nVidia Shield K1 Sun Shade DIY

Reaction score
Not feeling happy about throwing $20 out the door when I can make something usable myself, I did so. Here is a DIY sun shade for the K1 that will cost <$3

Sorry for bad photos, battery was dead in my DSLR so I had to use my phone.

Poster board. Velcro dots. (Both Dollar Store items). And a 3D print. All work in about a half hour.

Its designed for the poster board shade to come off and fold to lie behind the shield (with the holder still attached) in a sleeve, case or backpack. This should require virtually no extra room in storage packs.

If anyone wants the print along with instructions to build:
nVidia Shield™ K1 Sun Shield by Wolfie

Reactions: Rypper1
Mind if I make a suggestion, Wolfiesden? I think you will find that the shade works better if angled less than 90 degrees to the screen. A shade at 90 degrees will still allow your sun-lit face to be reflected back at you off the screen. But by angling the shade at less than 90 (you will have to play with the angle depending on the forward length of your shade), only the black underside of the shade will be reflected back at you off the screen -- resulting in no reflection at all, even in the brightest sunlight. Commercial manufacturers of shades have actually missed this important aspect. I recommend making the cuts similar to below and remounting the Velcro dots. I had struggled with screen reflection until I angled my shade.

hood_angle.png better shade cut.jpg

Attachments

• better shade cut.jpg
    better shade cut.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 2,073
Suggestions always welcome! Especially on a DIY project anyone can make and improve on for the next guy down the line.

I have tried my design and it didn't seem a problem. However, since I already have the poster board and plenty of velcro dots left, cutting another shade with the angle you suggest is a free-to-try option.

Reactions: MapMaker53
Looks great! I'll give you $4 for it and a nice 25% profit.:D

We've made a variant (remix of the print) using a foam-board. Check it out here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought about foam core too but I thought it might be too bulky in the backpack so I went with poster board. Nice to see you make it work for your needs.

I thought about foam core too but I thought it might be too bulky in the backpack so I went with poster board. Nice to see you make it work for your needs.
Nice work Wolfiesden, I like that you gave credit to someone else's printer design even though you only used a slight portion of their design and doesn't look anything like theirs. Kudo's to you.

Thats how I play. If someone gives me something and I use it to make something else, they deserve contributing credit. A derivative work is a derivative work. Doesn't matter how much of it you use. Many people believe everything on the net is free for whatever you want to use it for. I am not one of those people. Sometimes I feel I am in the minority.

Reactions: skypixels
Cheers! Thanks for sharing your design, definitely got us inspired to create a video! We made sure to link your "Thingverse" in the video description.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers