Stupid physical positioning question

Reaction score
I'm curious about users flying with GPS in either home or course lock position. Do you stand in the same position or do you move around to sort of track your PV2. I would "assume" if move a great distance it will throw things off when I try to control the PV2 since I have moved off the home position that the PV2 recorded or does it really matter?

TIA
David

Super-D said:
I'm curious about users flying with GPS in either home or course lock position. Do you stand in the same position or do you move around to sort of track your PV2. I would "assume" if move a great distance it will throw things off when I try to control the PV2 since I have moved off the home position that the PV2 recorded or does it really matter?

TIA
David

Course lock will remain the same and i like that feature a lot. Course lock is flying straight lines.
It is better to stay in the same place when you fly home lock. Where you enable home lock, that is where your home lock position is, of course you know that.

When you are a new with this, i can advice to stay where you are and dont walk around when you use ioc.
I noticed the phantom is very sensitive around the home position and it is highly recommended you practice when ioc is disabled so you can take over control manually when something goes wrong. For example, i fly manually when i land to keep my skills for manual flying.

It is not a stupid question.

I would advise new users to not even enable "manual" in their flight control selection. Leave it at GPS/Atti/Atti.
And, IOC is a great tool-but learn its limitations. For example, the aircraft needs to be 10 meters away from you, to use Home Lock...but, for course lock, it doesn't. Also, the manual says the aircraft needs to be running for 30 seconds before you can enable Course Lock. I've not tested that.

Home Lock is great for the first time fliers. You will lose orientation, and sometimes it happens very quickly. The second you realize you don't know what direction the aircraft is pointed-switch into GPS(if you were in Atti mode), and Home Lock, add power to climb, and pull back on the stick. Once your Phantom has come back into a position that you can figure out it's orientation, then you can go back to normal flying.
This one feature has saved me countless times. Remember; Altitude is your friend, and the ground is your enemy. So, keep some distance from your enemy.
It's good to always have an "emergency drill"..or an immediate series of steps you always take, in the event you pull/push on a stick, and the Phantom doesn't go the direction you thought it would(might be pointed towards you).

In that situtaion-immediately switch to GPS mode, center the right stick, and add power to climb, while switching to Home Lock.....pull back on the right stick, and wait for your Phantom to recover/return. when the right stick is centered in GPS-even if your Phantom was flying forward quickly, it will come to a fairly quick stop, and just hold position.

With the latest firmware and Naza-M mode, it is possible to reset the home point by flipping S2 from middle to bottom position about 5 times. You can similarly reset the Course Lock orientation by flipping S2 between top and middle position. I tried it - it works. You have to have successfully obtained a home position previously for it to work.
This could be useful if you want to walk around following the PV.

havasuphoto said:
I would advise new users to not even enable "manual" in their flight control selection. Leave it at GPS/Atti/Atti.
And, IOC is a great tool-but learn its limitations. For example, the aircraft needs to be 10 meters away from you, to use Home Lock...but, for course lock, it doesn't. Also, the manual says the aircraft needs to be running for 30 seconds before you can enable Course Lock. I've not tested that.

Home Lock is great for the first time fliers. You will lose orientation, and sometimes it happens very quickly. The second you realize you don't know what direction the aircraft is pointed-switch into GPS(if you were in Atti mode), and Home Lock, add power to climb, and pull back on the stick. Once your Phantom has come back into a position that you can figure out it's orientation, then you can go back to normal flying.
This one feature has saved me countless times. Remember; Altitude is your friend, and the ground is your enemy. So, keep some distance from your enemy.
It's good to always have an "emergency drill"..or an immediate series of steps you always take, in the event you pull/push on a stick, and the Phantom doesn't go the direction you thought it would(might be pointed towards you).

In that situtaion-immediately switch to GPS mode, center the right stick, and add power to climb, while switching to Home Lock.....pull back on the right stick, and wait for your Phantom to recover/return. when the right stick is centered in GPS-even if your Phantom was flying forward quickly, it will come to a fairly quick stop, and just hold position.

Good story. I agree on most things of course because it is explained very well.

Before there was ioc on the PV i was just playing around and decided to try the training guide without ioc. This changed my mind and i wish i did a training like this before i start flying multirotors.
Here you can find the training guide: http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/ in the list of user manuals.

Your "home base" and your "recorded nose position" is determined in your first 30 seconds. In the Home Lock mode Forward is radial out from your "home base", independent of where you are standing. Back will take you directly to home base. All of this is independent of the multi-rotor attitude. It is simply out and back. If you have "lost" your multi-rotor set Home Lock mode. Pull back on the stick and the multi-rotor comes straight home. Makes life simple.

Course Lock uses the "recorded nose" position to define forward, your new North. It doesn't care about the multi-rotor attitude. No matter where the multi-rotor is located, after you switch to Course Lock it will fly forward parallel to your new North.

We don't have waypoints yet or a Target Mode, but we will.

jndbrown said:
Your "home base" and your "recorded nose position" is determined in your first 30 seconds. In the Home Lock mode Forward is radial out from your "home base", independent of where you are standing. Back will take you directly to home base. All of this is independent of the multi-rotor attitude. It is simply out and back. If you have "lost" your multi-rotor set Home Lock mode. Pull back on the stick and the multi-rotor comes straight home. Makes life simple.

Course Lock uses the "recorded nose" position to define forward, your new North. It doesn't care about the multi-rotor attitude. No matter where the multi-rotor is located, after you switch to Course Lock it will fly forward parallel to your new North.

What makes you say that?

havasuphoto said:
jndbrown said:

What makes you say that?

The question is about fundamentals, basic ideas - Course Lock and Home Lock. It is not about Ground Station software.
What if you tried do do the inverse of Home Lock? Substitute Home coordinates with some Target coordinates. You now have a Target Lock mode. It is just an idea. The initial question is just trying to get some ideas, an understanding of some basic concepts. Have you upgraded your v1.1.x? Have you down loaded the new Ground Station app?

The "stupid question" is a first time user, trying too understand the basics - radial (Home Lock) and parallel (Course Lock). I just thought it would be interesting to think about the "inverse" - Target Mode & Waypoints. Do you think my explanation was helpful?

jndbrown said:
havasuphoto said:
jndbrown said:

What makes you say that?

The question is about fundamentals, basic ideas - Course Lock and Home Lock. It is not about Ground Station software.
What if you tried do do the inverse of Home Lock? Substitute Home coordinates with some Target coordinates. You now have a Target Lock mode. It is just an idea. The initial question is just trying to get some ideas, an understanding of some basic concepts. Have you upgraded your v1.1.x? Have you down loaded the new Ground Station app?

The "stupid question" is a first time user, trying too understand the basics - radial (Home Lock) and parallel (Course Lock). I just thought it would be interesting to think about the "inverse" - Target Mode & Waypoints. Do you think my explanation was helpful?
I'm not the one to ask-I have a Phantom version 1.X....in all ways, it's better than 1.1 because I have the Futaba RX/TX, dual antenna's, firmware 4.02, and I don't want self-tightening props(can't balance them easily).
So, you're question, and the OP's, is more geared toward the Vision owners, as they have a "bluetooth" transmitter? on the aircraft. I have no room for that, or need.

You can reset Home Lock to anywhere you want. Just fly to the spot, and switch between off and H/L about 4 times-the light will blink green really fast-you've just recorded a new home point.

I do best using my own FPV transmitter set-up(600mw)..and the iOSD Mini. That's what I'm used too. I don't trust Bluetooth because of it's range limitations, and the possibility of interference from other Bluetooth devices.

The Phantom 2 Vision does not use bluetooth in any way shape or form. The radio control is 5.8ghz and the FPV is 2.4ghz wifi. Range out of the box is great and easily meets and exceeds the 300 meter claim and can be easily increased simply by modding the wifi repeaters antenna.

BenDronePilot said:
The Phantom 2 Vision does not use bluetooth in any way shape or form. The radio control is 5.8ghz and the FPV is 2.4ghz wifi. Range out of the box is great and easily meets and exceeds the 300 meter claim and can be easily increased simply by modding the wifi repeaters antenna.
Good to know, thanks. I'm sticking with the Go Pro 3 footage.....2.4Ghz radio control and 5.8Ghz transmitter. I get easily 500+ meters out of it, and over 100 meters up, from that 500 feet. Good enough for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl