Sudden Complete Power Loss

Regarding the "glue" - they put a silicone-type sealant over solder joints that have potential to be strained to protect the joint, also on some plugs and sockets for the same reason. Some people have reported cold-soldered joints on occasion in the early aircraft but I haven't seen any similar comments recently so it seems it was an early QC issue... A bad joint wouldn't explain erratic flying or sudden descents, etc, though. Have you calibrated your compass in a good, open area? Have you tried doing an advanced IMU calibration?

Hey, pull_up
Being that I am a NYJourneyman Evideosqcian and Journeyman Instrumentation Mechanic I am up on electronics.
Working for GM we build a lot of boards and machinery, and this board looks like the wires were glued!
Upon the wires popping up from board there was no residue holding the wires? If you apply over the solder joints and the board if a wire pulls up you would see strands of the silicon/glue whatever?
This board shows none of that!
Being that I have other uav's I feel that I am up on pre checks and keeping firmware/software updated!
Also it was a Brand New Vision!
I also live where its cold and snowy so even owning it 10 days it might have flown two days!
Plus I own my 3Drobotics uav's I like better!
Why did I buy this then?
I like to compare myself and thought about using it for something special I had in mind!
I know that even a brand new unit could sit awhile before bought and in need of updating!
Plus compass calibration is tops on my list as I want my stuff to return!
I felt before this happening that the pilots that had FlyAway's were at fault?
I video myself not just the flight so I can replay my total flight and my actions.

I can't explain the feeling in my gut when this vision took off and I had no control!
And my anger at DJI support saying I owned it beyond the 10 day limit they have on returns!
They won't even pay to have it returned as they want me to do?
If I'm getting the same vision back I'll solder myself!
As of now my credit card is disputing this but I'll tell you one promise!
DJI has just created a monster as I am on YouTube as a live commentator with unlimited minutes to post, and will now ride them to my death! Being retired I'll go to shows where their at and show potential customers my videos

Can you please take a picture of the inside and post it here?
I would love to see the "glued" connections!

I'm not sure what a "Journeyman" means, but if you're up on electronics and say there should be a recall because glued and not soldered joints are "common" you need to point to other examples because yours is the only one I've seen (although we haven't seen them yet).

All electronic products have out of box failures or a % of QC misses as you well know (it would seem). The customer service thing is a separate issue, and you have put a dispute in with the credit card company over this so it should be resolved.

I just wonder that this one experience has you so riled over an RC quad and an unfavourable customer service experience that you appear to want to devote a lot of time and energy to "rid[ing] them to [your] death". I'd just get my money back on the credit card and spend the time and energy having fun flying my other stuff if it was me. Do you have an agenda? Just seems a heck of a reaction... And yes, pics of the glued-only joints would be good.

First thing I did when I got my P2Z was pop the lid off to check the soldering. I was very impressed with the build quality and the solder joints.

I would also so be interested in seeing photos of your bad connections.

Pull_Up said:
I'm not sure what a "Journeyman" means, but if you're up on electronics and say there should be a recall because glued and not soldered joints are "common" you need to point to other examples because yours is the only one I've seen (although we haven't seen them yet).

All electronic products have out of box failures or a % of QC misses as you well know (it would seem). The customer service thing is a separate issue, and you have put a dispute in with the credit card company over this so it should be resolved.

I just wonder that this one experience has you so riled over an RC quad and an unfavourable customer service experience that you appear to want to devote a lot of time and energy to "rid[ing] them to [your] death". I'd just get my money back on the credit card and spend the time and energy having fun flying my other stuff if it was me. Do you have an agenda? Just seems a heck of a reaction... And yes, pics of the glued-only joints would be good.

Agree with your thoughts. When I looked inside my controller, I see "hot melt glue" or similar compound that is to keep wires in place and out of the way of moving parts. This is a normal manufacturing technique for items such as this and I wonder if this is what the writer is referring to in the complaint?

