Sun Shade

Reaction score
I use Amazon fire HD8 with my Standard, works well.
I have the usual problem with "back glare" when viewing (all I seem to see is the sky)
Have made up a DIY hood of black card which does its best but am wondering if some sort of fabric drape (like the old photographers used) would be worth trying.
The hood is OK for general use (just) and stills, but videos are a bit hit and miss due to the sky reflecting behind my head.
I see there is a "what the butler saw" gadget available in USA, looks a bit too much?
Any ideas most welcome.

Reaction score
I have the usual problem with "back glare" when viewing (all I seem to see is the sky)
Have made up a DIY hood of black card which does its best but am wondering if some sort of fabric drape (like the old photographers used) would be worth trying.
The hood is OK for general use (just) and stills, but videos are a bit hit and miss due to the sky reflecting behind my head.
I see there is a "what the butler saw" gadget available in USA, looks a bit too much?
Any ideas most welcome.
No tablet does well in the sun. I have heard of people doing what you described with a blanket until it gets too hot. Big umbrella hats, as goofy as they look, are also known to help.

Personally, I always wear a black shirt, wide brim gardners hat with black underneath and my tablet has anti-glare.

You could also look into the Hoodman series of sun shades and extensions. Next best thing to goggles at a fraction of the price. I have one that fits my NVIDIA Shield. They may have something that would fit your device.

Reactions: pandora
Reaction score
Personally, I always wear a black shirt, wide brim gardners hat with black underneath and my tablet has anti-glare.
Exactly what I do, when I have to... also have a DIY hood made of cardboard and clear packing tape shaped very much like the hoodman and about 13 in. tall, with a cutout in the bottom of the backside for reaching into and touching the tablet. Put your face to that and it's like sitting in a dark theater.

IMO, a three-sided sun shade is next to worthless... an enclosed sun hood with a dark shirt is the only way to see perfectly

ianzone

LONEWOLVE
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
:):)Never have any sun issues with my Samsung 10/1, and I got bad eyes now days

Reaction score
Using a blanket or such, you lose VLS. I like to see the drone, but admit I lose sight of it over the ocean.
I agree, VLOS is key and as such I rarely look at the screen. I do find I really need it when I get disoriented and have to turn the thing around. Just follow the green line. Or deploy the Home Lock button!

Reactions: pandora and ianzone

ianzone

LONEWOLVE
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I agree, VLOS is key and as such I rarely look at the screen. I do find I really need it when I get disoriented and have to turn the thing around. Just follow the green line. Or deploy the Home Lock button!
Yep agree on that,my eyes not like watching screen unless I taking pictures,,and my eyes getting bad so VLOS is reduced heaps,bummer,,need some bionic eyes of ebay

Reaction score
No tablet does well in the sun. I have heard of people doing what you described with a blanket until it gets too hot. Big umbrella hats, as goofy as they look, are also known to help.

You could also look into the Hoodman series of sun shades and extensions. Next best thing to goggles at a fraction of the price. I have one that fits my NVIDIA Shield. They may have something that would fit your device.
I have a Goodman too, works very well even in really bright sunlight.

Reaction score
Any ideas most welcome.
Here is a link to the Hoodman that I fly with on my 9.7" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with my P3P. I bought both the HAV2 and the extension HAV2E. Been using them for several years. No glare, no reflections, just pure bright video FPV. Works in the direct noon day Arizona sun.
It is a bit bulky, but worth every bit of the bulk. I run my tablet bright too, so when I peak outside my eyes are already adapted to the bright sun. (My wife is my spotter - just for the trolls - Ha Ha ;))

Joe
KC7GHT

RodPad

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Just for Fun. ;)

Rod

Reaction score
Interesting stuff! I may be going from the sublime to the ridiculous as I've just taken delivery of a brolly that fixes to my hat (just wondering what hat to wear). Have already had an accident at home with it by not allowing side space when walking through doorways !!

Reactions: RodPad
Reaction score
How are commerically made BIG hoods attached to the controller etc.?
I have made a large/deep trial hood from a breakfast cereal carton, it is mounted by 'trapping' it between the screen and the controller's screen holder.
As a trial hood it works well but lacks stiffness (possibly the card is too thin but the preexisting cuts of the original pattern shape don't help) besides which the wind sees it as a sail.
This makes me wonder how the big commercially made hoods are mounted on the controller?

RodPad

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I had been thinking they need to be selling a Phantom Pilots hat that has a fold out large bill. :)

Maybe it could be remote controlled, when you start the props it automatically extends or folds out. :rolleyes:

Or, a less expensive model, it has a prop on top the hat, you spin it with your hand, and it extends out. o_O

Rod

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jherranz84