Fire HD8, and I wanted to chime in even though it's an old thread. I totally understand the struggle of using your device outside. What solutions have your tried since you posted this? Has anything worked for you? One thing that comes to mind is car sun protection for infants. Hear me out - they have these things called Snap Shades that you can put on your car windows to block out the sun for your little ones. Maybe something like that could work for your tablet too? Here's the link in case you're interested: Baby Car Sunshades Landing Also, have you considered trying out a fabric drape instead of your DIY hood made of black card? It could be worth a shot! Anyways, just wanted to offer some suggestions. Let us know if you found a solution that works for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavikhan
Hey there! I stumbled upon this forum post about the "back glare" issue on the Amazon Fire HD8, and I wanted to chime in even though it's an old thread. I totally understand the struggle of using your device outside. What solutions have your tried since you posted this? Has anything worked for you? One thing that comes to mind is car sun protection for infants. Hear me out - they have these things called Snap Shades that you can put on your car windows to block out the sun for your little ones. Maybe something like that could work for your tablet too? Here's the link in case you're interested: Baby Car Sunshades Landing Also, have you considered trying out a fabric drape instead of your DIY hood made of black card? It could be worth a shot! Anyways, just wanted to offer some suggestions. Let us know if you found a solution that works for you!
Why not put one of these sunshades on your car window, and then sit in the car while you operate the drone? I am seriously considering this. I think it's brilliant.

I have made several of my own sun shades and find the only way I can prevent my sunlit face from reflecting back at me is by making the roof angle less than 90 degrees to the screen. By doing so, you just get the reflection of the black underside of the roof back at you, which is no reflection at all. Using this design will also require you to hold the screen at a slight angle to see it under the roof, but it is still easy to see and touch the screen. The screen/roof angle will determine the length of roof needed to block your reflection. This is easy to experiment with by simply taking your phone or tablet screen outside on a sunny day and taping a piece of cardboard along the top edge. Then determine the angle you need to hold it at in order to not see your face reflecting back at you. Hope this helps.

hood_angle.png

Another workable alternative is to build a deep enough box shade around the tablet with some contoured edging for your face to go up against. and completely block out the light. But this will require a door opening on the bottom side to be able to reach in and touch the screen. I've tried this and it works, but is a little bulky.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilot2 and Mavikhan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31