I was not a bit surprised to see hot glue type adhesive on wires and plugs prone to vibration. Having been a Helicopter Crew chief in the Army we use to 'Safety Tie' just about anything to keep it from coming loose in flight. I assumed the 'glue' was for the same purpose and welcomed it as an added safety precaution. I went thru my vision with a magnifier and my solder station to insure I had no 'floating' connections. It is a shame that the obvious bad solder technique used was considered 'good enough' to pass QC, to much solder was used and the temp of the tips was a little low for a good flow. Having built many a 'HAM' transmitter or Receiver I shudder at the problems that can be caused by this type of work, especially in a device made to fly several hundred feet off the ground.

semaj said:
Was flying my P2V a few hours ago and a few minutes after take off at around 84% battery on my phone screen and about 150 feet up, ALL the lights just went off... My eyes couldn't believe it... Just out the blues, all the lights just went off... The phantom started falling from the sky... No battery alerts at all... It fell inverted onto a side road... It hit nothing... The battery was still powered on but no power on the unit... One of the the prop blades tip broke and all four center caps are scraped pretty good, but other than that, you wouldn't know anything happened to it... Except, it will not power up... I tried a different battery, same thing... What ever happened up there, what ever killed the power to the unit is still in place... I just received it on Jan 2nd... Only eight days... What the f???... I've emailed B&H to initiate an RMA... Has anyone experienced a complete loss of power in mid flight without ANY warnings before?

I had the same thing happen to me came down with a bang from 200ft up did have d a lot of damage I fitted new case props skids and so on after all that still not right just keeps coming not DJI battery when I was checking all the leads I notice one of the chip on the main board was red hot within sec of putting the battery in have now taken it back to the shop to be look at they was on about sending it back to DJI

I opened my P2V up for the first time yesterday to install a FlyTrex core (so awesome!). I didn't notice any issues and the solder connections seemed solid. I didn't want to prod them too awful much and *cause* a problem. I still *hope* these cases are rare. I'm probably over 100 flights now.

I did worry, while installing the FlyTrex core, that the extra wires might cause some pressure on one of the solder joints. The GPS splitter cable was a tight fit, or maybe I just didn't position it well in the shell.

Key thing to remember is: Hardware failure *can* happen, and I always assume it will at any point, so am very careful about what I'm flying over. The copter will probably be totalled from a fall of any reasonable height, over land or water, but it's more important to protect the property and safety of others.

The OP posted this back in Jan.. Was this issue resolved, was the problem ever identified?
Could it have been battery failure etc? ... Just curious as to outcome.

The Rookie

dbcch said:
I opened my P2V up for the first time yesterday to install a FlyTrex core (so awesome!). I didn't notice any issues and the solder connections seemed solid. I didn't want to prod them too awful much and *cause* a problem. I still *hope* these cases are rare. I'm probably over 100 flights now. How many flights had you done before this happened to you?

I did worry, while installing the FlyTrex core, that the extra wires might cause some pressure on one of the solder joints. The GPS splitter cable was a tight fit, or maybe I just didn't position it well in the shell.

Key thing to remember is: Hardware failure *can* happen, and I always assume it will at any point, so am very careful about what I'm flying over. The copter will probably be totalled from a fall of any reasonable height, over land or water, but it's more important to protect the property and safety of others.

I know mine as not been sorted out yet still in the hands of DJI but when I get it back will post the out come of it, its going to be a few weeks if not months before I get it back I did see on fb one guy had the same fault and it turn out to be the main board he had to wait 12 weeks to get it back

shaun27 said:
I know mine as not been sorted out yet still in the hands of DJI but when I get it back will post the out come of it, its going to be a few weeks if not months before I get it back I did see on fb one guy had the same fault and it turn out to be the main board he had to wait 12 weeks to get it back

Weeks? Months? What?!?! I'd freaking be going nuts if I had to send my quadcopter to DJI and wait that long for servicing. With that kind of extreme servicing time, I'd have probably gone to some local hobby shop to have it serviced, even if it did kill the warranty. I feel for you man!

dbcch said:
shaun27 said:

Weeks? Months? What?!?! I'd freaking be going nuts if I had to send my quadcopter to DJI and wait that long for servicing. With that kind of extreme servicing time, I'd have probably gone to some local hobby shop to have it serviced, even if it did kill the warranty. I feel for you man!

knowing what I no now I would have just been better off buying the parts and doing my self if its not back by the 15 of this month am going to get a p2v+ and my wife can have my p2v when it comes back

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers